My friend was using me - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My friend was using me

Mary and I have been friend for a few years. She, a single mother, moved to my town after getting separated, having suffered an abusive marriage. Since meeting for the first time and after listening to her story I have been very supportive, especially since she was new in town. Over the years we developed a close relationship but I sometimes felt used and I have seen her using other people in different ways especially by asking different favours, sometimes futile ones. But I was always justifying her behaviour to the fact that she was a single mother, settling in a new town, feeling a little lonely. If we meet for a coffee she would talk a lot about herself, showing very little interest in me. About two years ago she got a dog and I have become - I still don't know how- her dog sitter. At first I didn't mind helping out - same reason as explained above - but then she started asking more frequently and for longer breaks and I finally said no. ( yeah me!) After my refusal she stopped talking to me for about 2 weeks( it was a relief to be honest) It's Christmas, she sends a msg saying if we can meet for coffee. She hands me a very expensive gift voucher, while I give the usual affordable gifts, which we would normally exchange.I ask her to take the voucher back, since it's way too much but she insist! ( I still haven't used it ...) I feel guilty. Few days later I discovered that she had written a very nasty post about friendship on her personal blog.(Friends taking advantage??!!!) A bit hurt I confront her but she denies and tells me a story which sounds totally fictional. Again she stops talking. ( this is someone who would text every day)

Three month later - for my birthday she "stalks' me with a greeting msg by email, by text msg and even a card delivered to my workplace. I reply with a thank you to the email, but never mention the card. The following day I receive a very long msg in which she asking why I am so distant ... that makes me feel guilty but than I realise she is the one who had stopped talking,since I refused to watch her dog, and she is the one who had written that nasty blog post. Sorry for the long story!Anyway I reply that I am taking some time off from friendships... to sort out my own private life and work on my low energy.She replies thinking that I am sick and wishing me to get well soon, with some smily faces...but I tell her that I am not sick, but Im simply opening my eyes ... She gets really crossed and says ' that's it than, enough!' ... ? Soo was my gut feeling right all along? Am I dealing with a self centered manipulative person?
Posted via Mobile Device
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:03 PM
Hail Raeden Da Gawd

My Mood: Yeehaw
This needs to be moved out of General Discussion ASAP. I just read the the title and almost left for another 6 months.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Hail Raeden Da Gawd

Ok, my bad first post. Honest mistake, maybe. Please tell me the whole site isn't still just basically the frustration section.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:29 PM
Crazy Psycho Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousisjelly View Post
Please tell me the whole site isn't still just basically the frustration section.
... and yet, here you are. Didn't you make a thread a while back that this place sucks? Lol.

"Drifting and autocross is for the weak. We only do maximum velocity."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:31 PM
Crazy Psycho Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticpizza View Post
So was my gut feeling right all along? Am I dealing with a self centered manipulative person?
If you feel like you are being used by someone, you most likely are.

"Drifting and autocross is for the weak. We only do maximum velocity."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Hail Raeden Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmCodeMonkey View Post
... and yet, here you are. Didn't you make a thread a while back that this place sucks? Lol.

Yuuup and yet here I am...... months later to see if it's gotten any better like it was when I first joined...was there supposed to be some point to your post? lol.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:36 AM
bleeeaaergh

Manipulative opportunist;stay away
Posted via Mobile Device

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page