What triggers you? - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Mr. Fantastic

My Mood: Stressed
Question

What triggers you?

I'm sure that we all have numerous triggers, but what is one of the worst or most recent triggers that you have been dealing with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 12:42 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Cheerful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcnca View Post
I'm sure that we all have numerous triggers, but what is one of the worst or most recent triggers that you have been dealing with?

I don't have many triggers anymore Kcnca, hateful people get me upset, but I don't take action against them. I think the last greatest trigger I had, was Terfs, they really bothered me for a while. Now I just see them, and move on. I can even browse 4chan now, and not lose my cool. I don't agree with many of the posts, but I don't get really angry and want to argue.. I just think people in general can be hateful *******s and are not worth my time, and most definitely are not worth any mental anguish. I see most people as unreasonably hateful toward others, that is unfortunately the default, and much like I would treat a pack of wild wolves, I just do my best to avoid them rather than confront them. Confrontation, just makes them more ravenous. Engaging with them, is akin to feeding them, I would rather let the ****s starve.

(つ 𓎟)つ┳━┳
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 02:16 AM
Loathed Loiterer

Personality-A individuals that also has to subject their own lifestyle and how they approach things, to those around them. Expecting you to cater to their timing and scheduling on the spot and quickly.

Ones that don't do this and you just keep this lifestyle to yourself, I have no problems with. You do you. But if you start doing others, it triggering.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 03:35 AM
bipolar

With me it's difficult sometimes to know if something is triggering me or if it's how I'm feeling then it just builds on itself. Certain things will definitely affect me - not just things I see online but also on TV or hear around me in real life. I can get very aggravated even just by a person's voice, for example, if I'm in the wrong frame of mind or feeling unwell.

I'm not really sure if it's just my moods - because I usually won't know how I am from one day to the next. It can vary enormously. I can be watching TV and a particular mood will come over me, or a terrible wave of anxiety - and I have to just wait it out. Often I'll take a bit of Valium to help calm down.

If I'm getting manic I can at least feel it coming a lot of the time nowadays. The music will start to sound "too good." Everything starts to go too fast inside my head and it will literally feel like it's going to explode. If I'm out I'll want to talk to random people, it can be worse - not harmful just that you feel an incredible sort of exuberance, like you want to devour them. It's hard to describe it properly but that's fairly close.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 09:47 AM
Failure's Art

Other humans.

You live up in your head
Scared of every little noise
Someone's always breaking in accidentally
Using nothing but their voice
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 01:26 PM
SAS Member

The news. Which is why I don't watch it anymore
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 01:37 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
With me it's difficult sometimes to know if something is triggering me or if it's how I'm feeling then it just builds on itself. Certain things will definitely affect me - not just things I see online but also on TV or hear around me in real life. I can get very aggravated even just by a person's voice, for example, if I'm in the wrong frame of mind or feeling unwell.

I'm not really sure if it's just my moods - because I usually won't know how I am from one day to the next. It can vary enormously. I can be watching TV and a particular mood will come over me, or a terrible wave of anxiety - and I have to just wait it out. Often I'll take a bit of Valium to help calm down.
I can get behind this, sort of. I have a bunch of stuff I'm working on right now in regards to my SA, and sometimes I find that how easy or difficult something is to do will depend not only on what that thing is, but also the mood I'm in or what sort of day I'm having. Like, I'll have one day where I need to do this thing, like go to a new store I've never been to before, and it will just seem like a monumental, impossible task. And then the next day I'll just roll out of bed and run through the door like it's an 80s-movie training montage and buy some milk and I'll be like, "Why was that even supposed to be hard?"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 02:19 PM
Stoicism / ACT / CFT

Language: English
@staticradio725 very much the same.

I fluctuate day by day, but over longer periods the fluctuations can be really big. Atm it feels like everything is on hard mode this week, I haven't even been able to keep my daily meditation, which I have done pretty consistently for a year now. I have two job interviews this week, and the way I am feeling atm (pretty sure I would qualify for clinical depression atm, everything is grey, my mind feels slow etc etc) I think they are going to be unbelievably hard.

Its really difficult if you are pushing yourself with SA, and you don't have an even mood base to work from, I tend unfortunately not to go easy on myself, and downgrade my expectations, I end up being self-critical that I can't do what I could easily very recently.

