What's your Favourite /Least Favourite House Chore? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
On Life Support

My Mood: Buzzed

What's your Favourite /Least Favourite House Chore?

I take it that for some having to do a chore will never be fun... but still there must be some chores that you can tolerate more than others and some that you absolutely loathe doing. What are they?

Personally, I love cooking. I don't mind doing t cleaning (vacuuming , dusting, etc..) music makes it a lot easier.

But I absolutely hate doing laundry

As a matter of fact :

And bedsheets... lots of bedsheets... I never wash them I just throw them away and buy new ones every 3 months or so.

Thank goodness that this is 2019 and things are about to get much easier:

"Existence well what does it matter?
I exist on the best terms I can
The past is now part of my future,
The present is well out of hand"

― Ian Curtis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:21 PM

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Stupid forum errors causing me to lose my post. (And then the forum went down for an entire hour.)

I hate vacuuming because of the sound so that might be the worst, but I dislike all other household tasks too, there aren't any I like. Laundry is easy at least because you just stick in the wash powder, and put it on. Same with cooking using an oven, requires little monitoring. I hate changing bedding too. I have actually taken about 5+ hours to do it before, and I don't mean just putting it off I mean starting and stopping.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:29 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Laundry is my most hated chore because I have to leave my apartment to do it. And it requires leaving my apartment every 30 minutes for 2 hours or more. Have to go up and down stairs and unlock many doors and actually go outside to enter the building basement. It's awful. Risk running into my neighbors. Can't do the laundry Saturday or Sunday afternoon (when I'd like to do it) because the machines will likely be occupied. I have to beg for quarters from the supermarket.

The other day I couldn't do the dry because the damn coin slot got jammed. Perfect timing too cause I was drying my duvet cover which takes forever to dry. I hadn't washed it in several months. Landlord fixed it the next day but too late. Turns out it was jammed because the machine was full of quarters. So I had to hang dry EVERYTHING because my landlord was too lazy to get the quarters out in a timely manner.

I wouldn't mind doing the laundry if I had the great luxury of having a washer and dryer inside my apartment. But those types of apartments are pricey.

Kitty Therapy

The Meaning of Life

The Grim Reaper

We're going riding on the freeway......
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:48 PM

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
Laundry is my most hated chore because I have to leave my apartment to do it. And it requires leaving my apartment every 30 minutes for 2 hours or more. Have to go up and down stairs and unlock many doors and actually go outside to enter the building basement. It's awful. Risk running into my neighbors. Can't do the laundry Saturday or Sunday afternoon (when I'd like to do it) because the machines will likely be occupied. I have to beg for quarters from the supermarket.

The other day I couldn't do the dry because the damn coin slot got jammed. Perfect timing too cause I was drying my duvet cover which takes forever to dry. I hadn't washed it in several months. Landlord fixed it the next day but too late. Turns out it was jammed because the machine was full of quarters. So I had to hang dry EVERYTHING because my landlord was too lazy to get the quarters out in a timely manner.

I wouldn't mind it if I had the great luxury of having a washer and dryer inside my apartment. But those types of apartments are pricey.
Yeah communal washing machines are a pain. When I was in halls at uni the washing machine/dryers were in a different building so I'd have to go up and down a few times typically and I was always trying to avoid my flatmates so that was a pain. The plus side is there were dryers I guess so I didn't have to hang clothes all over the place.

Then later when I lived alone a couple of other people in the building were almost always outside by the bottom of the stairs on this sofa smoking. There was a washing machine that technically didn't belong to us in this little outhouse type thing that I think we were allowed to use, though it belonged to the people living in the bungalow behind (really weird layout.) I used it once before deciding to just start washing my clothes in the bath while I lived there (about 10 months.)

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 02:21 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
No favorite chore, I mostly put them off till I have to do them, laundry is easy enough, I bought a washing machine for our house about 5 years ago, just put in powder & go, mostly hang dry but we have a dryer too, my mother & sister worked in hotels housekeeping for years so they taught me how to change bedclothes fairly fast when they would no longer do it for me , hovering is meh, I'm not really that fond of cooking, my oldest sister moved back home last year after a bad relationship ended so she does most of it cause she likes cooking, I chop firewood, buy coal etc cause we have a solid fuel stove, recently installed a new one I bought for a Christmas present for my mother for €2200, I look after the small bit of land & farm my father left behind when he died, use the money towards the house & helping my mother, I do a bit of painting occasionally, clean & maintain the private sewage system when needed etc,
So cutting the lawn is probably favorite chore, sewage system maintainance least favorite.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:20 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
My favorite chore is organizing. I don't like cleaning/scrubbing/mopping/vacuuming/dusting, etc. I like to organize and figure out the best way things should be set up. Like where should dishes and food go in the fridge and cabinets? Where should I store my bathroom products? Where should the furniture be placed? Unfortunately, I have no bathroom cabinet....

Even though I'm not very good at this sort of thing, I'd like to get into do-it-yourself things. Like creating things out of wood. Putting shelves on the walls. Can't really do it in an apartment, but if I ever have my own home would be so much fun.

