Your ideal climate to live in? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Language: English (British), German to some extent.
My Mood: Blah

Your ideal climate to live in?

I would personally prefer a much more predictable climate, where you are always guaranteed to get a lot of good weather throughout summer months and sports events etc, don't get rained off. Either a Mediterranean climate as in Southern Europe, or a continental climate, where you get hot summers and really cold winters. I don't really understand why (judging by reading threads on some other sites, anyway), a lot of people seem to like the British climate which is similar to Northern France, Holland etc, but given that it's an island, probably even worse. There seem to be a lot of people who like UK weather because they absolutely hate summer if not even slightly warm weather. TBH I find that a really weird/annoying opinion, don't get it at all! Though I'm probably unusual in not really caring about the famous green of the British countryside, which a lot of people like. A brown landscape as in Southern Spain means more water supply stress, of course.

I would never want to live in Northern England or Scotland (used to know Scotland well), because the climate is definitely cooler and wetter up there. Recently it was apparently only 33F at the site of a big regional television transmitter in Northern England, while one of the coastal cities in the South West was 69F. When the sun does come out and it gets decently warm/hot for a while, as it admittedly did for long periods earlier this year, then it is nice. Yes it can get oppressive sometimes (especially in London) because it's usually humid heat (not dry heat as in some countries), but personally I don't care much or have any particular trouble sleeping in the heat. Just now it's mostly been warm and a bit humid but overcast for a long time, and unfortunately isn't really forecast to get much better. Not that the flies mind, they are a total pest in my bedroom right now.

As for winter, at least in certain places up North, you may well still get some proper regular snow for a while, especially in parts of Scotland. That is very rare in the South nowadays, perhaps because of climate change. Most winters in the past few years have just been endlessly mild with low cloud, not that much sun, and more rain than in summer (at least in the South East). It's true that there isn't the danger of tornadoes, hurricanes etc, here. But the weather in New York or Washington, for example, sounds much less boring. The temperatures in Britain tend to be too low, there are not enough thunderstorms, and though it can happen, you hardly ever get a hailstorm. The recent strong autumn-like winds were annoying, but apparently unusual at this time of year. I tend to find autumn a bit depressing, but spring is nice when all the trees are coming into bloom and so on.

his girl is a tortoise, wandering in the long grass and streaming rain, between fire and ice in a sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 08:36 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Florida gets a bit bland at times, but at the same time the long Maine winters get difficult. Driving in the winter was not very fun either, especially with black ice, lots of hills, and so on. Still, I really do miss walking out in the forests after a fresh snow fall and how absolutely beautiful and serene it looked. I remember how silent it was too, outside of the sound of the wind. I miss that so much, and wish I could experience it again. I also miss the autumn a lot, it too was such a pretty season. I never really like spring though, it was always so wet - the only thing I liked about it in Maine was that it meant that the winter was over, and we were headed off to summer I think I would have preferred to have snow, and then just skip over the spring entirely and start off in the summer

I don't know if there is a climate that I love, I would like to take bits and pieces from different places I have been to and change the weather depending on my mood. I have never lived in a dry/hot climate, but I think I might like that. The main problem I have with Florida is the humidity, it gets really bad here.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 09:21 AM
SAS Member

Year round in the 60s-70s F would be ideal
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 09:53 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
I like British Columbia, my home province. Never too cold or too hot - Rainforest temperate year round.

I can't stand the summers in my current location. It's all extremes, it gets to -40C in winters and 40C+ in summers. There is more sun but it's so uncomfortable it just isn't worth it. I can handle the cold but there's nothing you can do when you're stuck in the heat!!

I'm considering a move back west to somewhere like Edmonton, which is cold (I'm fine with) but doesn't get as hot.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 10:08 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
70 degrees partly cloudy with a slight wind.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:29 AM
alien monk

whatever climate either melts me instantly or snap freezes me. but you said live in so its have to be the frozen option if that can keep me alive.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:35 AM
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

Just not Ontario. Not a fan of the whole 4 seasons thing. I'd probably prefer something like Miami weather.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:45 AM
SAS Member

Language: EN, LT, RU
Best climate: min 10/15 max 25 degs C all year around.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:49 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Cool
I like the warm summer, cold winter, moderate spring & fall. Just when I'm starting to get sick of summer being too hot or winter being too cold, it changes. My favorite season is spring, but I love summer evenings.

