Do you ever feel people treat you slightly different - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Do you ever feel people treat you slightly different

I'm getting the impression that my family and friends treat me like there is something wrong with me like there is something slightly off with about me but they won't tell me I have asked them but I think they don't want to hurt my feelings and it's making me paranoid it's like they got to act different around me like I'm not normal do you guys experience that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:46 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Scared
That happens to me everywhere I go. Not with family but at every workplace and every school Iíve been to. Iím shy, kind, distant, a bit clumsy but serious and that combination makes people scratch their heads I guess. I canít help who I am so itís going to keep happening.

I've been seeking happiness for years.
I've lived in hiding from the darkness.
I've spent so many hours in question.
I've prayed that God finds me soon.
Only to realize I must find myself.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:24 AM
In Liquidation

Yes, even to this day. People will treat me like everyone else, until they know me longer and they start treating me differently, as in they lose interest in me. I kind of suspect now the main reason is because I don't showcase my personality much when I interact with people. I am always very safe and guarded. It's like I am a poorly and shallow written fictional character.

Only difference is... back then when I was young, I always try to figure out why, whether it was them or me, and figure out with constant trial and error in changing my personality and behavior for it to not matter at all. But now, I don't care and just learn to accept it and live with it. Although to be honest, this will probably end up catching up to me and give me repercussions in the long term. Given how in the real world, especially today, it is mostly about social networking aka friends and/or relationships.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 PM
It's not easy being green

Language: Bocce... it's like a second language to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
Yes, even to this day. People will treat me like everyone else, until they know me longer and they start treating me differently, as in they lose interest in me. I kind of suspect now the main reason is because I don't showcase my personality much when I interact with people. I am always very safe and guarded. It's like I am a poorly and shallow written fictional character.

Only difference is... back then when I was young, I always try to figure out why, whether it was them or me, and figure out with constant trial and error in changing my personality and behavior for it to not matter at all. But now, I don't care and just learn to accept it and live with it. Although to be honest, this will probably end up catching up to me and give me repercussions in the long term. Given how in the real world, especially today, it is mostly about social networking aka friends and/or relationships.
Sadly, I can relate quite a bit to this. I've come to expect that people will treat me differently. It's honestly more awkward when I meet someone new, and they treat me normally. Or at very least, it stands out. I'm also very guarded. So much so, that I wonder if a personality can atrophy, because I feel like I don't have much of one left.

If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 AM
In Liquidation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dream View Post
Sadly, I can relate quite a bit to this. I've come to expect that people will treat me differently. It's honestly more awkward when I meet someone new, and they treat me normally. Or at very least, it stands out. I'm also very guarded. So much so, that I wonder if a personality can atrophy, because I feel like I don't have much of one left.

Yeah I get that too. If I haven't been hanging out with people for quite a while, and then I get together with people again, I feel socially rusty and less socially energized. I feel less talkative and not as outgoing. Goes to say, you don't use it you lose it.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:09 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I notice people are dismissive of me and don't have respect for me. I don't particularly interested people, so I fade into the background and get ignored.

It is what it is and I get it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 01:40 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I think sometimes people I meet percieve my quietness or awkwardness as either some sort of deviency, stupidity or retardation & treat me accordingly, though I do overthink things they're probably really thinking about where to go on holidays this year or what to make for dinner & couldn't give a fig about me

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 06:29 PM
SAS Member

Language: German, English
pretty much happens to me also but everywhere.

i am a very sensitive guy in rl and i am also very serious and i dont tell jokes etc. like the blue elephant wrote, like i am a badly written, shallow fictional character who never really opens up or has anything interesting to say. who has no depth to him.

thats basically me. i think its mostly because of me being a introvert. i also know other guys who say the same about themselves, they also are perceived as shallow or idiots.

but in reality they only are introverted and serious. if you cant be the clown today, if you cant make people feel good or make people laugh, then you basically are threatet differently.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
Well, I'm a weirdo, so yeah. You have to be pretty messed up to want to be friends with someone like me.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 08:46 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Slightly?

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 09:14 PM
SAS Member

Yes, they do. I noticed it pretty early on in my life.

I have a deformed appearence, mental disorders and no defined outward personality as I was never afforded the opportunity to develop one. It's no wonder I'm treated differently and not in any sort of positive manner.

A deadly cocktail of life I have been served, indeed.

He who makes a beast out of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:12 AM
Tired

Language: English
It's almost impossible to be objective about this. Unless you can come up with clear examples (and that's really hard to do without it just being a reference to how you *think* or *feel* someone is treating you differently) then its highly probable it's just how *you* feel about it all.

That said I do kinda believe this about myself, and it would make sense, my social interactions aren't smooth, so someone would probably pick up on that.

I also go around telling people I have anxiety etc, so might be that lol.

Dimethylamidophenyldimethylpyrazolone
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 02:20 AM
bipolar

Not really - except for if they know I have bipolar. I've noticed a couple of people react slightly strangely to that when I told them. I don't think most people even know what it is. As far as normal interactions with people they would probably never guess I get anxious. I can be very outgoing a lot of the time - and will most likely be the one guiding the conversation, or at least doing a lot of the talking. My anxiety is pretty variable obviously.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:35 PM

Well at home my Sister and I are similar but different. My Mom treat us the same but because of our own individuality there is {or would be} a slight difference in treatment.

Outside my Family, in public people treat me slightly different. They mistaken me for a 13 year old. My shyness and personality make it worse. Sometimes I feel like people view me like a young girl. Childlike. No where near a woman.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page