Would you work if you were extremely rich? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

Would you work if you were extremely rich?

edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 05:16 PM
YAS Member

Well I wouldn't keep working my garbage minimum wage job that's for sure. Maybe go to school for something that would give me a career. Or maybe volunteer.

And yeah cool, I'd like money for doing nothing.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 07:44 PM
Barbells and kittens

I'd do something I'd enjoy. Like open a powerlifting gym or go to school to learn how to work on cars.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 08:44 PM
(*__*)

Language: N/A
I wouldn't
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 09:57 PM
bipolar

If I were really rich I'd probably take my wife travelling for a year or two - but after we got sick of it all I'd probably do something like start my own rare bookshop in the middle of the city or maybe just in our old suburb. Not to make money but just for fun. I'd work there when I felt like it and have someone else do it when I didn't.

I don't need to work now - but I only get a pension. I'll probably try and study something else soon or do some volunteer work because I'm very bored - plus I'd like more human contact. I've done a similar thing before - years ago. I started doing volunteer work at a uni and then they offered me a job there.

Working isn't always about money.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:11 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Well, I'll tell you this much. I'd be in a better position to explore things that might lead to work if I wasn't dirt poor. I guess if you're extremely rich there's no real point in working for chump change. I think my time could be better spent on charity types of things if I was filthy rich. Rather than trying to live like the serfs. They're never gonna really respect someone who is rich regardless of what that person does anyway so if you have money and you wanna "do the right thing" working in the salt mines to try and prove you're not a bad person is silly. There's other ways to make a difference with money.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 10:33 PM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
Also something to debate:

Finland is offering free money to some citizens as part of an experiment aimed at cutting government red tape, reducing poverty and boosting employment.
Starting this Monday, the two-year trial will see 2,000 randomly-picked unemployed citizens receive €560 (477/$587) each month, with no constraints on how to spend it.

This was an experiment conducted in 2017, I have no clue how it ended though.

Thoughts?
By the way, your post here doesn't really seem to have anything to do with whether or not people would want to work if they were extremely rich. A relatively small government handout (and by "relatively" I mean "relative to being filthy rich") is not really the same thing as "I can buy an island!" wealthy.

I think the idea of the UBI is really just to keep people from hitting rock bottom whether they're motivated to work or not. Nobody is gonna get filthy rich on $1,000 a month (US). Which I don't know if that's what they were talking about or not but I figure you'd probably need at least $1,000 a month in the US to survive without any government help at all.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 05:50 AM
experimental sincerity

That's UBI. The Finnish trial got dropped at the end of the two year period, no real reason, just stopped funding it. They're saying it was too short for conclusive results, but it didn't affect employment prospects much and increased wellbeing as well as trust in the government.

I want UBI badly. I would be doing more work that matters and less of bull**** work that I have to do to get by.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Chonker

No. I'd just enjoy buying stuff and live the good life.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 01:23 PM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
If I had enough to live on without work, I would spend all my time trying to design better therapy, fighting prejudice, and writing. But my strengths and inclinations are irrelevant. I'm supposed to settle for helping rich corporations make money by selling **** nobody wants or needs.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 02:37 PM
Permanently Banned

Language: English, Broken Cantonese, Spanish Curse words, few words of Mandarin
My Mood: Lonely
That depends on how I got extremely rich. If I got rich from working than obviously keep working. If I won the lotto , i'd weigh my options.
post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:32 PM
SAS Member

If I was rich for the rest of my life, no I wouldn't work. Ever. I'd travel a lot.
post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 06:44 PM
Poorly Educated

Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
Finland is offering free money
There's no such thing as free. That money has to come from somewhere and its taxpayers who fund government programs.

As for the question, I'd keep working. I'm pretty much completely alone in this world so I have nobody to do things with like traveling. I work myself to exhaustion even when I'm at home on the weekends. If I don't constantly keep my mind stimulated and focused on doing something I start dwelling on how much my life sucks and get severely depressed.
post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:23 AM
Pesky Pessimist

I will work on something that is my passion and I enjoy. If I do, that generally might not feel like "work" most of the time I figure. And I think for many of us, the complete lack of stress and something keeping our minds busy and at bay though, can actually lead to depression and irrelevance. So many of us would need work to a degree, just not work that we hate which unfortunately for most people, that is the case.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:22 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Noop, I would do the same things I am doing now.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #16 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 07:45 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
not work for a salary no. But i would buy a small farm land and grow crops, take care of animals and fix up the land and put a mini house/cabin on it and live simply like that. So that takes work obviously.

But what would even be the point of working for money if you are rich? You can invest or buy real estate that you never even need to take care of yourself.

Unless you happen to love the job you do, then that's different.

What is a man?
post #17 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:14 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
I would work only if it was a true passion and something I loved doing. If your rich you don't have to take any horrible job that comes along just to pay the bills. Been in that situation where you have to go everyday to job that you hate and that you hate the people you work with as well. Not fun.
post #18 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 AM
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub-Zero View Post
not work for a salary no. But i would buy a small farm land and grow crops, take care of animals and fix up the land and put a mini house/cabin on it and live simply like that. So that takes work obviously.

But what would even be the point of working for money if you are rich? You can invest or buy real estate that you never even need to take care of yourself.
Very good post. I would be down with the farm idea as well. There would be work as a part of running a farm but not a job per say.

I would also "work" on my passions or investments. Like finding investments such as real estate or researching investments of some sort.
post #19 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 01:45 PM
Discord all the way

When I win the lottery I would need to increase my winnings. I want to win over $100 Million dollars AFTER taxes are taken out. Even with this amount money runs out. I would like a business so I can keep that money flowing. Be self employed. Work for nobody. Be my own boss. The question is how much do I want to profit. Maybe a good $50,000 to $100,000 salary. I'm undecided about the business I want that people would actually buy from me or go. The last thing I want is for my business to go "Out of Business."
post #20 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 02:03 PM
Gangsta Crayon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicfan View Post
No. I'd just enjoy buying stuff and live the good life.
Sounds like me. Haha.

I'd also save a good bit too. I'd make sure I never run out of money. I'd buy a small place to stay. All I'd need is a place big enough for a room, kitchen and bathroom.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page