Social Anxiety Forum

Social Anxiety Forum (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f24/)
-   -   What is your take on the "Doomer/Gloomer" Subculture? (https://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f24/what-is-your-take-on-the-doomer-gloomer-subculture-2224473/)

Eternal Solitude 06-12-2019 09:03 PM

What is your take on the "Doomer/Gloomer" Subculture?

I might be a bit late to the party here, but there is this subculture (if you can call it that) that has been popping up in memes, reddit, youtube and other online forums as of late. What's strange about this group is that it encompasses redpillers, men, women, incels,neets, aspies, people with social anxiety, people with depression, etc... while all of these various groups have different idiosyncrasies you could say that clusters of these individual have converged and found common ground in a Venn diagram like fashion within this subculture.

As their name implies these people have a bleak outlook towards life in general.They have swallowed the nihilistic (non-hedonistic) black pill and await for society to collapse.

Most of these people are millennials that feel alienated within their age group but at the same time feel that older generations have lost touch with the modern world. Meanwhile younger generations seem infantilized and silly to them.

Here are some memes that convey much better what I am trying to say:

https://pics.me.me/%3Eavoidant-24-ye...t-40107999.png

https://i.redd.it/6xuaajkpkul21.jpg

https://melmagazine.com/wp-content/u...2.49.47-PM.png

Some vids:

TheForestWasDark 06-12-2019 09:06 PM

I relate except I gave up drinking. My dad is a boomer who plays guitar with his buddies while I sit at home and only go on nightwalks. Oh and I like the Smiths as-well.

ScorchedEarth 06-13-2019 10:47 AM

Damn, that's me, except the only substance I'm addicted to is sugar.

andy1984 06-13-2019 10:52 AM

can relate to 80%

blue2 06-13-2019 12:23 PM

11 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Solitude (Post 1093741043)

....It's like looking in a mirror 😮 when I had no job or gym membership, the job requires being outside in daytime, so I am trying.

Maslow 06-13-2019 12:37 PM

I think that's a pretty good representation of the white working class in America today. They have no hope. It's no wonder there's an opioid epidemic.

Then again, that's pretty much how I felt during my 20s, too. Of course, I had no hope for the future and never thought I'd reach the age of 30.

At least when I was a doomer, music was a lot better.

Persephone The Dread 06-13-2019 02:32 PM

Yes I started getting recommended videos of that stuff on YT a few months back. I think it was probably that they keep using The Smiths and other postpunk music.

Slavic people seem to relate a lot to this stuff:

Lowering the pitch is a bit of a half assed remix thing though.

I'm actually a bit too old for the main demographic though I have seen 'late 20s doomer' as well floating around.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...11/983/3f3.jpg

I don't think it really incorporates redpill seems more blackpill.

Persephone The Dread 06-13-2019 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maslow (Post 1093741555)
I think that's a pretty good representation of the white working class in America today. They have no hope. It's no wonder there's an opioid epidemic.

Then again, that's pretty much how I felt during my 20s, too. Of course, I had no hope for the future and never thought I'd reach the age of 30.

At least when I was a doomer, music was a lot better.

Yes someone I know from a Discord server OD'd on some benzos earlier today, had to go to hospital. They have an addiction but the doctor gave them some anyway apparently.... They made a joke at the hospital about the epidemic but apparently it didn't go over well.

In Canada too (I know the US likes to hand out that stuff like candy.)

But yes they are pain killers literally so definitely the class of drugs that would be abused in the current era.

funnynihilist 06-13-2019 02:47 PM

I like it. It's like a little glimmer of non-compliance that the millennial generation seemed to miss.
You'd have to be either a moron or extremely rich not to see that the future is not bright for the average person.

harrison 06-13-2019 03:55 PM

No offence but I find it pretty boring - and predictable. Everyone goes through these phases don't they? We did too - we just didn't have the internet to talk about it endlessly with other people supposedly going through the same thing. I think everyone sort of sees the world as hopeless when they're young - at least some of the time.

