Hi from the UK - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hi from the UK

Hi guy's,

Here's a video I did last night, instead of the usual introduction post, just introducing myself a bit and talking about my issues with long periods of isolation, and how I've gone from being a recluse to doing what I can do now. I've never done a video like this before.

I hope you can understand me, as I was born close to Ozzy Osbourne. lol

I've consumed less drink and drugs than him though so you might be in with a chance.

Try and make it to the end, it's a long one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:10 PM
SAS Member

Liking the Brummie accent. Londoner here.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hi Steph,

Always nice to find someone who likes the accent instead of hating it. lol

I'd rather be a Londoner tbh.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:06 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Welcome, BrumHiker!

I like your accent. We have commercials in the States for a car insurance company called "Geico", whose mascot is a gecko with a very similar accent. He's a fine chap .

Yes - being outside is good for you. Talking to people can keep you sane .

Best of luck to ya in yer journeys!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

lol I have to youtube Geico now and I hope he doesn't sound terrible. lol

I might use it as username change in the future.

Oh and thanks, and you too.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I've just checked out the little green fella and he's a Londoner. There's a huge difference between a Birmingham and London accent.

Well have to get Steph to post her voice to hear the difference.

Go on Steph, I dare you.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 04:58 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brum Hiker View Post
I've just checked out the little green fella and he's a Londoner. There's a huge difference between a Birmingham and London accent.

Well have to get Steph to post her voice to hear the difference.

Go on Steph, I dare you.
To be fair, I think most Americans can't distinguish between the different types of English accents. We probably all sound the same to them lol.

Well I'm actually a guy haha, Steph Curry is the name of my favourite basketball player.

Here's post from a while back.. where I was telling an American user on here how to pronounce yogurt Apologies for the horrible quality of the mic.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...9-post865.html
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephCurry View Post
To be fair, I think most Americans can't distinguish between the different types of English accents. We probably all sound the same to them lol.

Well I'm actually a guy haha, Steph Curry is the name of my favourite basketball player.

Here's post from a while back.. where I was telling an American user on here how to pronounce yogurt Apologies for the horrible quality of the mic.

http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...9-post865.html
Lol I'm surprised how many think we're Australian.

I did think think you might be Stephen mate.

You have a nice voice btw mate, and you speak well.

Want to swap voices and accents?
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 PM
bipolar

Love the accent and the hat mate - good for you. It takes a lot of guts to do a video. would make me quite nervous tbh. I think you're story is inspirational, you're a great bloke!

Take care, Don.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Love the accent and the hat mate - good for you. It takes a lot of guts to do a video. would make me quite nervous tbh. I think you're story is inspirational, you're a great bloke!

Take care, Don.
Almost lost the hat in windy Brum today mate. I'll have to stitch a shoe lace on it so I can fix it under my chin, because I'm not buying another until this ones had it.

I was nervous in the video mate, more than I thought I'd be tbh, but nothing like the wreck I've been at times in the past.

I hope posting that video helps some people because anxiety, in any form can be terrible.

It can get better with age and time though, and I think a time might come when i just don't give a damn at all anymore.

I've got one foot in the grave already I feel and ain't much time left to be getting all nervous.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 06:35 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Almost lost the hat in windy Brum today mate. I'll have to stitch a shoe lace on it so I can fix it under my chin, because I'm not buying another until this ones had it.

I was nervous in the video mate, more than I thought I'd be tbh, but nothing like the wreck I've been at times in the past.

I hope posting that video helps some people because anxiety, in any form can be terrible.

It can get better with age and time though, and I think a time might come when i just don't give a damn at all anymore.

I've got one foot in the grave already I feel and ain't much time left to be getting all nervous.

I know exactly what you mean there - I've been like that lately. I've been living for 3 months now in a type of fancy private hotel. At first I was so worried about what other people would think of me it was ridiculous - always worried about who was out in the kitchen etc. But after a while you just get so bloody sick of it. May as well just get on with our lives mate because no-one is really all that concerned with us - they're too busy worrying about their own problems too.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
I know exactly what you mean there - I've been like that lately. I've been living for 3 months now in a type of fancy private hotel. At first I was so worried about what other people would think of me it was ridiculous - always worried about who was out in the kitchen etc. But after a while you just get so bloody sick of it. May as well just get on with our lives mate because no-one is really all that concerned with us - they're too busy worrying about their own problems too.
Are you working in the hotel Don?

