What is your ethnicity? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Failure's Art

What is your ethnicity?

I am Irish, English and Dutch. Mostly Irish and maybe 20% English and a little Dutch.

I know my Irish ancestors came to the US after the Civil War in the late 1800s and early twentieth century. No idea about the English or Dutch ancestors.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:12 PM
alien monk

My Mood: Devilish
I'm just andy. maybe plutonian.

I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples. ― Mother Teresa
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:22 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
Mostly German/French-Canadian. Supposedly some Scottish in there too, I think.

Edit, I've been told there's a trace of Iroquois (Six Nations/Haudenosaunee) but haven't seen any proof; and the presence of a presumably Anishinaabe (most likely Odawa) woman named Ouaouagoukoue as some guy's second wife was enough for my mother to apply for tribal membership even though it doesn't look like she was a blood ancestor. So even though a trace of such ancestry is likely with my French-Canadian roots, it doesn't count for much IMO.

EDIT: I'm white enough to glow in the dark.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:36 PM
📝📸🎬💾🎲⚾🚀⛰🍪💡

Language: None
My ethnicity is Californian. Where my ancestors lived is irrelevant to ethnicity since I don't follow their customs or religions (and the last 4 generations of them lived in California).

Play The Social Anxiety Game

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 05:39 PM
Villain

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Afaik UK (Scottish, Welsh, English,) Irish, Swedish and Russian. It's kind of hard to say because some moved a bunch and various states no longer exist. Like some moved from Sweden to Russia then at some point to West Prussia somewhere, then Danzig (now Gdańsk.) That's where my nan is from/born she became stateless after ww2. She was intending to go to Sweden but that didn't work out so she ended up in Germany for a while and then came to the UK eventually. I think she also lived secretly with some red army soldiers at some point. Her life was very crazy when she was younger but don't remember all the details.

One of my great grandparents was Welsh. She lived a really long time so I was actually alive when she died.

Not sure about my mum's dad's background and my grandma's (mum's mum) family are like a mixture of Irish and Scottish I think but you have to back 2 generations from there. So her grandparents. I think her mum was born in London though. I don't remember the exact ratio. It's also confusing because you have Irish people, Scottish people, Ulster Scots and Irish-Scots and whatever and penguins and cats and reptiles. The 7 races of Oblivion. They're all Irish Catholics though because of that. Some of my cousins and my aunts/uncles went to Catholic schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouTube comment
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 06:19 PM
SAS Member

You're probably actually asking about ancestry and not so much ethnicity, since people are answering based on nationalities. My ethnicity is Hispanic, but my ancestry is a big mix since I'm from the West. My mom did the ancestry test and it was about 74.2% Southern European with Spanish/Portuguese making up about 55% of that so I'd say that's the primary.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 06:48 PM
UnDeRrAtED

Language: SPanish and English fluently
caucasian-mexican

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence and than success is sure," Mark Twain

-------------------------------------------------------
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 07:02 PM
❤️ Administrator ❤️

I wrote this a few years ago, but I made some mistakes that made it look like I have too many great grandparents. Except for the first one, I meant “great great”

Since then, I found out that some of our relatives think my mum’s grandmother was part Aborigine, which I can’t find anything about.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 07:18 PM
bipolar

Caucasian.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-13-2020, 08:42 PM
Sas user

azn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

believe in urself
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:02 AM
Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqwsderf View Post
You're probably actually asking about ancestry and not so much ethnicity, since people are answering based on nationalities. My ethnicity is Hispanic, but my ancestry is a big mix since I'm from the West. My mom did the ancestry test and it was about 74.2% Southern European with Spanish/Portuguese making up about 55% of that so I'd say that's the primary.
I don't think race and ethnicity are synonymous:

Quote:
An ethnic group or ethnicity is a category of people who identify with each other on the basis of a belief of common descent.[1] Descent-based attributes such as a common language, ancestry, history, society, culture, nation, religion, race or social treatment within their residing area may define the ethnic group.[1][2][3] Ethnicity is sometimes used interchangeably with the term nation, particularly in cases of ethnic nationalism, and is separate from, but related to the concept of races.

