What is your take on the "Doomer/Gloomer" Subculture? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:15 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Honestly? I think they are a bunch of morons, that spend far too much time on social media.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:37 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I don't know. I have been online for a long time and I have pretty much ran into that line of thinking that @funnynihilist has described pretty much everywhere. No matter where the people are from. The American version of it might be more objectionable to you but there's a flavor of it for every part of the world and it all pretty much sounds the same once you've tasted every conceivable flavor of it.
I don't think we generally buy into all that positive thinking stuff here. If someone started spouting all that crap at work or something here I think most people would just think they'd sent him over to LA for a seminar or something.

Your average Australian would probably look at each other and roll their eyes. Some would play along because they'd be afraid they'd lose their job and some would burst out laughing.

Then there'd be people like me dry retching in the bathroom.
post #23 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:41 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
Honestly? I think they are a bunch of morons, that spend far too much time on social media.
Bingo.
post #24 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Bingo.
If you want to hear more, be sure to support me on patreon. Our voices can only be heard, through viewers like you. If you pledge $5.00 a month, you will get to see my messages before anyone else, and there is a chance that I may respond to you. Be sure to like, subscribe, and recommend me to your friends.

Also, the end is nigh!

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #25 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:06 AM
bipolar

Quote:
If you want to hear more, be sure to support me on patreon. Our voices can only be heard, through viewers like you. If you pledge $5.00 a month, you will get to see my messages before anyone else, and there is a chance that I may respond to you. Be sure to like, subscribe, and recommend me to your friends.

Also, the end is nigh!
Come on mate - you forgot to mention I should click on the bell icon too so I'm notified when you post some new stuff.
post #26 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Come on mate - you forgot to mention I should click on the bell icon too so I'm notified when you post some new stuff.
Gah! I will make sure to remember that in my next message. Now pardon me, while I completely contradict the past message I had stated, in an attempt to appease your desire to feel oppressed by a group of people that you have had no real experience with nor have had a regular experience of being oppressed by. They are after your freedom after all! They are also trying to get me banned from twitter! Those evil *******s!

Edit:
Be sure to support me on patreon, or you will suffer horrible consequences!

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #27 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:16 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
.....Well it's a tough job but someone's gotta do it, morons are dedicated to making everyone else look good

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #28 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:52 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

It’s not a new thing, but the Internet can make it look like it is, or like it’s more common than it probably is. I can only relate to some parts of it, but I think most people can.

Most people don’t seem to have much hope for the future (in general) anymore, and it’s common to think “the world has gone mad” or “what happened to people?” which could be a reason for why so many people have depression or anxiety.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #29 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:10 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
No offence but I find it pretty boring - and predictable. Everyone goes through these phases don't they? We did too - we just didn't have the internet to talk about it endlessly with other people supposedly going through the same thing. I think everyone sort of sees the world as hopeless when they're young - at least some of the time.

Back then we didn't have the internet though - so we couldn't dwell on it endlessly with a whole pile of other people. And there wasn't any social media where we could show everyone how cool we apparently were because we hate everything. It's sort of annoying.
Absolutely 100%

It wasn't much fun back in the day when people were all alone, feeling like freaks and not imagining that others felt the same. Mental health issues were massively ignored, stigmatized and ridiculed by the masses.
What's going on today is nothing special or new apart from the memes,video's,moody pictures and forums for people to consume and reinforce their angst.

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

post #30 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:40 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:

Also, the end is nigh!
I get the feeling you've completely missed the point.

Quote:
I don't think we generally buy into all that positive thinking stuff here. If someone started spouting all that crap at work or something here I think most people would just think they'd sent him over to LA for a seminar or something.

Your average Australian would probably look at each other and roll their eyes. Some would play along because they'd be afraid they'd lose their job and some would burst out laughing.

Then there'd be people like me dry retching in the bathroom.
You do seem to be overly positive most of the time (hence criticising anyone complaining,) but I think it's because you've had different life experiences to a lot of posters here.