Back then we didn't have the internet though - so we couldn't dwell on it endlessly with a whole pile of other people. And there wasn't any social media where we could show everyone how cool we apparently were because we hate everything. It's sort of annoying.

Persephone The Dread 06-13-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funnynihilist (Post 1093741659)
I like it. It's like a little glimmer of non-compliance that the millennial generation seemed to miss.
You'd have to be either a moron or extremely rich not to see that the future is not bright for the average person.

I wasn't sure but the fact that it's pissing people off who don't get it, is probably significant in itself.

funnynihilist 06-13-2019 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread (Post 1093741783)
I wasn't sure but the fact that it's pissing people off who don't get it, is probably significant in itself.

It's a tiny bit of pushback, albeit a self destructive one sometimes, in these days of hivemind, phone staring, #blessed, zombie optimists.
I think it pisses people off because it isn't #think positive!

harrison 06-13-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funnynihilist (Post 1093741791)
It's a tiny bit of pushback, albeit a self destructive one sometimes, in these days of hivemind, phone staring, #blessed, zombie optimists.
I think it pisses people off because it isn't #think positive!

But isn't think positive just an American thing. We definitely don't have all that here - thank Christ. That would annoy the **** out of me.

funnynihilist 06-13-2019 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison (Post 1093741795)
But isn't think positive just an American thing. We definitely don't have all that here - thank Christ. That would annoy the **** out of me.

Yes, there is this idea sewn into American culture that everything will always work out for the best if you can just get your attitude right.
Meanwhile the average American is swimming in debt, taking loads of pharma, eats garbage, and hates their job. #blessed

But as a myopic American I assumed the whole world is kinda like that.

harrison 06-13-2019 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funnynihilist (Post 1093741797)
Yes, there is this idea sewn into American culture that everything will always work out for the best if you can just get your attitude right.
Meanwhile the average American is swimming in debt, taking loads of pharma, eats garbage, and hates their job. #blessed

But as a myopic American I assumed the whole world is kinda like that.

I think the rest of the world knows this about Americans - that they don't realise not everyone is like them. There's a whole different world out there waiting to be discovered. :) (no offence to you personally mate)

I think if I lived in that sort sort of culture I'd wake up and want to be violently ill pretty much straight away every morning. (again, no offence)

versikk 06-13-2019 09:44 PM

This is dumb as shxt

'doomer'? Oh so you never heard of depression, alienation, anomie?

Fxxking looool
Posted via Mobile Device

WillYouStopDave 06-13-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funnynihilist (Post 1093741659)

This

Don 06-13-2019 10:15 PM

I find it a bit strange (just the fact that memes have become hardwired into our way of communicating/coping), but I relate to a lot of it. I think subcultures like this sometimes end up romanticizing a depression and hopelessness when there's nothing romantic about it, and people wear titles like "doomer" like a passing fashion trend which is silly to me. But that doesn't mean there isn't any reality to it. Classifications like this just seem to naturally arrive--it's just way to define the temperament of a generation or particular sub-group. I imagine it can provide some solace/solidarity for people who feel isolated and hopeless. Don't see anything wrong with that aspect of the "doomer" subculture.

andy1984 06-13-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread (Post 1093741643)

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...11/983/3f3.jpg

I don't think it really incorporates redpill seems more blackpill.

the thing about games and gamedev lol. not really black pill but vystopia, climate change, apocalypse, etc. but i'm a bit older... general cynicism and hopelessness is pretty widespread since trump etc. so no wonder people can relate.

WillYouStopDave 06-13-2019 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funnynihilist (Post 1093741797)

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrison (Post 1093741811)
I think the rest of the world knows this about Americans - that they don't realise not everyone is like them. There's a whole different world out there waiting to be discovered. :)

I don't know. I have been online for a long time and I have pretty much ran into that line of thinking that @funnynihilist has described pretty much everywhere. No matter where the people are from. The American version of it might be more objectionable to you but there's a flavor of it for every part of the world and it all pretty much sounds the same once you've tasted every conceivable flavor of it.