Why aren't there many parents on here? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Why aren't there many parents on here?

I'm a mom. I have anxiety. Coming from a community where people suffer from social anxiety, as do I, it feels like sorry we can't relate, so f off. Really guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 06:01 PM
Not like the other ducks

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
This forum is pretty inactive now but for most of the forum history the main demographic were people in their late teens and 20s and also people with mental health issues. Many posters here have never had relationships or serious relationships as well and people with anxiety issues are probably less likely to have kids on average as well. There have been a few parents here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2020, 07:29 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrik View Post
I'm a mom. I have anxiety. Coming from a community where people suffer from social anxiety, as do I, it feels like sorry we can't relate, so f off. Really guys?
I'm a parent - my son is 27. There are one or two others but very few.

If I'm honest I'd say this forum isn't really all that great for parents or people that like children in general - or even other people for that matter. It's sort of complicated but it seems to largely be a coping mechanism for many here to account for their lack of life experience/life skills.

I'm sorry that that's a bit rude - but I'd say it's a fairly realistic appraisal of the situation, from what I've seen over the years anyway.

Edit: not always the case obviously, but it's fairly prevalent here.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 01:12 AM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: '̸̼̩̑́̄͆̾͆̿́̕ṅ̶͒́
Becoming a parent requires a degree of interpersonal skills most of us lack (for finding a mate, navigating the adoption system, or finding the nerve to go to the doctor for IVF... and also being willing to tolerate all the social challenges that raising a child entails).

Welcome, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
for most of the forum history the main demographic were people in their late teens and 20s
I think the remnants of those people make up most of the forum today, but are in their late 20s to 40s now. The average age feels much older than it used to.

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 02:52 AM
Not like the other ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Becoming a parent requires a degree of interpersonal skills most of us lack (for finding a mate, navigating the adoption system, or finding the nerve to go to the doctor for IVF... and also being willing to tolerate all the social challenges that raising a child entails).

Welcome, though.

I think the remnants of those people make up most of the forum today, but are in their late 20s to 40s now. The average age feels much older than it used to.
Yeah I just meant historically at this point I think there are too few people to really make comments.

Quote:
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 03:20 AM
Pesky Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

My guess is the demography if late teens and 20s nowadays are more so interacting on twitter or community texting apps. Forums are mostly an obsoleting outlet for Millennials or older.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 10:00 AM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
maybe parents dont have time to mope about on SAS.

they're all probably on howtonotkillmychild.com. priorities!

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 10:53 AM
😷

My Mood: Angelic
Well people with children have probably had to be consistently sociable at some point in their lives to even become a parent, most here aren't at that level.

That's not to say mental health conditions can't worsen over time or that the suffering is any less of someone that is a parent.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 03:02 PM
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
That would involve me having sex with someone, which is an idea so ridiculous it makes me want to laugh out loud and chortle.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 03:26 PM
😷

My weiner is full of geniuses, now more than ever the world needs them !!!.... Said no one ever <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/no.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
- Macbeth
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 04:32 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
I'm a step parent of an adult who's far far surpassed anything I've ever accomplished. It's an odd sort of existence parenting when you have social anxiety and panic attacks etc. You learn to compartmentalize and internalize and persevere and if all else fails, fake your way through. It's doable and fulfilling. It feels good to be close to someone and in many instances feel comfortable with them. It gets really hard when the obligatory responsibilities of socializing with your child's circle of friends and acquaintances and friends' parents etc become a common part of your day. Feel free to reach out if you're so inclined. Sorry, I didn't exactly address the question. Just wanted you to know that there are a few of us out here.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 05:50 PM
❤️ Administrator ❤️

You’re still welcome here if people can’t relate because they’re not parents.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 06:29 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
We exist, but on this forum the threads specifically discussing parenting children have at times been met with antinatalism which in general, only makes those of us that do have kids not likely to discuss them. It only makes sense, we are on a mental health forum and many people here feel miserable and feel that creating any form of life is unethical. It is unfortunate though, because having kids and SA brings about a host of issues that I'm sure many parents would like to discuss and receive advice for. As for me, I bring mine up every now and then, but avoid these threads most of the time.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 08:27 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
This forum is pretty inactive now but for most of the forum history the main demographic were people in their late teens and 20s and also people with mental health issues. Many posters here have never had relationships or serious relationships as well and people with anxiety issues are probably less likely to have kids on average as well. There have been a few parents here though.
Is the forum dead now? Bummer...I just registered recently but I'll have to look for another one i guess. I'd been on this forum many years ago and expected to resume with the same level of activity. oh well.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-20-2020, 08:56 PM
Not like the other ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queneluvr View Post
Is the forum dead now? Bummer...I just registered recently but I'll have to look for another one i guess. I'd been on this forum many years ago and expected to resume with the same level of activity. oh well.
I don't think there are really any active equivalent forums for social anxiety now, this was previously the most active and now they're all kind of inactive. Social media is just more popular now.

Quote:

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 08:59 AM
SASsy

Language: King's English
My Mood: Doubtful
I'm not a parent but my late father had severe anxiety also and I've recently found out he fathered several other kids that were given up for adoption.

Phew.

"It's not me they're after, it's you. I'm just in their way."

- Donald J. Trump
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 01:25 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I'm a parent - my son is 27. There are one or two others but very few.

If I'm honest I'd say this forum isn't really all that great for parents or people that like children in general - or even other people for that matter. It's sort of complicated but it seems to largely be a coping mechanism for many here to account for their lack of life experience/life skills.

I'm sorry that that's a bit rude - but I'd say it's a fairly realistic appraisal of the situation, from what I've seen over the years anyway.

Edit: not always the case obviously, but it's fairly prevalent here.
Yep, in general It seems like most people here hate people. Posters on here tend to be the kind that wants to limit childbirths to no more than 1 per woman if that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queneluvr View Post
Sad!

The world is quiet here.

"The world...what a glorious place! Seek your dreams, and they will lie stretched out before your eyes. If the endless wind guides your restless spirit, seize it! Raise your flag, and stand tall!"
--One Piece
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 01:42 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmu'14 View Post
Yep, in general It seems like most people here hate people. Posters on here tend to be the kind that wants to limit childbirths to no more than 1 per woman if that

Sad!
Hi mate - hope you're doing okay.

I've noticed the same thing on one other mental health place - it was a Facebook group, an Avoidant Personality Disorder group. They did the same thing.

The way I interpret it is that they've turned the fear into rage and anger - it's probably easier to hate people and group them all together than to address their own shortcomings and fear.

I could be wrong though, I'm no shrink. (I've spoken to quite a few though)

I've never seen it on other places like bipolar forums or groups. Their lives most likely have been impacted very differently by their mental health issues though and they have still often been able to have relationships, jobs etc. So the resentment isn't there as much.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-21-2020, 07:19 PM
😷

I never said I hated anyone, nor do I have rage or anger issues ....only logical thought preside's over my psyche.

- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page