Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f24/)
-   -   would you be less socially awkward if we all people communicate only with sign language? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f24/would-you-be-less-socially-awkward-if-we-all-people-2224393/)

Coincidence 06-11-2019 06:50 AM

would you be less socially awkward if we all people communicate only with sign language?

i really hate my voice..

Silent Memory 06-11-2019 07:03 AM

You could still feel awkward making the signs, and it would probably be hard to concentrate in busy places, so you might miss parts of what people are saying.

Coincidence 06-11-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Memory (Post 1093739431)
You could still feel awkward making the signs, and it would probably be hard to concentrate in busy places, so you might miss parts of what people are saying.

i believe one of the main reasons why i have social phobia is how i hear my voice/ don't like it.

Silent Memory 06-11-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coincidence (Post 1093739465)
i believe one of the main reasons why i have social phobia is how i hear my voice/ don't like it.

It’s one of the reasons for mine, too. I think even if I sounded different, I still wouldn’t like how I sounded.

Persephone The Dread 06-12-2019 11:42 AM

I think so yeah but my theory has to do with the fact that initially as a young child I was diagnosed with selective mutism, and according to more recent research, the disorder is related to sensory processing abnormalities (like in autism,) especially auditory processing disorder.

https://gupea.ub.gu.se/bitstream/207...77_51545_1.pdf

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...7892931500016X

Quote:

Over the past decade SM has been typically conceptualized as an anxiety disorder (Beidel and Turner, 2005, Viana et al., 2009). Some researchers and clinicians suggested that SM is in fact an extreme type of social anxiety disorder (Black and Uhde, 1992, Black and Uhde, 1995). Alternatively it is conceivable that vocalizing, in and of its own, may constitute the feared context as in specific phobias. Both lines of clinical thought lead to cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) gaining center stage as first-line treatments for SM, with both approaches showing limited success (Kaakeh and Stumpf, 2008, Keeton and Budinger, 2012). While there are some indications for the involvement of Serotonin in auditory processing (Gopal et al., 2000, Thompson et al., 1998 ), the primary neurotransmitter supporting inhibitory efferent activity at the olivocochlear bundle and in the neuromuscular junction responsible for activation of the MEAR is acetylcholine (Godfrey et al., 1990, Simmons, 2002). Thus, current pharmacological and psychological treatments may not be able to target the underling auditory efferent deficits exhibited by a considerable portion of children with SM. The clinical efficacy of current treatments will probably remain limited to the anxiety symptoms commonly found in children with SM, leaving the speech-related primary symptom of the disorder untreated.
(it's pretty bad too, it's only when I started paying attention that I realised how often this ****s me up. Like even when alone I have to rewind TV shows I'm watching without subtitles a lot to understand what is being said lol, of course I do have other attention issues too though. Talking on the phone is bad particularly when the quality isn't good. Sometimes I pretend to have heard.)

https://youtu.be/THUNvidTA1M?t=5m54s

So assuming from a young age I was brought up in a world where people weren't speaking much then it might have helped a tiny amount. However I think there are some other things that contributed too, but perhaps it would have helped a bit especially at younger ages when the other things hadn't taken a toll/manifested yet, I don't know. I do seem to be kind of generally slow/out of it though, so maybe it wouldn't.

andy1984 06-12-2019 11:53 AM

I'd probably have become afraid of moving, but on the up side I'd be ok with making noises

WillYouStopDave 06-12-2019 11:58 AM

No

Alleviate Suffering 06-12-2019 12:43 PM

Oh wait that taxi is slowing down and oh no it thinks I was gesturing for it to stop i wasn't I just hold my hands in that weird way all the time. Ok ok i cant sign no now don't want to upset the driver. I will just ask for a short ride just ten minutes oh wait oh no he thinks I want to go to the airport now he's smiling the airport is a good fare for him don't want to upset him and cause confusion. But I will miss work ah it's ok will just tell my boss I was sick problem is I suck at these sign language explanations last time I tried to explain to my boss I was off sick he thought I saying I wanted to have sex with his wife. Oh no..

Social anxiety will always find a way to exist.

SplendidBob 06-12-2019 04:13 PM

Love my voice.

harrison 06-12-2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alleviate Suffering (Post 1093740511)
Oh wait that taxi is slowing down and oh no it thinks I was gesturing for it to stop i wasn't I just hold my hands in that weird way all the time. Ok ok i cant sign no now don't want to upset the driver. I will just ask for a short ride just ten minutes oh wait oh no he thinks I want to go to the airport now he's smiling the airport is a good fare for him don't want to upset him and cause confusion. But I will miss work ah it's ok will just tell my boss I was sick problem is I suck at these sign language explanations last time I tried to explain to my boss I was off sick he thought I saying I wanted to have sex with his wife. Oh no..

Social anxiety will always find a way to exist.

:) That was a good one.

Yeah, I agree - I think it would find a way to **** us up no matter how we communicate. It's more a fear of seeming to be anxious as far as I can see, not just a fear of how we sound. It's a fear of judgement or embarassment itself.

ShotInTheDark 06-12-2019 06:56 PM

I still won't have anything to say, so at most part I don't see any benefit from it...

Eternal Solitude 06-12-2019 08:03 PM

I see where you're coming from. This might help certain individuals lose some of their inhibitions. But it would't work for me since I tend to talk with my eyes closed. It's a defense mechanism that developed into an idiosyncrasy. I don't know how people would react towards a person that acts blinds and talks in sign language in order to feel comfortable...

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...378413b47.webp

Blue Dino 06-13-2019 02:11 AM

This forum will probably be renamed to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Support then.

blue2 06-13-2019 02:57 AM

Unfortunately I only know the middle finger one : /

discopotato 06-13-2019 05:04 AM

my body language would still be awkward and I hate making eye contact with people so nah

KILOBRAVO 06-13-2019 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SplendidBob (Post 1093740711)
Love my voice.

I thought so. And the sound of it. Me too. Yay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by discopotato (Post 1093741255)
my body language would still be awkward and I hate making eye contact with people so nah

Usually you have to cut the eyes out of a potato. Lol

If the whole world did the sign language thing, there would be an awful lot more instances of getting poked in the eye I'd imagine. Just a drunken wayward gesture and "poink". Another eye poked. Oww.

discopotato 06-15-2019 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILOBRAVO (Post 1093741259)

Usually you have to cut the eyes out of a potato. Lol

Exactly, and people find that deeply unsettling. You can't win when you're a potato

KILOBRAVO 06-15-2019 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discopotato (Post 1093742881)
Exactly, and people find that deeply unsettling. You can't win when you're a potato

But you have a thick skin tho, haven't you? That might help. Plus, for extra psychological barrier, you could always add a jacket.

nubly 06-15-2019 05:37 AM

Couldn't run businesses this way.

Swanhild 06-16-2019 11:21 AM

For sure, I've even thought about pretending to be mute to avoid talking to people but I'm paranoid about someone around knowing sign language. My speech impediment (mumbling) and my ugly sounding voice are one of the main causes of my anxiety. I could have at least been born with a nice sounding voice to make up for my bad looks but nope, I just had to get the full package of repulsiveness