The world is quiet here.

"The world...what a glorious place! Seek your dreams, and they will lie stretched out before your eyes. If the endless wind guides your restless spirit, seize it! Raise your flag, and stand tall!"
--One Piece
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:57 AM
Spectacular Member

Vancouver, never too warm or too cold would be ideal. Ontario yeah it ranges from -40C to +40C, I really hate the cold, the hot summer weather isn't too bad as long as I got AC indoors.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 01:27 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
+20c or -15c

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:06 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
I wouldn't want too much consistency but at the same time not have unpredictability (which is essentially what is going on now.) Summer showers in the evening tend to bring a soothing effect, especially after a long day of heat. I definitely cannot stand cold winter weather and yet lack of snow to go along with it.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:27 PM
SAS Member

My ideal climate would never get warmer than about 80F/26C, nor colder than about 30F/-1C. There would still be a beautiful fall and an occasional snow, but never more than 2 or 3 inches. Lots of sunshine and regular rainfall too. So a little bit of everything, but no extremes. I don't know if there's anywhere in the world that fits this description.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:32 PM
⚾🚀📝📸🎬💾🎲⛰🍪💡

Language: None
The climate where I live is a good start: 80s and 90s in summer, 50s in winter with usually one slight snow day, wet winter/spring with 40" rain and dry summers. Just needs a few tweaks. I'd like it 10 degrees cooler in July and August, move half of March's rainfall to August (there's nothing duller than every day being sunny and warm from June through October), and add one cold week with a foot of snow every December without making the rest of the winter colder. More thunderstorms would be great too. And gimme a little fog, I miss fog.

Okay, I guess that was a lot of changes. But I'll settle for what I've got.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:35 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Mediterranean climate like Los Angeles, in particular Santa Monica. I'm not real big on having the traditional four seasons. Ideal would be high 70-75 (23C) in the day and low 55-60 (14C) at night. Would prefer to live somewhere that you don't need to use air conditioning or heating. I really hate air conditioners. Prefer to just open the window and let in the ocean breeze. If I never see snow again, I will be quite pleased. That stuff sucks.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 02:36 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Not a huge fan of heat, ideally I'd like to live somewhere a little colder where the climates a little more stable & there's snow every winter, I'm awful fond of long dark rainy nights aswell & thunder/lightning & live in a haunted castle to enjoy it all.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:33 PM
alien monk

is this going to turn into a big joke?

I like X climate which doesnt end civilisation

haha well you cant have it because the climate is going to **** due to your lack of action re climate change

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolLilChickadee View Post
My ideal climate would never get warmer than about 80F/26C, nor colder than about 30F/-1C. There would still be a beautiful fall and an occasional snow, but never more than 2 or 3 inches. Lots of sunshine and regular rainfall too. So a little bit of everything, but no extremes. I don't know if there's anywhere in the world that fits this description.
Sounds like the Baltic Sea part of the world (Denmark, southern Sweden/Norway, etc.).

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:37 PM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop

My ideal climate is same as CoolLilChickadee. Wisconsin is perfect in spring and summer but way too cold during winter and way too humid during summer. From my limited knowledge, I always thought northern areas of Europe sounded ideal. Sunny and 70's year round areas sound nice, but they are all going to be too expensive, I imagine.

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 06:13 PM
I am Jack's cold sweat

Somewhere mild all year round - I like temps in the 50s to low 70s. Hate humidity. Don't mind snow too much but hate the huge storms and freezing cold. Dislike temps below 40 hate temps below 20 way too cold especially at night.

I'm considering moving to the Pacific Northwest for the mild temps. Though idk if I'll get sick of all the rain and cloud cover. Might be a fair trade off tho.

I've been out haunting the neighborhood
And everybody can see I'm no good
When I'm walking out between parked cars
With my head full of stars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page