What is your ethnicity? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 12:17 PM
SAS Member

Racially, probably some mix of North African (old brown), and/or Middle-Eastern (new brown).

So, yeah, some brown.

Mucus is a living thing you know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 12:47 PM
SAS Member

I don't want to say, at least not yeti.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 12:50 PM

Language: American English, some Spanish
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILOBRAVO View Post
Sounds like the Celts (Irish and Scots) seemed to get everywhere. Everyone seems descended from them lol.

If you're descended from them, then you probably swear a lot.
Why the hell would you think that now?

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 01:03 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Sounds like the Celts (Irish and Scots) seemed to get everywhere. Everyone seems descended from them lol.

I feel like that applies to most of the UK anyway lol. Saw this the other day:

Quote:
videos are aimed at the 16+ demographic. may include mild swearing. but also keep in mind that am from middlesbrough so our definitions of mild swearin might vary greatly
That being said my mum was always telling me not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:03 PM
bipolar

I just did a search of my surname -

....... is an ancient Norman name that arrived in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name comes from the Norman given name ...... This name is derived from the Germanic roots ..., meaning desire, and heard, meaning strong or hard.

That last part's a bit concerning.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:33 PM
Visceral

Don't even know where to begin with.
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:35 PM
Temporarily Banned

Language: French/English
Caucasian, Canadian, some Irish roots and Native American roots.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Failure's Art

Quote:
Ha yea well starvation has a way of making you decide the grass is greener somewhere else.

Quote:
I can confirm this to be completely accurate.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Discord all the way

I'm Black. {African American.}
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 09:37 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myosr View Post
Racially, probably some mix of North African (old brown), and/or Middle-Eastern (new brown).

So, yeah, some brown.
That's strange, I've never seen Egyptian or Morrocan people separate themselves from middle eastern Arabs as you did

anyways I'm Iranian so I guess brown.
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2020, 06:34 PM
aldehyde dehydrogenaser

Language: Luuvvvv
southeast asian.
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 04:18 AM
SAS Member

According to the latest Ancestry DnA update, 45% Anglo-Saxon, 32% Scots, 14% German, 4% Welsh, 3% Norwegian, 2% Irish. So in simpler terms, completely Germanic.

post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 06:10 AM
Your local potato farmer

south east asian and european

more issues than vogue
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:00 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangalLover View Post
That's strange, I've never seen Egyptian or Morrocan people separate themselves from middle eastern Arabs as you did

anyways I'm Iranian so I guess brown.
I think some people from Morroco / Algeria / Tunisia might get offended if called an Arab because they would consider themselves Berber (Amazigh is the term they prefer). Egyptian Christians too don't consider themselves Arabs either.

I think people from peninsular Arabia and North Africa look really similar anyway, and I think they've always looked very similar even before the Arab conquest. Even though the two groups can be distinguished genetically, the way people choose to identify is generally driven by ideology imo.

Also, in a parallel world where the Arab conquest didn't exist, I think Egypt (& North Africa maybe) would be considered 'Mediterranean' countries (mixed race, Hellenistic culture, Christian religion, ex-Roman provinces) and that would be the ethnicity. Even the Coptic language is only preserved in mostly Greek alphabet. Even without the Christian element, thatwould've eventually been the case imo.

---

I guess it's sort of controversial because there are like two narratives of history; one where the original inhabitants of these countries were displaced or 'out bread' or whatever (as in Native Americans, or - I hope I'm remembering this right - ethnically Turkish people not being native to modern Turkey), and one narrative where at one point the majority of the inhabitants converted to Islam for whatever reason without mass immigration or displacement.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. I think that's historically true. Even the military commander who invaded Spain was a Berber.

For the Copts, I think it's more complicated. I think the original invasion was relatively smooth and for a few hundred years the rulers really had no interest or motive to convert anyone. They paid taxes, they grew crops, the Arabs were pretty much indistinguishable from the Romans to the farmers.

I think at one point though, the taxes were raised, the farmers revolted, the revolts were put down, and I think it just made sense after that for people to slowly convert to the religion of the ruler to gain a social status boost. And then they intermixed with the immigrant peninsular Arabs and that eventually became the dominant culture and ethnic mix.

---

Anyway, long story short, I don't like the word Arab, because it's exclusionary, and in some circumstances "Arab culture" just means some version of conservative Islam. I donno, it just feels too Islamocentric to me (if that's a word). I guess it would be weird to refer to Americans as "Anglo saxons" or even "English people". I don't mind using it if it's obvious I mean 'Arabic-speaking people', but generally people don't realize what they mean and get blinded but whatever stereotypes they're thinking of. Why is bigotry against Middle Eastern looking people called Islamophobia? That's just preposterous to me honestly.

I don't like the term Middle-Eastern because it's Eurocentric, and generally very non-specific (no one really knows exactly which countries to include or exclude).

I don't like the term North African either :P , because I don't think this part of the world is really that connected to Africa actually. Also, a lot of the historical (Arab-African) connection was as toxic and one sided as the European one. I think countries like Somalia, Nigeria, Chad, etc are more African countries with Arab/Muslim influences. Sudan is the only country I can think of that I would consider both African and Arab, though I would also give that label to Southern parts of Egypt.

