Coping and dealing with S.A.D - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy

Coping and dealing with S.A.D

Hey fellow sufferers. As you have probably already guessed I am new to this forum and would like to chat with some of you guys that have this disorder also. It would be nice to know of your coping mechanisms and what routes you've gone down for help. I've been told to look in to going back to well-being one on one classes with the n.h.s. and if I want further help and am willing to pay the doctor also suggested hypnotherapy. Has anyone else tried either of these options?
Many thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy script. And please feel free to post below!
I hope you're all well and having a great day!???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:36 AM
SAS Member

Welcome to the community, Oaken Flunky! I haven't tried hypnotherapy but it seems to help some people. Hope you are having a great day!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Re-enchant the World

Welcome Oaken Flunky. Hope you find what you are looking for.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzen View Post
Welcome to the community, Oaken Flunky! I haven't tried hypnotherapy but it seems to help some people. Hope you are having a great day!
Hi! Thank you very much. I see okay. I have had a lovely day thanks I hope you have also.
I've tried C.B.T before but didn't find it was helpful for me...
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterwalk View Post
Welcome Oaken Flunky. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Hi winterwalk! Many thanks me to. This forum is all new territory for me I've never done anything like this before. However it's nice to meet other people who think a like and suffer from the same problems...
Good luck to you also.
Oaks.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 04:58 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Welcome, OakenFlunky!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Many thanks @millenniumman75 s
Posted via Mobile Device
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 12:31 AM
SAS Member

Hi Oaken,

This is my first post online and I've been suffering from S.A.D. for many years. I'm 45 and my problem is my face goes red for no reason at all.

And now that it happens I start to dread it happening and that in turns makes it happen.............sad but true.......

The best thing that works for me is ativan. It just relaxes me and I don't seem to worry about the blushing but I don't want to live on those things.

I've been meaning to try CBT but haven't yet. I tried hypnotherapy but it didn't work for me.

Sadly, ativan is my only coping mechanism. I've been reading books and trying things, but nothing as of yet has helped.

It's nice to meet others with the same problem though...........sorry for the long message.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:06 AM
FML

Language: Pidgin
Once you find the right medication and CBT with a good therapist are the SA-defeating powerhouses. Either one, or a combination of the 2...

This site will help you make friends and cope, but usually, for truly severe sa, you will need some form of professional help because it doesn't just go away on its own and it stays with you for life and even incorporates itself into your personality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social...rder#Treatment

good luck! overcoming this disorder is possible and it's nice to connect with others who struggle with the same issues!

Nobody, I'm nobody.
I'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo, I'm a boxcar and a jug of wine, and a straight razor if you get too close to me.

Give me liberty, or give me memes!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blushing in bc View Post
Hi Oaken,

This is my first post online an. Been suffering from S.A.D. for many years. I'm 45 and my problem is my face goes red for no reason at all.

And now that it happens I start to dread it happening and that in turns makes it happen.............sad but true.......

The best thing that works for me is ativan. It just relaxes me and I don't seem to worry about the blushing but I don't want to live on those things.

I've been meaning to try CBT but haven't yet. I tried hypnotherapy but it didn't work for me.

Sadly, ativan is my only coping mechanism. I've been reading books and trying things, but nothing as of yet has helped.

It's nice to meet others with the same problem though...........sorry for the long message.
Hi @blushing inbc firstly nice to speak with you!!
I'm sorry but I haven't heard of ativan is this a American prescription? As I am located in the UK. However I can relate I wouldn't want to have to rely on medication either. However if its helping you I do not see any problem in using it to your advantage mate. I tried Fluoxitine (prozac) for a little while but that wasn't any good for me as it didn't help at all. I tried CBT but also found it wasn't the right place for me... However we are all different. I'm now going to look in to some counselling and see if that helps. If it doesn't I shall then try hypnotherapy but however I will keep you posted and let you know how it goes for me.
Please don't apologize for having plenty to say. This is The longest reply I have had yet and its nice to read and listen to your struggles rather then my own... hey, thats why we are all here!
It's so nice to be able to relate with other people that also suffer S.A.D. You're not alone my friend. None of us are. And we're all here to chat about advice, worries and anything else on our minds.
P.s I also suffer with I.B.S and I find that any tiny amount of stress and anxiety Will trigger my stomache off. Which is a miserable existence!
Posted via Mobile Device
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetmylife View Post
Once you find the right medication and CBT with a good therapist are the SA-defeating powerhouses. Either one, or a combination of the 2...