Most of the time it's not really true positivity but an idea that struggling without complaining is virtuous. I don't think that most people are genuinely 100% happy they just think that fitting in is more important and some people have less issues than others. They look down on people who do because they see it as low status.
post #31 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:04 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
the thing about games and gamedev lol. not really black pill but vystopia, climate change, apocalypse, etc. but i'm a bit older... general cynicism and hopelessness is pretty widespread since trump etc. so no wonder people can relate.
Yeah it made me lol too. I have a background in that area myself, though not into it now. Not programming either though (art,) although I did dabble very briefly in programming on/off.
post #32 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:08 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: Can complain in all languages
My Mood: Lonely
I can relate to some of that just not the part where it says not wanting to get better. I do want to get better I'm just not sure it's possible since I've tried which leads me to the suicidal part
post #33 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:06 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post

You do seem to be overly positive most of the time (hence criticising anyone complaining,) but I think it's because you've had different life experiences to a lot of posters here.

Most of the time it's not really true positivity but an idea that struggling without complaining is virtuous. I don't think that most people are genuinely 100% happy they just think that fitting in is more important and some people have less issues than others. They look down on people who do because they see it as low status.
How does being optimistic directly translate into criticising someone? Have you seen me criticising people that are complaining or upset on here very often?

My experiences have probably been quite different to a lot of people here, that's true - but I've also had a lot of bad times. I just don't particularly want to talk about it too much with a bunch of people on the internet. That might be partly a generational thing. But I think it's just the way I am - I tend to deal with things myself. Plus as you say - my experience has been different, so I have good reason to expect things to change for the better again as they usually have in the past.

I'm also quite often slightly manic - even on here. That might have something to do with it too.
post #34 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:03 AM

Quote:
I get the feeling you've completely missed the point.
I don't see the point, I really don't, thankfully, I don't. I think I see past the point.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #35 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:53 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
The thirst for a label.

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
post #36 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:05 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I guess I kind of get the invalidating replies. i feel the same way about Others.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #37 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:14 AM
SAS Member

Language: Anglais
Dear god. I love the illustrations.
post #38 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:48 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
I don't see the point, I really don't, thankfully, I don't. I think I see past the point.
I mean when I say you didn't get the point it's because you seemed to be claiming it was some group of people who might make a YT or instagram post begging for subscribers, when really it's just a bunch of people venting on sites like 4chan or for that matter this forum.
post #39 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I mean when I say you didn't get the point it's because you seemed to be claiming it was some group of people who might make a YT or instagram post begging for subscribers, when really it's just a bunch of people venting on sites like 4chan or for that matter this forum.
I think the e celebrities of today, push out a narrative that many people gobble up, in order to keep people coming back, these e celebs constantly push out fear, anger, and whatever it takes, to ensure they make some money from their viewers. As a result, a lot of people who are constantly bombarded with this absolute rubbish, are lead into a state of mind that is doomer/gloomer. It is like electric meth for the brain, nasty stuff, highly addictive, and leaves a person a hollow shell of their former self.

It is the reason why I said I think they are morons, they don't realize they are being manipulated and keep coming back for more. It is destroying their lives, but they can't get enough of it. Like moths to a bulb, they keep bopping their heads, but can't resist it, no matter how much it burns.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

post #40 of 64 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:36 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Quote:
I think the e celebrities of today, push out a narrative that many people gobble up, in order to keep people coming back, these e celebs constantly push out fear, anger, and whatever it takes, to ensure they make some money from their viewers. As a result, a lot of people who are constantly bombarded with this absolute rubbish, are lead into a state of mind that is doomer/gloomer. It is like electric meth for the brain, nasty stuff, highly addictive, and leaves a person a hollow shell of their former self.

It is the reason why I said I think they are morons, they don't realize they are being manipulated and keep coming back for more. It is destroying their lives, but they can't get enough of it. Like moths to a bulb, they keep bopping their heads, but can't resist it, no matter how much it burns.
This isn't coming from e-celebrities. E-celebrities tend to push simplistic woo/positive thinking superficial type stuff. They're not overly negative, because they're generally more privileged than the people who make these memes who the whole of society looks down on.

edit:

It originated on 4chan (well the 'Doomer' thing did, 'Gloomer' might be the reddit hipster upcycle):

Quote:
Gloomer refers to several Wojak characters spread on 4chan describing young adults between ages 22 and 27 who lead an antisocial and uninspired life. While the earliest variation of Gloomer depicted the character as a 27-year-old female, a male version of the character gained spread in April 2019.
Quote:
Doomer is a variation of the Wojak character that is typically characterized as an early 20's male who suffers from depression and has a bleak outlook on the world, in contrast to the 30 Year-Old Boomer. The character is often discussed on various 4chan boards in the context of mental health, drug addiction, economic strife and anti-semitism.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/gloomer

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/doomer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page