Would you come to a meetup? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
bipolar

Would you come to a meetup?

Just imagine you could all actually come to a meetup and meet each other - what would you be like? Would you be talking? Would you be able to come?

What would you be like? (and would I be the only one talking?)

Only connect. E.M. Forster
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:23 PM
alien monk

i went to meet some NZers from here a long time ago. it was just them talking. but then i wouldn't class them as "real" SAers lol. damn normies.

i bet all the good corners for hiding would get taken, any tame animals in the area would get interacted with, smartphones would well-used.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
i went to meet some NZers from here a long time ago. it was just them talking. but then i wouldn't class them as "real" SAers lol. damn normies.

i bet all the good corners for hiding would get taken, any tame animals in the area would get interacted with, smartphones would well-used.
I met some people from here a number of years ago - we had a couple of barbies and went to a bar a few times. They were fine - in varying degrees of course.

I also used to go to a meetup group for anxiety/depression. Amazing range there. Nice people actually - I miss that group. They sort of broke up when the girl running it got sick of it.

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:34 PM
❤️⭐ Terminator ⭐❤️

Language: English
Oh man, if I could meet the Australian SASers I would do it in a heartbeat. You guys are cool as hell.

❤️⭐⭐❤️
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmCodeMonkey View Post
Oh man, if I could meet the Australian SASers I would do it in a heartbeat. You guys are cool as hell.
I think we should organise one mate. Would be great to meet you.

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:38 PM
blurry dystopia gif ☣️

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I probably wouldn't because I know there will be a lot of 'oh my God that's what you look like that's the complete opposite of what I imagined' kind of stuff, as has happened when I've shared images/videos here before years ago and then people sometimes change their entire view of me.

There have definitely been a few posters where I would have been interested but still probably a bad idea.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I probably wouldn't because I know there will be a lot of 'oh my God that's what you look like that's the complete opposite of what I imagined' kind of stuff, as has happened when I've shared images/videos here before years ago and then people sometimes change their entire view of me.

There have definitely been a few posters where I would have been interested but still probably a bad idea.
I think I sort of remember what you look like. I think you posted a video or something one time of you in your back yard. Maybe with your brother. It was a fair while ago though.

post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 12:43 AM
❤️ Moderator ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmCodeMonkey View Post
It would be great to meet you, like @harrison said.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:28 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
Yeah meet-ups are fun. Too bad nobody uses the chat room(s) on here. We could all definitely use some practice chatting with each other.
There's a Discord server. Rather nice too!

I used to get very anxious before any sort of meetups but nowadays it's fine. On a good day, I can be quite chatty and approach people first. On a bad one...well, I don't quite duck under the table either. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's okay if it's not a "success". Sometimes you click with someone, sometimes you don't.

I would consider going to a local meetup or meeting some people from the forum. Now I can converse with someone who's shy/anxious, but the hard part is that I never know if I'm helping to ease them in or transgressing their boundaries.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:48 AM
SAS Member

Been there, done that.

One thing I have learned is that people with anxiety are just people, and that someone's experience of social anxiety can differ so vastly that it is a completely subjective interpretation of what it means to deal with it and that at the end of the day, it has no bearing whatsoever on someone's expression of their core characteristics or personal qualities. So in other words, it's been a long time since I've actively gone out of my way to meet others who deal with it. And those who do are just as liable to misunderstand or judge you as anyone else..

So... no.

No one will talk to me, they tend to go. Their faces say there's something I should know
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:00 AM
Maladjusted Misfit

I assume I'm not invited.

But, I wouldn't come anyway.

Now I'm Nothing
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:01 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post_Punk_Proclivity View Post
Been there, done that.

One thing I have learned is that people with anxiety are just people, and that someone's experience of social anxiety can differ so vastly that it is a completely subjective interpretation of what it means to deal with it and that at the end of the day, it has no bearing whatsoever on someone's expression of their core characteristics or personal qualities. So in other words, it's been a long time since I've actively gone out of my way to meet others who deal with it. And those who do are just as liable to misunderstand or judge you as anyone else..

So... no.
Exactly... I agree
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:12 AM
Gangsta Crayon

I'd be willing to meet some people but as of right now, I can't afford it. I'd be nervous to but still willing. If I met too many people at once I'd be more nervous.

I've met one person from here over a year ago that drove down where I live but seems as if he disappeared not long after. Not sure what happened.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 09:39 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
This forum is at international level that out of my reach to meet people here from different countries. I've never seen any countryman from here.
But I met a guy came from local S.A.D group on facebook, we became friends and hanged out for 2 years until he's no longer in this world any more. He was the my only friend I know from the group. Now it's hard to find one another like him and I'm not even trying to do that.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Post_Punk_Proclivity View Post
Been there, done that.

So... no.
It's good to hear from you again mate - and I agree, it's actually quite strange when you meet people that have anxiety. As you said - it's such a subjective experience, the way they appear is usually totally different to how we thought they would be.

We get a completely distorted view of what people are supposedly like just reading words on a screen and it bears little to no resemblance to how they actually are in person.

I did enjoy those meetups though - and I hope you're doing okay.

post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaStrange View Post
I assume I'm not invited.

But, I wouldn't come anyway.
Well, I started the thread yesterday when my mood was pretty elevated - so we're not really having a meetup. It was just something to talk about I guess.

But it'd be nice to meet you anyway I'm sure, as it would be with a lot of other people here.

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 02:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I've met a handful of SASers, though I think I was friends with only two initially. The others were friends of SAS friends (but they still participated on the forum at some point).

Seriously some of the nicest people I've ever met.. I'd go to a Meetup if there were one and if I had the energy and will to do so.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 02:59 PM
The Wanderer

I looked them up and the only social anxiety meetup was hours away. And they all looked like normal people, not mental cases like me. If there was a SAS meetup in town I'd probably go even though I'd be a mess at talking.

[Everyone disliked that.]
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:51 PM
Worthless Garbage

My Mood: Lonely
I would like to, as I need more in person interactions. But I would be too scared. And then I would beat myself up because I was scared. I hate myself.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-29-2020, 03:59 PM
🧱

Language: None
Met probably between 50 and 100 SAS members over the years (maybe a lot more whose SAS accounts I didn't know about), mostly at meetups. They're as varied as anyone else.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page