would you be less socially awkward if we all people communicate only with sign language? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

would you be less socially awkward if we all people communicate only with sign language?

i really hate my voice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:03 AM
🐞 Moderator 🐞

You could still feel awkward making the signs, and it would probably be hard to concentrate in busy places, so you might miss parts of what people are saying.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
You could still feel awkward making the signs, and it would probably be hard to concentrate in busy places, so you might miss parts of what people are saying.
i believe one of the main reasons why i have social phobia is how i hear my voice/ don't like it.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 08:58 AM
🐞 Moderator 🐞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coincidence View Post
i believe one of the main reasons why i have social phobia is how i hear my voice/ don't like it.
It’s one of the reasons for mine, too. I think even if I sounded different, I still wouldn’t like how I sounded.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I think so yeah but my theory has to do with the fact that initially as a young child I was diagnosed with selective mutism, and according to more recent research, the disorder is related to sensory processing abnormalities (like in autism,) especially auditory processing disorder.

https://gupea.ub.gu.se/bitstream/207...77_51545_1.pdf

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...7892931500016X

Quote:
Over the past decade SM has been typically conceptualized as an anxiety disorder (Beidel and Turner, 2005, Viana et al., 2009). Some researchers and clinicians suggested that SM is in fact an extreme type of social anxiety disorder (Black and Uhde, 1992, Black and Uhde, 1995). Alternatively it is conceivable that vocalizing, in and of its own, may constitute the feared context as in specific phobias. Both lines of clinical thought lead to cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) gaining center stage as first-line treatments for SM, with both approaches showing limited success (Kaakeh and Stumpf, 2008, Keeton and Budinger, 2012). While there are some indications for the involvement of Serotonin in auditory processing (Gopal et al., 2000, Thompson et al., 1998 ), the primary neurotransmitter supporting inhibitory efferent activity at the olivocochlear bundle and in the neuromuscular junction responsible for activation of the MEAR is acetylcholine (Godfrey et al., 1990, Simmons, 2002). Thus, current pharmacological and psychological treatments may not be able to target the underling auditory efferent deficits exhibited by a considerable portion of children with SM. The clinical efficacy of current treatments will probably remain limited to the anxiety symptoms commonly found in children with SM, leaving the speech-related primary symptom of the disorder untreated.
(it's pretty bad too, it's only when I started paying attention that I realised how often this ****s me up. Like even when alone I have to rewind TV shows I'm watching without subtitles a lot to understand what is being said lol, of course I do have other attention issues too though. Talking on the phone is bad particularly when the quality isn't good. Sometimes I pretend to have heard.)

https://youtu.be/THUNvidTA1M?t=5m54s

So assuming from a young age I was brought up in a world where people weren't speaking much then it might have helped a tiny amount. However I think there are some other things that contributed too, but perhaps it would have helped a bit especially at younger ages when the other things hadn't taken a toll/manifested yet, I don't know. I do seem to be kind of generally slow/out of it though, so maybe it wouldn't.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:53 AM
pirate

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I'd probably have become afraid of moving, but on the up side I'd be ok with making noises

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:58 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
No

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:43 PM
SAS Member

Oh wait that taxi is slowing down and oh no it thinks I was gesturing for it to stop i wasn't I just hold my hands in that weird way all the time. Ok ok i cant sign no now don't want to upset the driver. I will just ask for a short ride just ten minutes oh wait oh no he thinks I want to go to the airport now he's smiling the airport is a good fare for him don't want to upset him and cause confusion. But I will miss work ah it's ok will just tell my boss I was sick problem is I suck at these sign language explanations last time I tried to explain to my boss I was off sick he thought I saying I wanted to have sex with his wife. Oh no..

Social anxiety will always find a way to exist.

"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day. That is real freedom. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the "rat race" - the constant gnawing sense of having had and lost some infinite thing." (David Foster Wallace)
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:13 PM
Tired

Language: English
Love my voice.

Dimethylamidophenyldimethylpyrazolone
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleviate Suffering View Post
Oh wait that taxi is slowing down and oh no it thinks I was gesturing for it to stop i wasn't I just hold my hands in that weird way all the time. Ok ok i cant sign no now don't want to upset the driver. I will just ask for a short ride just ten minutes oh wait oh no he thinks I want to go to the airport now he's smiling the airport is a good fare for him don't want to upset him and cause confusion. But I will miss work ah it's ok will just tell my boss I was sick problem is I suck at these sign language explanations last time I tried to explain to my boss I was off sick he thought I saying I wanted to have sex with his wife. Oh no..

Social anxiety will always find a way to exist.
That was a good one.

Yeah, I agree - I think it would find a way to **** us up no matter how we communicate. It's more a fear of seeming to be anxious as far as I can see, not just a fear of how we sound. It's a fear of judgement or embarassment itself.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I still won't have anything to say, so at most part I don't see any benefit from it...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:03 PM
On Life Support

My Mood: Buzzed
I see where you're coming from. This might help certain individuals lose some of their inhibitions. But it would't work for me since I tend to talk with my eyes closed. It's a defense mechanism that developed into an idiosyncrasy. I don't know how people would react towards a person that acts blinds and talks in sign language in order to feel comfortable...

"Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand"

― Ian Curtis
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:11 AM
Wishing Time Will Freeze.

This forum will probably be renamed to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Support then.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 02:57 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Unfortunately I only know the middle finger one : /

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 AM
Your local potato farmer

my body language would still be awkward and I hate making eye contact with people so nah

more issues than vogue
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 05:08 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidBob View Post
Love my voice.
I thought so. And the sound of it. Me too. Yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopotato View Post
my body language would still be awkward and I hate making eye contact with people so nah
Usually you have to cut the eyes out of a potato. Lol

If the whole world did the sign language thing, there would be an awful lot more instances of getting poked in the eye I'd imagine. Just a drunken wayward gesture and "poink". Another eye poked. Oww.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 03:45 AM
Your local potato farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILOBRAVO View Post

Usually you have to cut the eyes out of a potato. Lol
Exactly, and people find that deeply unsettling. You can't win when you're a potato

more issues than vogue
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 04:33 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by discopotato View Post
Exactly, and people find that deeply unsettling. You can't win when you're a potato
But you have a thick skin tho, haven't you? That might help. Plus, for extra psychological barrier, you could always add a jacket.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:37 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Couldn't run businesses this way.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:21 AM
SAS Member

For sure, I've even thought about pretending to be mute to avoid talking to people but I'm paranoid about someone around knowing sign language. My speech impediment (mumbling) and my ugly sounding voice are one of the main causes of my anxiety. I could have at least been born with a nice sounding voice to make up for my bad looks but nope, I just had to get the full package of repulsiveness

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page