can't find my purpose - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

can't find my purpose

Hello, i am new to this whole forumn thing and i am in a rutt and just need some advice. i have had a rough year in my first year away at college at WVU.. ive never been a good student and was hoping to find a change here at WVU as well as to have some fun partying. last semester i basically had a mental breakdown and couldn't stop crying for 4 straight days, worst feeling in my life..so many emotions hit me at once and i really just lost it.. thru support of my family and friends i bounced back and i finished the semester with pretty terrible grades but positive hopes for this next semester.. well things havent turned out too well so far..

i have been experiencing bad anxiety and i just can't seem to stay motivated in school.. evry semester i tell myself im gonna do good and very semester i fail misserable i just cant stay motivated.. i feel like school isnt for me but cant think of any other path to follow. my parents always believe in me and invest so much money in me but i always let them down and it really makes me feel like a terrible person. i know i can do good if i try i just simply can't put enough effort into it i feel like i have some sort of mental problem.. its got me into a depressed anxious state of mind as i really dont know my purpose or what I'm supposed to in life.. is school just not for me or am i just unmotivated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:36 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgeary View Post
Hello, i am new to this whole forumn thing and i am in a rutt and just need some advice.
It sounds to me like your not doing what you want to do. Are you really enjoying your school? If not you can easily move somewhere else. What do you do outside of school, what are you doing to develop yourself? Do you do martial arts, play an instrument or do extreme sports of any kind? It sounds like you are not doing what you want.

You gotta ask some basic questions and really figure out what you want (and not be shy about it).

When I asked myself that question I wanted to get laid allot, go out with good friends do bmx, I wanted to go out of my house heaps, meet new people and accumulate trophies and accolades for the sake of it (I like shiny things on my wall).

What do you want? I mean really want? Lets talk about that...

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all" - Helen Keller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYxp7-Au4E
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

[QUOTE=Impact;1061549553 What do you want? I mean really want? Lets talk about that...[/QUOTE]

honestly idk, i like smoking weed but lately thats been giving me bad anxiety.. i love women but am shy and its hard for me to meet new girls.. i love music but dont see a future in that.. i like sports, no future in that either.. drinking and going out used to be something i loved now i just kind of do it and dont get much joy out of it.. i really just want to travel the world and live an awesome life, but i need money for this.. that is why im so confused i hate school so much but feel like i wont be succesfull unless i get a degree..i just dont know what career path to follow

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgeary View Post
honestly idk, i like smoking weed but lately thats been giving me bad anxiety.. i love women but am shy and its hard for me to meet new girls.. i love music but dont see a future in that.. i like sports, no future in that either.. drinking and going out used to be something i loved now i just kind of do it and dont get much joy out of it.. i really just want to travel the world and live an awesome life, but i need money for this.. that is why im so confused i hate school so much but feel like i wont be succesfull unless i get a degree..i just dont know what career path to follow
You don't know any of this. You have assimilated information that other people have given you and you have developed bad thinking habits.

I thought I was terrible at music too but now I'm a professional studio producer. You don't know if youll be good or bad at sport, all you know is your identification with that subject. In your case your identification is not assisting your action.

Every thought is there to serve for you to do action. Action is 80% thought is 20%. If your thought is 80% you are not doing anything. You are over thinking and its harmful.

I think what you should do is involve yourself as much as you can, the world can tell you that there is no future in it, but you have to decide what you really like and want then do that.

So if you want to travel maybe don't go too far but still go somewhere and travel. It mite be the next state with a few friends or a city or town surrounding that you havn't been to. If you choose to live the life of an adventurer then do that.

Ask yourself, how much action are you taking? And why should all your en-devours be successful? Who do you have to prove yourself to and what are you trying to achieve in society.

Wealth does not make one happy, if I gave you a job tomorrow doing what I do, even if you loved music (which I think you do) you won't be happy. Soon it will become tedious awful and boring. All work is the same it just takes different forms. Work in general is logical, you are an emotional creature. You can't find happiness by finding a correct job or even worrying about future prospects which don't exist.

YOU DONT KNOW, you simply don't. I see allot of conflict with TIME in you. You have to eliminate time in order to reach peace within yourself then find your right direction.

The first step is to eliminate all past, and all future, be very aware and present in the moment. You could do meditation by eliminating all thinking, changing your diet to get more positive green nutrients (fast processing), and adequate sleep every night starting from 9:30pm (latest).

Quieten your mind, take allot more action and after about 8 months of DOING come back and decide on your choices.

If you have any questions don't be afraid to add me on here and ask!

Much regards

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all" - Helen Keller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYxp7-Au4E
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM
SAS Member

Hi welcome sas

I had a Nieghbour that put away lots of funds for university for her kid. He is a nice kid but in the end didn't like university. My Nieghbour got depressed as she was certain that he would do well. However he did leave and worked up north with a company that fixed cars. Now he has experience and is trying to fix cars as a business. It did take sometime before he felt he was in his niche.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
SAS Member

I agree with all the suggestions above. If your parents love you, which it sounds like they do, you shouldn't be afraid to tell them that school isn't for you (or rather whatever it is you're studying). I switched from business to Music which was a big leap for me but it's what i love to do. A lot of my friends are like you in the respect that they haven't found what they love. It takes time but you have to be patient. I agree with Impact when he says to consider now more than the past or future. Just try new things out and find what you love. The new thing that you love may take effort but the great things in life are worth working hard for.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Welcome, PatGeary!

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 AM
Temporarily Banned

Hey patgeary welcome.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page