Hey - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Hey

Hi, my name is Emily, I am 19 years old and I've had social anxiety since I was 15. I'm starting college this year, which is really scary for me and I hope that maybe talking to people who understand what I'm going through will make things easier for me and help me with my anxiety.
English is not my first language, so I apologize for any mistakes 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2020, 01:17 PM
SAS Member

Language: Portuguese and English
Welcome, Emily!

"It's been so long. Years have gone since I belonged. Hold me please, stay with me and I will sleep. I will go now but I will be with you. Hold my gaze, hold me inside you."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 08:13 AM
Aspergian

Hey Emily, welcome to SAS.

Even if our scars donít match thereís no wrong you canít make better if you can figure out a way to change your mind.

And sure thereís things I regret not doing or doing. Those thoughts climb my spine like spiders, and then Iím really the stranger in my own bed,

and that ball of nervous gets pushed into every crack. Thatís whatís holding the bricks together.

- Listener

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 08:50 AM
SAS Member

welcome to the forums emily....i look forward to reading your future posts
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 09:14 PM
Someone you used to know.

Hi Emily!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 11:00 AM

Language: English (British), German to some extent.
My Mood: Blah
Hello Emily!

–his girl is a tortoise, wandering in the long grass and streaming rain, between fire and ice in a sense
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 07:42 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Welcome. So how does SA affect you on a daily basis?

What is your major in college? Something that you will be able to do and well suited to your sa? College is tough with SA. A lot of times speech class and giving presentations is required. That makes it tough. I wasant able to do that I would have panic attacks if I had to speak in class. Have you been to a Dr or therpaist? Medications or therapy can help Emily
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thank you all so much for your kind words 🙂

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Welcome. So how does SA affect you on a daily basis?

What is your major in college? Something that you will be able to do and well suited to your sa? College is tough with SA. A lot of times speech class and giving presentations is required. That makes it tough. I wasant able to do that I would have panic attacks if I had to speak in class. Have you been to a Dr or therpaist? Medications or therapy can help Emily
I'm staying at home a lot because of my anxiety, I have a job but I only work a few days a week because going to work and being around people every day is too much for me at the moment. I've been through a lot of bullying and many friendships that went wrong, so I find it very hard to let people into my life. I have one very close friend and I spend some time with my family, but other than that I keep to myself most of the time. I'm majoring in English, so I won't have to talk to people too much and there are some things I can do after college that I can do with my anxiety. I know college can be very hard with SA, but I know I have to start living my life and stop hiding behind my anxiety. I'm seeing a therapist, she is very nice and she really helps me 🙂
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:47 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily29 View Post
Thank you all so much for your kind words 🙂

I'm staying at home a lot because of my anxiety, I have a job but I only work a few days a week because going to work and being around people every day is too much for me at the moment. I've been through a lot of bullying and many friendships that went wrong, so I find it very hard to let people into my life. I have one very close friend and I spend some time with my family, but other than that I keep to myself most of the time. I'm majoring in English, so I won't have to talk to people too much and there are some things I can do after college that I can do with my anxiety. I know college can be very hard with SA, but I know I have to start living my life and stop hiding behind my anxiety. I'm seeing a therapist, she is very nice and she really helps me 🙂
Good thing your seeing a therapist. That should help a great deal.

I went through a lot of bullying as well. Not fun. Goods news is most of that stuff stops as an adult although in college you still do get some of that high school stuff. Try to get around some good people who treat you right and with respect. Find people with similar interests is a good start. College is a good place to meet people and make friends. Gets a lot harder once you get out of school. Wish i could redo my college experience my SA was to much for me back then

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page