How to stop feeling bad for others ? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: spanish , english , german

How to stop feeling bad for others ?

I notice that i became kinda emotional because of dealing with my mentall illness , there are times where i would feel bad for a homeless guy , sit there with my coat and give him money and just hear his story , how can i get over this and focus on myself , when i feel depressed i always paint in my garden , and it makes me happy , this time i painted a picture of a man who is homeless guy , i burned the painting , because i could not take it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 08:58 AM
Stoic Hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus alejandro View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwk9KEPcovU

I notice that i became kinda emotional because of dealing with my mentall illness , there are times where i would feel bad for a homeless guy , sit there with my coat and give him money and just hear his story , how can i get over this and focus on myself , when i feel depressed i always paint in my garden , and it makes me happy , this time i painted a picture of a man who is homeless guy , i burned the painting , because i could not take it
Jesus,

I just read an article on this. It talked about the difference between empathy and compassion. Empathy is feeling another's pain. Compassion is taking action to alleviate another's pain. It sounds like you have a tendency to overdo both. Too much empathy can be harmful for a person, and true selflessness is impossible, because a person just runs out of psychological steam. Even Christ once took to a boat to escape the crowds of needy people who jostled and pressed in upon him. Even humble, but exhausted Pope Francis was seen slapping a needy lady's had away. We can want to help a lot more than we are capable of helping. We can feel guilty about not helping. But it is best to ascertain what we can do at this moment without hurting ourselves financially or emotionally. If we keep our minds in the present, helping as we can here and now, and not worrying about those who still need help or regretting not helping those who are now beyond help, we need not be overtaxed by what is in front of us.
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/n...y-for-everyone

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
(Mick Jagger)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page