What was your favourite age? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
bipolar

What was your favourite age?

If I think about it I think I really felt good in my 40's. Twenties were okay but I had no idea what the hell was going on. Much the same in my 30's - I got married when I was 30 and we had my son when I was 35. Jesus that scares the hell out of you. I still had no idea what the hell was happening - lucky my wife always had a lot more sense than I have.

I think 40's is a great age - you feel a lot more settled. I think I did anyway. Fifties was okay - especially when you're still in the early ones. Then as you make your way through them you realise you're almost 60 - and you're back to realising you have no idea what's going on again.

So which age did you like the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:27 AM
pirate

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
21, 22, 23. difficult, amazing years. the awakening.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:36 AM

This age, more wiser.
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando View Post
This age, more wiser.
If you're around the age I think you are mate I think you're approaching peak age.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
If you're around the age I think you are mate I think you're approaching peak age.
Getting close to mate.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:25 AM
Permanent identity crisis

This age. Every year gets better since I was 27. First 26 years sucked.

On enhanced mobile I don't receive notifications besides pms. Apologies if I don't respond.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 03:51 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Probably 18-20. No anxiety, out of high school, was training a lot, going out and having lots of fun.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchness View Post
Probably 18-20. No anxiety, out of high school, was training a lot, going out and having lots of fun.
I wouldn't say I liked that age tbh - even through my 20's. Even though I had girlfriends and stuff and a lot of good times I think I was just very immature - and probably very insecure. Always worrying about something.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
bipolar

I don't think I matured properly until in my 40's some time - I was just a kid before that.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 04:48 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Quote:
I wouldn't say I liked that age tbh - even through my 20's. Even though I had girlfriends and stuff and a lot of good times I think I was just very immature - and probably very insecure. Always worrying about something.
Quote:
I don't think I matured properly until in my 40's some time - I was just a kid before that.
I don't think I matured until about a year or two ago. In a lot of ways I still feel a lot like I'm in my early 20's.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 05:23 AM
Russian Modster

21-24 were pretty good years, despite a lot of the crap I went through, the majority of it was when it feels like I had more I could've done/look forward to. It's just been downhill ever since, it feels like.

:: Anybody else want to run? Contorting, distorting, I am undone. One less propaganda nightmare fixture. Are you getting the picture? Separate. I've lost my only way. See the shape, Broken and thrown away. ::

Попроси у облаков
Подарить нам белых снов
Ночь плывет и мы за ней
В мир таинственных огней
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 AM
loser

Language: some French, some German, English and my mother tongue which is also top secret
I'm surprised at the answers. Mine is probably between 7 and 12 or so. Not a worry in the world. The few memories I have of this period are all heavenly. At that age the world is still full of magic and adventure.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:07 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I had a brief window in my early 40s where I felt good about myself and had high expectations and hopes for my future, including my career and social life... I guess it was ages 40-42. It just didn't work out.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:31 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java
Childhood before I turned 8. Back before the move that made me bitter and jaded, before I ever had to make "new" friends. Specifically 6-7 when a girl and I played at "boyfriend and girlfriend" at school. Probably rose-colored glasses but I'm okay with that.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:42 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
I'll go with pretty much everything before 30. That was when everything really started to nosedive way more than before. Things were still kinda OK for a few years (inertia) but once the real health problems of getting older and so forth started to kick in, things started sucking much harder than before.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:56 AM

I guess my 18, early 20's because right after high school despite not knowing what to do with myself in life I spent a most of my time on an online forum. It was so fun there. I made friends, talked with people, got into some toxic situations that I would had never gotten into in the real world. It felt like I was living a double life online through my mind. In a way I somewhat lost in touch with reality for a good 5 years. I'm somewhat still stuck in it. Add 3 more years to my 5. A total of 8 years.

Recently at the age of 26 I feel like I am getting back in touch with reality and with the real me. When you have no direction in life, or if your life is slow and at a standstill you will spend your time online. In reality it appear as if I wasn't experiencing but in vitural reality I was experiencing a LOT of social situations. It felt like a vitural training hologram deck.

If I think about it deeply I prefer this age of 26 and beyond because I feel wiser than what I was in my 18 and in early 20's life.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:57 AM
'internet nerd'

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Probably before school started, but I don't remember that time. It's hard to pick an entire year tbh, more like specific events or maybe days or weeks. I guess I'll go with 7. After that probably 18/19.

Edit: actually 6/7 the thing is I remember things more in terms of academic years, and my birthday is about half way through that.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

I am a genius can't you tell?
I'm a necessary evil morally reprehensible
I'm old enough to know better, but too young to care
Got a foot in the grave and an article of vanity fair
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM
SAS Member

Probably around 8-9? At least looking back. It's hard to remember but I played soccer then and I was awesome at it (because I wasn't the smallest and weakest on the team yet) and I had some fun times with teammates. I got to have a short haircut which I liked a lot better than my shoulder length hair. I still went to summer camp which was fun, although it was maybe better around 7-8. (By 9-11 things change. Kids start telling you that you can't have friends of the opposite sex without liking them romantically and stuff and I never coped well with that.) I was the near perfect daughter, student, etc. I was quiet but people were willing to let that slide, back then.

post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:45 PM
untitled document

Language: None
I'd have to go with 34. Just because I was in a relationship that year, which got me to explore the world and myself more than I manage on my own. It really had nothing to do with the age, just circumstantial luck. In general things get better with age though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
I'm surprised at the answers. Mine is probably between 7 and 12 or so. Not a worry in the world. The few memories I have of this period are all heavenly. At that age the world is still full of magic and adventure.
Not if you're a skeptical, cynical, social phobic hermit 7-12 year old like I was. I have way more fun and adventure now than I ever did as a kid.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM
Barbells and kittens

35 has been awesome so far. My childhood wasn't great because of bullying and my parents' divorce, and teens and 20's were mostly bad because of mental health issues and drug problems related to mental health issues. Now that I have some stability and make enough money to really enjoy my hobbies and travel a bit life is pretty good most of the time. I wish I'd figured this stuff out when I was younger, but better late than never.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page