What interesting/ unusual hobbies do you have? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired

What interesting/ unusual hobbies do you have?

I was recently talking to someone who collects dolls of their favorite childhood show and I thought it was pretty cool, since I collected them as well when I was a child, but didn't knew any adults that collect them. This got me thinking a bit, because I'm currently searching for a new hobby to get out more and/or connect with more people.

Is there something unusual you collect? Some unique sport you are doing?

Ciaossu!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:19 PM
bipolar

I don't do sport - getting too old and I'd probably put a hip out.

I collect rare/old books - when I'm in the mood and if I can afford it. Sometimes I sell them. You don't meet many people that way though - most of it's done online nowadays.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Spectacular Member

Collecting/building Lego, though I don't know if that is unusual or not.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:36 AM
Packing My Bags

Random multi-hour long strolls around the neighborhood at night.

Random hour long drives around town at night. (no longer do this)

Hiking

Collecting solar powered lightning ornaments and decorations. They give a very relaxing and arousing ambiance and feeling for me in the night time. Especially in the summer nights.

Use to collect wine corks. But have seen threw away my collection I piled up for many years. It was just too much.

Growing pot plants. (as in plants growing on pots, although I've been entertaining the idea of that other meaning)

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:53 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
Random multi-hour long strolls around the neighborhood at night.

Random hour long drives around town at night. (no longer do this)

Hiking

Collecting solar powered lightning ornaments and decorations. They give a very relaxing and arousing ambiance and feeling for me in the night time. Especially in the summer nights.

Use to collect wine corks. But have seen threw away my collection I piled up for many years. It was just too much.

Growing pot plants. (as in plants growing on pots, although I've been entertaining the idea of that other meaning)
Is there any money in that? I know a guy who collects old bottles - they can be very valuable.

My wife does the pot plant thing too - I have to go with her to the nursery every now and then (did it the other day) to get more pot plants and potting mix. I basically just walk around behind her with a big trolley.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:46 AM
Trailer Trash Tranny

My Mood: Brooding
Trying to design a better form of psychotherapy. Just for my own amusement, because I have no qualifications whatsoever.

The best things in life are free, but so are the worst things. And you need money to avoid those.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:14 AM
Packing My Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Is there any money in that? I know a guy who collects old bottles - they can be very valuable.

My wife does the pot plant thing too - I have to go with her to the nursery every now and then (did it the other day) to get more pot plants and potting mix. I basically just walk around behind her with a big trolley.

no. I think collecting wine corks is somewhat of a common thing for many avid wine drinkers. Although I am not really one. I guess collecting bottles can be interesting too. Met someone who collects those off brand beer bottles, or one that were in limited release.

I don't have that much plants, about a dozen of the pot ones since one of the previous places I lived, someone left a plant holder rack. So now it's just sitting outside just next to the front door entrance with my plants on it as some welcoming decorative thing. Something like this (random pic of it identical)

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:39 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
no. I think collecting wine corks is somewhat of a common thing for many avid wine drinkers. Although I am not really one. I guess collecting bottles can be interesting too. Met someone who collects those off brand beer bottles, or one that were in limited release.

I don't have that much plants, about a dozen of the pot ones since one of the previous places I lived, someone left a plant holder rack. So now it's just sitting outside just next to the front door entrance with my plants on it as some welcoming decorative thing. Something like this (random pic of it identical)

I used to drink a lot of wine ages ago - had to stop because it was intefering with my Xanax habit at the time.

Nice-looking plants. My wife goes through phases - every now and then she'll want to get more plants and she'll dig a little hole in the garden to put one in. Usually she gets a gardener for all that sort of thing. About the only thing I like doing is watering them occasionally - I'm very lazy.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:25 AM
Yoink

I collect concert ticket stubs, you can usually find us in the dance section, which is the last row on the aisle and no one can tell us to sit down, shut up or stop smoking weed

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:25 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I like playing around with older computers, which is odd because my mind is always on the future and innovation. There is just something amazing about older machines, and getting them to do things they were never intended to do, to squeeze as much out of them as possible that really fascinates me.

Above is my Amiga 1200, which I purchased new in the late 90s and still use to this day. I also have an Apple IIc, and a few older macs I haven't touched in years, plus I love to emulate older systems. This hobby is becoming more mainstream now, but I think most people are just doing it for nostalgia and strangely enough status among one another. I like to try to push these systems to their limits and try to use them for my modern computing needs. A couple of years ago, I actually used that Amiga, as my sole computer for a month - including browsing the web with it, and it was a blast.

That is really the only rare hobby I can think of, all of my other hobbies have a large following.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 AM
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I don't really have any hobbies though I do a couple of the things mentioned in this thread and would not say they are unusual at all (like collecting concert tickets.) I also collect train tickets.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:50 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
I like playing around with older computers, which is odd because my mind is always on the future and innovation. There is just something amazing about older machines, and getting them to do things they were never intended to do, to squeeze as much out of them as possible that really fascinates me.

Above is my Amiga 1200, which I purchased new in the late 90s and still use to this day. I also have an Apple IIc, and a few older macs I haven't touched in years, plus I love to emulate older systems. This hobby is becoming more mainstream now, but I think most people are just doing it for nostalgia and strangely enough status among one another. I like to try to push these systems to their limits and try to use them for my modern computing needs. A couple of years ago, I actually used that Amiga, as my sole computer for a month - including browsing the web with it, and it was a blast.

That is really the only rare hobby I can think of, all of my other hobbies have a large following.
I love those old computers. There's an old Apple one I see sometimes in old TV shows that I really like and wouldn't mind getting one - maybe it's the other one you mentioned.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:18 PM
Moron

I like to make meat helmets.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:45 PM
SAS Member

Language: English
growing the other 'Pot' plants... good one!
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 11:16 AM
Poorly Educated

I started metal detecting a few years ago but I haven't kept up with it lately. It can get extremely frustrating digging up junk all the time. I have a pretty decent detector that can discriminate a lot of the junk from relics but its not completely fool proof so the only way to find out is to dig it up.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:08 PM
SAS Member

Nothing unusual with pottery and collecting old coins.
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:24 AM
SAS Member

unusual? reading.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:55 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
I really enjoy organic gardening. I actually have big plans to grow most of my own food this season.

I started a hugelkultur last year that should be well seasoned by now. I'm excited to use it.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:57 PM
monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyguy View Post
I started metal detecting a few years ago but I haven't kept up with it lately. It can get extremely frustrating digging up junk all the time. I have a pretty decent detector that can discriminate a lot of the junk from relics but its not completely fool proof so the only way to find out is to dig it up.
what good stuff have you found?

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:12 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelinquishedHell View Post
I really enjoy organic gardening. I actually have big plans to grow most of my own food this season.

I started a hugelkultur last year that should be well seasoned by now. I'm excited to use it.
That sounds really cool!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page