Compassion focused therapy audio, guided meditations:

https://balancedminds.com/audio/
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 02:27 PM
SAS Member

Language: English.
I have PTSD and certain things Trigger me, the most I would say is things falling and breaking or people come up behind me and scaring me. Anytime I hear fighting it freaks me out because it reminds of when my ex used to fight with me and he's scream at the top of his lungs. A lot of people don't seem to understand it but I try to explain it to them the best way I can. I'm pretty relaxed for the most part until I'm reminded of something that happened to me.

"Healing takes courage, and we all have courage, even if we have to dig a little to find it." ~Tori Amos
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 02:27 PM
burned by tea 🍵

Bullying. Not like playful banter, I mean actually harassing someone that is obviously uncomfortable or afraid to stand up for themselves. I know I can't stop all of it but I'll be damned if I let it happen in front of me with nothing to say.

The sentiment grew from my own history with being bullied and seeing how bad it can get if nobody does anything. Makes my blood boil.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 05:26 PM
Just a bit stitious

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Snow, cold, wind....I donít handle winter well at all. Which is bad for me considering I live in a place that is notorious for having bad winters. Any day from October - April it could snow at any moment...and not stop for hours.

Commercials. I watch very little tv partly due to the fact I cannot stand commercials so much. Lots of them are either annoying, have perky or obnxoious people or are the opposite...depressing and draining.

Crowds really freak me out. Always have...way before Covid came along.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 06:39 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticradio725 View Post
I can get behind this, sort of. I have a bunch of stuff I'm working on right now in regards to my SA, and sometimes I find that how easy or difficult something is to do will depend not only on what that thing is, but also the mood I'm in or what sort of day I'm having. Like, I'll have one day where I need to do this thing, like go to a new store I've never been to before, and it will just seem like a monumental, impossible task. And then the next day I'll just roll out of bed and run through the door like it's an 80s-movie training montage and buy some milk and I'll be like, "Why was that even supposed to be hard?"
That pretty much sums up most of my days nowadays, although with me a lot of it is due to my bipolar disorder I think. My anxiety will vary a lot too though - depending on how I'm feeling in general, as you say.

What I hate is how - like this morning, I made two phone calls - and I could feel myself getting manic while I was talking to the ladies at the reception desk. It doesn't always happen but when it does it's horrible.

I sometimes have to tell people I have bipolar disorder, that's why I can't stop talking - which they usually take fairly well. It leaves me feeling drained and tired though - and sort of all worked up. So I guess I'd say that just talking to people is very often a trigger for me.

I don't think I got enough sleep last night, which could be a reason. My old psych used to always ask me how I'd been sleeping.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 06:46 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
Eternal optimists.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2021, 12:59 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I'm not really clear on what "trigger" means in this context. Annoyance? Discomfort? Emotional anguish?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2021, 03:09 AM
customusertitle

hmm. it varies.

I think mostly stuff that makes me feel inferior in some way. I don't mind anything in small doses. But if I see something too often or from too many people, I start to internalize it pretty easily, and then I get this feeling of wanting to peel my own skin off, or vomit my inner worms.

I think the last time that happened was like ~ 2 years ago, I felt everywhere I went online was full of 'race realists'. Now it's not as prevalent so it doesn't trigger me as much.

Also, same with gender, sexuality, mental illness, religion stuff. Though can't think of a particular thing that would trigger me right now

the truth may vary
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2021, 03:09 AM
SAS Member

Hearing about people that are close to their families. Cousins that are close.

Fathers that are dedicated and interested in their children.

People with supportive friends. Friends that love them and stands up for them.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2021, 03:46 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
People who are very zealous or pushy about things, especially religion. People who actually believe that their way is "good" or "right" while everyone else is "bad" or "wrong." People who don't understand that diversity is a good thing, in all areas of life.

Also people who are fake or superficial. Especially those holier-than-thou people who pretend to be super righteous when they're actually worse than most -- sadists, socipaths and psychopaths.

"Sin" is an imaginary disease invented to sell you an imaginary cure.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2021, 04:27 AM
Narcissistic Rageaholic

My Mood: Brooding
Thinking about my future. The only way I can get through the day is by pretending I'm not sliding inevitably into a horrorshow.

Beauty isn't everything. It's the only thing.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page