Though modern Egyptians have a lot more sub-saharan DNA than in ancient times. But they don't generally acknowledge that for some reason. They'd rather identify with peninsular Arabs or with ancient Egypt, because it means more to them culturally, or as a matter of prestige, than connecting to 'Africa' (*).

Also, Egypt isn't really that much a part of the North-African "club" in geopolitics. It's more like just Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria that tend to distance themselves from the rest of the 'Arab world'. Also, very few Amazigh people actually. So, not really that much pre-Islamic culture shared.

---

Not to sound weird or anything, but I think the only two terms I would consider accurate & useful are (the admittedly cumbersome) Arabophone and Islamicate.

People often speak of the "Golden age of Islam" or the "Arab Caliphates" and then spend 10 minutes explaining that it's not about religion or ethnicity but language and culture. So why not just use more descriptive terms, lol.

---

If it's not already apparent, this topic does interest me for some reason. Sorry for the long post, lol.

Also, this channel is really good for getting info about different ethnicities:

http://[email protected]://www.youtube.com/watc...hannel=Masaman

---

I also think the Iranian-Arab history is very interesting, and was a lot more two-sided than the Arab-Egyptian (which was very one sided). I actually think that a lot of 'Islamicate' culture was influenced by Persian culture. You could even argue that the ethnic tensions played a significant role in the end of the only truly Arab caliphate.

---

(*) Interesting side note: Egypt was ruled by many "ex-slaves" (they even had their own dynasty), but they tended to be Turkish / European. Only one I know of was black, and also a eunuch, which I always thought was a cool story for a movie.

post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 01:47 PM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
caucasian.

post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2020, 06:48 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
Dad's Side: Latino (Honduran) & Scottish
Mom's Side: Black American

I've been to various countries and have gotten various weird assumptions from people/locals about my nationality or ethnicity. This includes Middle Eastern (Gulf/Arabian peninsula), Ethiopian, Bangladeshi, Filipino, Ghanian, etc.

I'm not in touch with my dad's side from a cultural perspective. Nor are we close.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 02:53 AM
SAS Member

Language: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter View Post
I don't want to say, at least not yeti.
Nice

You're all kinds of extraordinary
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 09:37 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
@Myosr

Wow a lot of new information for me I always thought Egypt and Saudi Arabia are very close both in culture and people, looks like not that much.
and yeah iranian-arab relationship was definitely more two-sided (i bet a lot of people are confused here as they think in Iran people speak Arabic XD)
btw I really want to visit Egypt one day, sucks that I don't have u.s passport and they don't allow Iranians there. I went to some early Egyptian museum shows and they were really cool.

p.s: not to be rude, but when African Americans who have mostly Ghanian or Nigerian ancestry relate themselves to ancient Egypt really makes me cringe, that makes as much sense of me saying I'm proud of Indian history since we all are 'brown' lol
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 02:39 PM
SAS Member

@KangalLover

Right now Egypt & SA are sort of friends, but historically that's not always been the case.

As for Iran, I don't think most people are just neutral about it. The US + SA want it to be anti-Iran, but it doesn't really work, because there isn't any real modern conflict between the two countries, or even a historical feud. But I think that's the only reason the two countries don't have relations.

I guess there was an attempt at a connection through royal marriage at one point:

^ lol, those old narrators are so weird :'D

But the marriage didn't really work out + both countries had their coups / revolutions a few decades after anyway.

Hope you can visit someday, though I warn you it can be pretty chaotic, especially in Cairo.

---

I've seen the African American thing, yeah. It's interesting because I see it a lot in modern Egyptians too. I guess if you feel put-upon in your own life or country, you get some satisfaction knowing that you had 'great' ancestors once. Most cultures do that to an extent, even White people talking about Western civilization know at some level they are talking about a predominantly White thing. I think the whole idea of ancestor greatness is cancer though.

The reason I do like the country isn't so much that it was once great, but because it's got a diverse history (or more directly, it was invaded by pretty much everyone at one point or another, and beaten into new cultures time after time), and I think that's interesting, lol. I only tend to read about the transitional periods of chaos / weakness.

---

Anyway, anyway, ancient Egypt isn't like one thing. There are different dynasties and so on, and when you get near the end, the definition of what really counts as "Egyptian" gets really muddy, because most "invaders" sort of embraced the Egyptian government style anyway:

So, really near the end you get Libyan Dynasties and Nubian Dynasties, and then you get Persian Dynasties - though the Persians apparently integrated less with the local customs, which is probably one reason why Alexander the Great was seen as a savior. Also him and his successors all presented as pharaohs up until Cleopatra.

Anyway, the pharaohs from the Kingdom of Kush were most likely black Nubians, which is also a very interesting ethnic group, but let's just skip them for now

Also, it's interesting how ancient Egyptians themselves identified the different "groups" of people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Gates

post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-20-2020, 03:22 PM
anxiolytic

Language: 'Merican
I was born in the wrong country fam.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page