It's true mate, most people have their own little worlds to deal with, and havn't got much time to pay attention to you.

When I was younger I was extremely hyper vigilant, paranoid that everyone was staring at me etc, but now, because the anxiety has calmed down I can sit on a bench or wherever and do a lot of people watching, and notice just how little attention others pay to other's, and to me.

And we're getting old Don, especially you , so we gotta say **** it sort of, and try our best not to let the anxiety get in the way.

I think my body has just stopped producing so much adrenaline as I get older as well, so things are easier.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 03:18 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Are you working in the hotel Don?

It's true mate, most people have their own little worlds to deal with, and havn't got much time to pay attention to you.

When I was younger I was extremely hyper vigilant, paranoid that everyone was staring at me etc, but now, because the anxiety has calmed down I can sit on a bench or wherever and do a lot of people watching, and notice just how little attention others pay to other's, and to me.

And we're getting old Don, especially you , so we gotta say **** it sort of, and try our best not to let the anxiety get in the way.

I think my body has just stopped producing so much adrenaline as I get older as well, so things are easier.

No, I'm just living here at the moment. And yeah, people are far too busy with their own lives or their own insecurities to really worry about us. But this doesn't necessarily stop the anxiety - it's incredible just how hyper-vigilant I still am most of the time. Noticing who is in the hall or whatever. It's not as bad as before though - and usually I'm not as bad once I actually get out the door and go outside.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:

No, I'm just living here at the moment. And yeah, people are far too busy with their own lives or their own insecurities to really worry about us. But this doesn't necessarily stop the anxiety - it's incredible just how hyper-vigilant I still am most of the time. Noticing who is in the hall or whatever. It's not as bad as before though - and usually I'm not as bad once I actually get out the door and go outside.
You look good for your age. Those beach runs, fresh fish, Indonesian women chasing after you etc do you good, you lucky *******.

I don't know why I'm much less hyper vigilant, it's just happened.

I was in a town in Wales last year with 15-20 pissed up late teens/early 20's, who I ended up getting on a bus with. Sat with them for a good 15 minutes outside by the pub and bus stop while one decided to smash a bottle into the bloody buses path, and they shouted at random people going about their saturday night.

Beer flying everywhere when they got on the bus and they were quite rowdy, and a couple of people couldn't wait to get off, one young lad looked terrified, but I felt hardly any anxiety.

I'd just hiked over 20 miles up and down a mountain though so was wrecked, so probably too tired to fire off all the adrenaline lol, but yeah, I just don't feel as anxious anywhere near as much.

I'm quite stocky and can put on a a bit of a mean appearance I think, and act really chilled and like nothing bothers me, so that helps.

That starts to fade quite quickly though if I have to start talking too much lol

Are you sure that you don't own that hotel btw? Free accommodation for me maybe if I pay for my own flight and grub?
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:18 AM
bipolar

Quote:
You look good for your age. Those beach runs, fresh fish, Indonesian women chasing after you etc do you good, you lucky *******.

I don't know why I'm much less hyper vigilant, it's just happened.

Are you sure that you don't own that hotel btw? Free accommodation for me maybe if I pay for my own flight and grub?
You make that sound pretty good mate - I'd better get back up there. And here I am stuck in bloody Melbourne in winter.

No, unfortunately I don't own it - I wish I did, this guy must make a fortune. He charges like a wounded bull too, it's unbelievable.

And yeah, I can relate a bit to just getting fed up with it all and just pushing yourself to get out there a bit more. I actually get worse when I'm back here in Australia, I find I can sort of withdraw back into myself. I need to get out there and push myself to do things again. I think the heat up in Indonesia actually helps a bit - it makes me feel better, I've always hated the cold. You wake up there early to a very bright sun and it's pretty hard to just stay inside.

I'll be up there again later this year probably - I'll meet you there if you like.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
You make that sound pretty good mate - I'd better get back up there. And here I am stuck in bloody Melbourne in winter.

No, unfortunately I don't own it - I wish I did, this guy must make a fortune. He charges like a wounded bull too, it's unbelievable.

And yeah, I can relate a bit to just getting fed up with it all and just pushing yourself to get out there a bit more. I actually get worse when I'm back here in Australia, I find I can sort of withdraw back into myself. I need to get out there and push myself to do things again. I think the heat up in Indonesia actually helps a bit - it makes me feel better, I've always hated the cold. You wake up there early to a very bright sun and it's pretty hard to just stay inside.

