Recovered Social Anxiety - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Recovered Social Anxiety

I consider myself in control of my social anxiety. It once completely dominated my psyche. I knew it was a problem when i was on my way to see some friends from a city over and had to take the bus because my car was in the shop. When i arrived at the bus stop and the bus pulled up, i was too afraid to get on. I wasn't afraid of the bus crashing or being kidnapped, or any other fears like that. My fear was rather simple, "Do i pay when i get on, or pay when i get off." This simple fear of not knowing when to pay kept me from getting on that bus. I was afraid of how the people on the bus would view me for not knowing when to pay. That was so silly of me. This disorder no longer controls my life. I am, however, trying to get my other demons under control. Social Anxiety Disorder NEVER occurs by itself. If you have social anxiety disorder there is absolutely a reason why. I challenge all of you to find out the root of the problem. I am going to post a topic about Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I would advise you all to read up on the TRUE nature of Narcissism. It is more complexed then the stigma currently defines it to be.

By the way, my recovery from social anxiety disorder came from a combination of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as well as some Pharmacology. I am now 100% medication free, as i feel i no longer need it to function.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 10:41 PM
Aspergian

Hey Mobocracy

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 PM

I was anorexic and I had to find the root of what caused that. It was my Social Anxiety. Now you're telling me there are roots to Social Anxiety? If I keep digging up all these roots... the whole damn tree is just going to come tumbling down, I swear.

But really, that's awesome. I'm jealous. SA does control my life-- Every aspect of it. The part about your fear about not knowing when to pay keeping you off the bus, damn. How many of us have experienced something so similar to that? All of us, probably. I wish I could afford treatment of some kind, any kind.

Congrats on recovering

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:29 PM
SAS Member

Hello and welcome. That's so good to hear!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:32 PM
Permanently Banned

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I was anorexic and I had to find the root of what caused that. It was my Social Anxiety. Now you're telling me there are roots to Social Anxiety? If I keep digging up all these roots... the whole damn tree is just going to come tumbling down, I swear.

But really, that's awesome. I'm jealous. SA does control my life-- Every aspect of it.

Congrats on recovering
Most of my recovery was from self help books and taking the initiative into my own hands. I figured eventually i would have to face my fears head on. The key for me to continue to stay anxiety free is to always immerse myself in potentially embarrassing situations. I have friends that constantly make fun of me, yet i know they adore me. This has helped me accept that its ok to make mistakes and be embarrassed. I no longer fear embarrassment to the extent that I once did.

As for SA being a symptom of something greater, look up ego wounds and personality disorders. Our emotional vulnerabilities usually stem from childhood core wounds.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 11:57 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Welcome, Mobocracy!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:52 AM
Positively Revolting Hag

Welcome! Congrats on your recovery.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 AM
SAS Member

Language: English