This site will help you make friends and cope, but usually, for truly severe sa, you will need some form of professional help because it doesn't just go away on its own and it stays with you for life and even incorporates itself into your personality.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social...rder#Treatment

good luck! overcoming this disorder is possible and it's nice to connect with others who struggle with the same issues!
Hey @forgetmylife thanks for your reply I have tried CBT along with Prozac in the past and neither was any help for me. The doctor thinks for me it's more of a pyscological problem so this time round I will try counselling and see how I feel after that treatment. If I still feel the same I will then try hypnotherapy and see how I find that.
I've accepted my anxiety and have lived with it for 24 years and never realized the severity of it until I put myself in certain situations that I tend to avoid. Which is where I've had melt downs and come to realise those situations are way out of my depth and I can not cope with them.
I will check out the link thank you for your reply.
Thank you so much for wishing me luck and you also. How are you getting on with your anxiety?
I agree it's very nice to communicate with others that also struggle with social anxiety were not alone
Posted via Mobile Device
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 06:55 PM
FML

Language: Pidgin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaken Flunky View Post
Hey @forgetmylife thanks for your reply I have tried CBT along with Prozac in the past and neither was any help for me. The doctor thinks for me it's more of a pyscological problem so this time round I will try counselling and see how I feel after that treatment. If I still feel the same I will then try hypnotherapy and see how I find that.
I've accepted my anxiety and have lived with it for 24 years and never realized the severity of it until I put myself in certain situations that I tend to avoid. Which is where I've had melt downs and come to realise those situations are way out of my depth and I can not cope with them.
I will check out the link thank you for your reply.
Thank you so much for wishing me luck and you also. How are you getting on with your anxiety?
I agree it's very nice to communicate with others that also struggle with social anxiety were not alone
Posted via Mobile Device
Aw ok. I have tried CBT once before as well to no avail. I just never put much effort into it and from what I've heard (from both books and psychiatrists) is that you really need to give it your all and have it be one of your main focuses in life for a short period of time in order to get anything out of it. That's probably why it is much easier to tackle head-on with a therapist's help than on your own (self-help). I'd stick to therapies and lifestyles that are actually backed up by extensive scientific evidence for alleviating social anxiety and/or treating social anxiety disorder such as CBT and medication before trying anything else. You're free to try other forms of therapy, and they might work, but they are going to be a pure crapshoot and you may find yourself wasting time/energy/money...

Yea I never really got anything out of SSRI's either, but there's a large amount of different classes of antidepressants and anxiolytics you could try before giving up. Doctors will usually start you on SSRI's before anything else, then go up from there because SSRI's are the safest bet with the "least" side effects (even though they aren't even that great).

Paxil is another SSRI that is apparently supposed to be the best SSRI for anxiety because it is the "least activating"... whatever that means.

Always give these meds at least 1 month (preferably longer) as they are meant to make you feel worse initially, while your brain is still getting used to them, before they make you feel better. Sometimes you have to hit the maximum allowed prescribed dose before it starts working well enough for you, but the nice thing about these meds is that they are supposed to work for both depression and anxiety. Only thing to look out for are side effects; especially sexual and emotional (blunting of the emotions).

SNRI's like Effexor and Cymbalta are basically the same thing with sometimes fewer side effects and a slightly greater antidepressant effect.

Antidepressants such as Remeron and Wellbutrin work totally differently and can be tried for anxiety. Although, the former increases appetite and the latter may actually make your anxiety worse. The MAOI class of Antidepressants seem to work much better than the SSRI's, but they are hard to get and can interact badly with some foods so you have to follow a strict diet to be safe.

Beta blockers can be used sparingly, especially for cases of performance anxiety to "control the physical manifestation of anxiety" aka keep heart rate and sweating down, but don't do much for anxious thoughts etc.

Benzos (Valium, Xanax) are anxiolytic and can be tried, however tolerance might be an issue. So they are probably better used sparingly (hence they are usually used for the occasional panic attack)... But you'd really have to try them first to see for yourself if tolerance or abuse is going to be an issue.

I'm on a high dose of gabapentin/neurontin which is working surprisingly well for anxiety and is imo a safe med. It is classified as a Gabapentinoid and anticonvulsant, and it basically works by zoning me out a little bit and in turn abolishes about 50% of my social anxiety! But I have to follow a complicated dosing schedule to get the most out of it since this med doesn't get absorbed all too well.

And there's much more, too much to list... But I guess if all else fails or if it's easier for you to obtain, you can even try supplements and the like. Kava, Kratom (potential for abuse), Valerian Root, 5-htp, tyrosine. Herbs, Vitamins, calming agents, neurotransmitter precursors, legal "benzos" such as etizolam (potential for abuse), legal "gabapentin" such as phenibut (potential for abuse), legal antidepressants such as tianeptine (potential for abuse) and saint john's wort etc. Even exercise and healthier eating. But all these things probably wont do all that much for a severe disorder.

Sure there's psychological hurdles you need to overcome, but your neurophysiology and neurochemistry underpins all of your actions and everything that runs through your head and the way you feel. So the right med(s) can always help you out no matter what situation you happen to find yourself in. Think of medication as diminishing the hurdles making it easier and quicker for you to overcome/get over them. And then once you do overcome/get over them, you always have the choice of coming off meds altogether if you like... Meds are great tools, just keep in mind it can take awhile to find one that works for you, and also keep in mind the drawbacks (side effects, tolerance, abuse potential etc.)

Thank you! and yay we aren't alone! lol
Im getting along quite fine thanks for asking! Between my medication and the social experiences I've had with people from this forum, my social anxiety seems cut in half which is truly an awesome feeling! I'm still not living the life I want to live, so I still struggle with short bouts of depression (waking up depressed) and lack of motivation, but I am trying to work through and fix all that soon. So things aren't really looking too bad for me right now.

Nobody, I'm nobody.
I'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo, I'm a boxcar and a jug of wine, and a straight razor if you get too close to me.

Give me liberty, or give me memes!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page