For example I've been looking for a spice rack and I saw this on reddit. So cool. It's actually inside the wall and doesn't stick out. I also like how it has a proper door on it. I don't like stuff just hanging out, particularly small stuff. I like everything to be enclosed.

Or

Kitty Therapy

The Meaning of Life

The Grim Reaper

We're going riding on the freeway......
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:24 PM
bipolar

I like laundry because I have a washing machine and dryer in my flat - so I do it quite often and don't really think about it. I guess vacuuming is a bit of a pain, and also washing up. I don't have a dishwasher here like at my wife's house. Even there though I still used to wash the pots and everything else around the sinks - I like to have things very clean and I hate anything being wet, so I'd always have to have it clean and dry.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Barbells and kittens

I wouldn't call any my favorite. Some I don't really mind are cooking, laundry, and washing dishes. My least favorite by far is mowing the lawn.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:07 PM
🐞 Moderator 🐞

I like organising, putting grocery shopping away and dusting.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:46 PM
The Groat King

I don't like none but putting sheets on the bed I hate the most!
Especially that mf'ing fitted one.
2019 and we are still doing bed sheets like it's 1819.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:42 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
I like putting the laundry in the machine and starting it up but hanging it up can be the worst when you're doing socks and underwear. I used to hate vacuuming the most but now that I have a cordless vacuum it's a breeze and I kind if enjoy it.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:20 PM
SAS Member

I don't have a favorite.

My least favorite is specifically washing pots and pans. I haven't figured out a better way to wash them in the sink. I don't think there is an easier way. The water gets everywhere and I don't like that. I get my shirts a little soaked from it. And sweeping the living room carpet. We don't have a good vacuum cleaner here anymore. The one that is here is pointless to use cause you have to charge it before using it and the charge doesn't even last 2 minutes. I think it was a ripoff. So sweeping it takes awhile and I don't have all the time for sweeping all the dirt out of the carpet.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:49 PM
your dads girlfriend

Language: everything
My Mood: Sleepy
I like to vacuum with my new vacuum, it makes me happy. I really dislike doing the dishes, it makes me feel very overwhelmed and depressed.

I know a poet. He’s as sweet as pie, writes poems about me that make me cry. Arthur Miller, 12 years senior, he’s my bugga baby sigh.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:55 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java
I enjoy cooking. Not sure if that counts as a chore. And I don't do much fancy stuff; just good home-cooked food. I also don't mind doing dishes or taking out the trash, or even doing laundry really.

The one thing I really cannot handle and thus hate with a passion is cleaning toilets. I have moderate coprophobia so I really get tense whenever I have to do it. And then I have to scrub my hands and arms for ages afterwards -- even if I wore gloves.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Thumbs up

yep

Quote:

I wouldn't mind doing the laundry if I had the great luxury of having a washer and dryer inside my apartment. But those types of apartments are pricey.
Hoovering is top!
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:03 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Stressed
I do actually like cleaning (dusting, wiping, vacuuming, washing dishes, etc), but I for the life of me hate putting things back in their place. I'll pretty much never have full cupboards/cutlery drawers, and willingly live out of the [clean] laundry bags I keep on my floor.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
My favorite chore is organizing. I don't like cleaning/scrubbing/mopping/vacuuming/dusting, etc. I like to organize and figure out the best way things should be set up. Like where should dishes and food go in the fridge and cabinets? Where should I store my bathroom products? Where should the furniture be placed? Unfortunately, I have no bathroom cabinet....

Even though I'm not very good at this sort of thing, I'd like to get into do-it-yourself things. Like creating things out of wood. Putting shelves on the walls. Can't really do it in an apartment, but if I ever have my own home would be so much fun.

For example I've been looking for a spice rack and I saw this on reddit. So cool. It's actually inside the wall and doesn't stick out. I also like how it has a proper door on it. I don't like stuff just hanging out, particularly small stuff. I like everything to be enclosed.

Or

So, your thoughts about spice racks are intertwined with thoughts about cats (predictably ). That's a strange combination. But now you've done it to the rest of us too. If I'm ever in the store and I'm looking at the Mrs Dash and I suddenly see an image of a cat in my mind, I'll know why.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 12:32 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
I like the feeling of getting things straightened out and organized and cleaned. I even kind of enjoy the act of doing it. What I don't enjoy is when things start to get cluttered and I keep putting it off. Over time, it piles up and it eventually starts to seem hopelessly cluttered and feels like it's all closing in on me. Which actually doesn't make me want to do it more but just makes me more miserable.

Yesterday, I spent several hours randomly organizing stuff that has been piling up for months. Barely even put a dent in what needs to be done but it's way more better now.

So basically, I like the doing and I like the feeling of results but I do not like the feeling of being overwhelmed when I get lazy for a while and don't know where to start.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:30 AM
CWe
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Blah
I like them all sort of lol. Makes me feel like I’m doing something other than nothing at all

post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 01:39 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
I don't really like washing dishes but I'm good at it. When I worked at McDonald's I washed the dishes once and after that I did them most of the time. After I left, I was working as a personal trainer and I was out one night and saw the manager from McDonald's and she was drunk, asking me if I wanted to come back and wash dishes. I was like "Why would I want to do that?" And she's like "We'll take care of you" lol.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page