I'll be up there again later this year probably - I'll meet you there if you like.
Never heard that before, charges like a wounded bull.

Let's see if my numbers come up on the Euromillioms lotto tonight and I might just pop over to Melbourne or Indo.

Would be a cracking experience to do either.

How long do you go to Indo for?

I know what you mean mate. You get back home and get the post holiday blues that normal folk get, but when you suffer from SA etc it can be worse, and you can start to sink into an unhealthy pattern again.

I need my numbers to come mate then I can travel endlessly and never get post holiday blues, because I wouldn't be still for longer than five minutes, I'd be all over the place. All over the place in a good way of course.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:16 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Never heard that before, charges like a wounded bull.

Let's see if my numbers come up on the Euromillioms lotto tonight and I might just pop over to Melbourne or Indo.

Would be a cracking experience to do either.

How long do you go to Indo for?

I know what you mean mate. You get back home and get the post holiday blues that normal folk get, but when you suffer from SA etc it can be worse, and you can start to sink into an unhealthy pattern again.

I need my numbers to come mate then I can travel endlessly and never get post holiday blues, because I wouldn't be still for longer than five minutes, I'd be all over the place. All over the place in a good way of course.
It always just comes down to money but usually a few weeks or so. It's cheap there and you can get a hotel room for a very reasonable price. One I stay at a lot in Kuta is about $30 a day - it has a nice pool and is right in the middle of the craziness. Not far to walk down to the beach too.

And yeah, very easy to slip back into old habits or even to develop new ones. It's a constant battle and a difficult one mate. I hope you can continue to improve though.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
It always just comes down to money obviously but usually a few weeks or so. It's cheap there and you can get a hotel room for a very reasonable price. One I stay at a lot in Kuta is about $30 a day - it has a nice pool and is right in the middle of the craziness. Not far to walk down to the beach too.

And yeah, very easy to slip back into old habits or even to develop new ones. It's a constant battle and a difficult one mate. I hope you can continue to improve though.
That's about 17.

How cheap could you go and still remain comfortable, and how much is the flight, and length of the journey.

It's the bloody cost of the flight that's the problem over here.

Cheap accommodation, food etc, but probably something crazy like 4k for a return flight I'd imagine.

Anyway, I hope things continue to improve for you too mate as well.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:47 PM
bipolar

Quote:
That's about 17.

How cheap could you go and still remain comfortable, and how much is the flight, and length of the journey.

It's the bloody cost of the flight that's the problem over here.

Cheap accommodation, food etc, but probably something crazy like 4k for a return flight I'd imagine.

Anyway, I hope things continue to improve for you too mate as well.
I wouldn't go much cheaper than that nowadays. I've stayed in really beautiful places when I've had money and terrible ones when I didn't. But that figure is about right. Will give you a pool, air-con and a decent room with breakfast.

Flights for you would be the problem from the UK. For us it's okay - cheap, a couple of hundred each way and takes 5 or 6 hours flying time. Not bad - time for a movie or two and something to eat. No big deal.

We're lucky here in Australia - close proximity to Asia. I guess you could give somewhere like Spain a go? Haven't been myself though.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
I wouldn't go much cheaper than that nowadays. I've stayed in really beautiful places when I've had money and terrible ones when I didn't. But that figure is about right. Will give you a pool, air-con and a decent room with breakfast.

Flights for you would be the problem from the UK. For us it's okay - cheap, a couple of hundred each way and takes 5 or 6 hours flying time. Not bad - time for a movie or two and something to eat. No big deal.

We're lucky here in Australia - close proximity to Asia. I guess you could give somewhere like Spain a go? Haven't been myself though.
You're so lucky mate being so close.

I've only been abroad once to the Spanish Island of Majorca.

Anxiety was bad back then and I just couldn't enjoy it, at all. Spent most of my time in my hotel room, barely ate, nightmare.

That holiday would be a piece of piss now tbh.

I've thought about going to hiking in Spain, the north is much more lush than the rest of it so more appealing to me than the hotter, more barren areas.

I'd prefer to hike in Spain but prefer how much cheaper parts of Asia would be, and the fact that women would actually pester me their.

I've just looked at the cheapest return flight from Birmingham International to Bali. 1602 AUD, 2 stops and takes 51 hours.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page