What profession would you pursue if SAD didn't stand in your way? - Social Anxiety Forum
View Poll Results: What profession would you pursue if SAD didn't stand in your way?
Detective 2 18.18%
Actor 1 9.09%
Doctor 0 0%
TV Presenter 1 9.09%
Reporter 1 9.09%
Flight Attendant 1 9.09%
Politician 2 18.18%
Teacher 4 36.36%
CEO 1 9.09%
Other 5 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What profession would you pursue if SAD didn't stand in your way?

I love detective shows and movies, and I know I would have made a great FBI agent if it weren't for my social awkwardness. Out of curiosity, what profession would you pursue if SAD didn't stand in your way?

As a followup question, are you working towards your dream job in spite of SAD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 07:11 AM
😀

An educator
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 10:10 AM
Fupa King

Language: English
I'd want to be a college professor.

Life's Wack
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 10:41 AM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
I was studying microbiology originally. could have done that. could have been an electrician or in IT. but now idk what I would want to do if I wasnt avoiding people. a politician? teacher? but I dont want to work with people lol. maybe I would be a homeless mumbling monster - shouty rather than mumbly without anxiety.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 10:44 AM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

My Mood: Crappy
Writer.

I already write, have been since around age eleven, and have posted it online for years, but nobody reads it even for free, and I don't have the guts to market myself (no social connections to do so anyway) or face the inevitable rejection of trying to get published. Even hanging out on writers' forums is too painful (there's none of the camaraderie I expected, just other writers sneering down their noses at me because I'm not a "real writer," and "critique" nowadays seems to mean basically trolling and insults).

Writers need lots of guts (and a very thick skin) and by now I just have none.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2020, 11:26 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad
Radio...specifically talk radio. I have always been fascinated with and interested in the media. Even studied it in college knowing full well I would never make it in the industry.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 05:30 AM
Sas user

A scientist studying snow and ice in Antarctica, and some wildlife. I would be based there almost year round, and during winter i will take a ship to Chile (very close) and bivouac in the mountains. Ill buy new gear and clothes before going back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 08:28 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I mean I'll become a teacher (as one of the things I have qualifications to with ze degree)...

Before I had sad, I was going to become a teacher as well, although for a different subject.

Shouldn't let SAD affect what career you want to pursue. I used to work in a place where I had to talk to crowds of up to 40 people in 2 languages (occasionally tried 3rd but I'm not too good at it due to not using it enough).

While it's not very comfortable at first, you get used to it.

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:06 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
Concert promoter/Recording engineer/music venue manager//DJ

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 11:32 AM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raies View Post
While it's not very comfortable at first, you get used to it.
Not being snippy or anything, but some of us never do. All I've ever gotten is worse.

Don't know why I'm expanding on that but...

Granted, perhaps in this case it's a matter of what sort of social interactions different professions require? I can actually handle limited social interaction that doesn't require anything of a close/personal nature (be out in public, make a few minutes of smalltalk, I could probably read something aloud to a group of people if I absolutely had to though I'd feel humiliated the rest of the day), but the moment an interaction becomes more personal/indepth (detailed conversation, getting to know somebody, asking what someone thinks of me), I panic.

My chosen profession (writer) wouldn't necessarily require talking to big crowds (which is nerve racking but doesn't necessarily involve more indepth/personal social interaction) so much as frequently dealing with the potential for harsh personal criticism, rejection, and even mockery. I've already dealt with decades of that, both related to writing and not, and I've never gotten used to it...I've only gotten worse. I literally feel that the only thing that would help counter the years of mostly negative experiences would be years of nothing but positive experiences, which is pretty unreasonable to expect.

I think like how some people have naturally compromised immune systems and can't fight off disease/infection the way most people can, some of us have naturally compromised abilities to handle social/emotional difficulties and we just don't get used to, bounce back from, or "toughen up" from, negative experiences the way most people do. And then dealing with bad experiences in addition to that just worsens things. I feel like I've been born without skin and even the tiniest grains of sand (negative social experiences) hurt me far more than they should. A lifetime of negative experiences added up has weakened me even further. I have to keep myself in a bubble (avoidance) just to try to handle the worst of the pain, and even that doesn't eliminate it entirely. I'm anxious even when I'm alone.

My dad spent most of my childhood "teasing" me to "give me a thicker skin" and needless to say, it didn't work. Here I am in my mid-forties now and I just feel even more worthless and paralyzed by anxiety. Incidentally, although I've always been socially anxious, I feel like my emotional growth ended around the time my social anxiety disorder began (11-13 years).

I don't expect to change minds/opinions with this...my repeated experience is that I'm not persuasive in the least. :/ Just felt I had to put it out there. Maybe it's just me who's so broken, I admit I haven't come across anyone else like me.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 01:58 PM
drifting in mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Tauri View Post
An educator
Also musician or comedian if I had the talent for them.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 02:59 PM
SAS Member

Hm.

I'm not sure I'd enjoy any profession honestly. It's a waste of life.

Mucus is a living thing you know
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-14-2020, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

These are great answers. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 02:00 PM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
I always fancied myself as a popstar.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 03:13 PM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Scared
I've been told by teachers all throughout school that I write very well. This included a teacher I had for Journalism and another that I had for a Debate class. I think the type of people that tend to go into professions like Journalism and Politics tend to be people that are quite extroverted and/or with a strong personality, however. A far cry from someone with SA.

After reading the speeches I wrote, my Debate teacher had told me I would make a great debater if he could get me to talk more. Unfortunately, I never even made it to more advanced rounds during tournaments like the rest of my classmates (Where we would start having multiple judges listen to our speech, instead of just one), because my anxiety kept causing me to score too lowly.

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 03:35 PM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Coroner, or maybe psychologist.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 04:01 PM
Failure's Art

My major in college was international business. I chose that as my major because I have always been intrigued by other countries and cultures but also wanted to choose something practical so I could actually get a job one I graduated. I work for an MNC and hate the company I work for but I find a lot of what I do extremely interesting. I love the fact I can talk to people from like 5 or 6 different countries in a given day. I love asking them how the weather is on their side of the globe, I never get tired of things like that. And I love learning about and embracing other people's cultural differences. But the social interactions required can be very difficult and I'm basically stuck in my current position and can't get a promotion due to my SA. I'm not big on status seeking but feel like I do need another promotion to be able to lively comfortably.

So I'm sort of doing something I probably shouldn't have chosen. If I had known how difficult it would be I probably would have gone to school for computer science or something similar. I feel like the social component to a career like that would have been less demanding.

But, if I had to choose a dream career and didn't have SA I would probably have a hard time choosing between journalism or sound engineering / recording. I love reading, love good investigative journalism and love music so think one of those would have been an amazing career.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 07:43 PM
SAS Member

I studied Asian Languages and Asian philosophy/history at Uni (plus library science) but I wasn't able to progress very far in any field. If I was more stable and had less anxiety/apprehension about everything I could have done a whole range of things.

Maybe Museum Studies would have been nice - I really value preserving things for future generations to appreciate.

I've often thought I'd have liked to be anything from a foreign correspondent to a radio show producer, to an airline pilot. But somehow I don't think the idea of me flying an aeroplane is a very good idea.

Things might get a bit tricky when I'm manic.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 08:49 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 08:53 PM
Pesky Pessimist

Scriptwriter, or fiction writer or tv show creator. Although a writer generally is anti social friendly profession. Flight attendant might be another one if we have to pick from the poll.

For detectives, all of the ones in animes are rather introvert and anti-social.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page