Ethnicity is usually an inherited status based on the society in which one lives. Membership of an ethnic group tends to be defined by a shared cultural heritage, ancestry, origin myth, history, homeland, language or dialect, symbolic systems such as religion, mythology and ritual, cuisine, dressing style, art or physical appearance. Ethnic groups often continue to speak related languages and share a similar gene pool. By way of language shift, acculturation, adoption and religious conversion, it is sometimes possible for individuals or restricted groups to leave one ethnic group and become part of another.

Ethnic groups may be subdivided into subgroups or tribes, which over time may become separate ethnic groups themselves due to endogamy or physical isolation from the parent group. Conversely, formerly separate ethnicities can merge to form a pan-ethnicity and may eventually merge into one single ethnicity. Whether through division or amalgamation, the formation of a separate ethnic identity is referred to as ethnogenesis.
I expect the concept of ethnicity from a cultural viewpoint has also broken down a lot because of the internet and globalisation.

Quote:
Yet another man lost to irony poisoning, cynicism, hyper-self awareness and the inability to be sincere.

post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:59 AM

Language: American English, some Spanish
Nationality-wise I am American. Ancestral-wise, about half of my father's ancestors were primarily from England - some being early settlers since the 1700's. My mother's side is more recent with most if not all from Ireland. With that said, my ancestry is mainly English, Irish and maybe some Scottish (only verified on the Scottish from my mother's ancestry results, which apparently hadn't shown up on mine.)
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:13 AM
⚰️👻

My Mood: Dead
Vikings landed in the British Isles about 1000 years ago & pillaged & raped a bunch of peasants & savages, some of the demonic spawn produced lived, so here I am.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 05:45 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Sounds like the Celts (Irish and Scots) seemed to get everywhere. Everyone seems descended from them lol.

If you're descended from them, then you probably swear a lot.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear.
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 07:15 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I don't think race and ethnicity are synonymous:

I expect the concept of ethnicity from a cultural viewpoint has also broken down a lot because of the internet and globalisation.
Race and ethnicity aren't the same. I never mentioned race in my post. I mentioned my ethnicity and my ancestry.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 08:13 AM
Villain

Quote:
Race and ethnicity aren't the same. I never mentioned race in my post. I mentioned my ethnicity and my ancestry.
No it's just you mentioned nationality and that's usually included as part of it. I guess different people have different definitions.

Quote:

post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 08:23 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
No it's just you mentioned nationality and that's usually included as part of it. I guess different people have different definitions.
Oh this is one of those moments where nationalities are grouped into ethnicities. But ethnicities aren't nationalities. So people can be mexican, venezuelan, argentinian etc and that would make their ethnicity hispanic/latino.

While Europe I think has scandinavians, balkanic, the celtics...
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 08:30 AM
Villain

Quote:
Oh this is one of those moments where nationalities are grouped into ethnicities. But ethnicities aren't nationalities. So people can be mexican, venezuelan, argentinian etc and that would make their ethnicity hispanic/latino.

While Europe I think has scandinavians, balkanic, the celtics...
Oh I see. I feel that would get confusing with all the European subgroups and then there are multiple within nations as well. Also thinking about it on UK census forms they reduce it to white British and white other.

Quote:

post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 08:48 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Oh I see. I feel that would get confusing with all the European subgroups and then there are multiple within nations as well. Also thinking about it on UK census forms they reduce it to white British and white other.
It does get confusing. In the end it's just another way of trying to put people into groups. Asking for ancestry makes more sense.

"White" would be a race. I think the US census had the race as white and the examples were (Irish, German, English, Italian, Lebanese, Egyptian, etc)

Didn't quite make sense to me.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 09:24 AM
SAS Member

Continent: Asia
Nationality: Indian
Ethnicity: Dravidian
Language: Tamil
Caste: I don't think it is necessary...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page