What interesting/ unusual hobbies do you have? - Social Anxiety Forum
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
Sumabala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Age: 21
Posts: 45
My Mood: Tired

What interesting/ unusual hobbies do you have?


I was recently talking to someone who collects dolls of their favorite childhood show and I thought it was pretty cool, since I collected them as well when I was a child, but didn't knew any adults that collect them. This got me thinking a bit, because I'm currently searching for a new hobby to get out more and/or connect with more people.


Is there something unusual you collect? Some unique sport you are doing?

Ciaossu!
Sumabala is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:19 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14,436
I don't do sport - getting too old and I'd probably put a hip out.

I collect rare/old books - when I'm in the mood and if I can afford it. Sometimes I sell them. You don't meet many people that way though - most of it's done online nowadays.
harrison is online now  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Spectacular Member
 
Noca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ontario
Gender: Male
Age: 33
Posts: 20,999
Collecting/building Lego, though I don't know if that is unusual or not.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
Noca is offline  
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:36 AM
Packing My Bags
 
Blue Dino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,289
Random multi-hour long strolls around the neighborhood at night.

Random hour long drives around town at night. (no longer do this)

Hiking

Collecting solar powered lightning ornaments and decorations. They give a very relaxing and arousing ambiance and feeling for me in the night time. Especially in the summer nights.

Use to collect wine corks. But have seen threw away my collection I piled up for many years. It was just too much.

Growing pot plants. (as in plants growing on pots, although I've been entertaining the idea of that other meaning)

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.
Blue Dino is offline  
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 12:53 AM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
Random multi-hour long strolls around the neighborhood at night.

Random hour long drives around town at night. (no longer do this)

Hiking

Collecting solar powered lightning ornaments and decorations. They give a very relaxing and arousing ambiance and feeling for me in the night time. Especially in the summer nights.

Use to collect wine corks. But have seen threw away my collection I piled up for many years. It was just too much.

Growing pot plants. (as in plants growing on pots, although I've been entertaining the idea of that other meaning)
Is there any money in that? I know a guy who collects old bottles - they can be very valuable.

My wife does the pot plant thing too - I have to go with her to the nursery every now and then (did it the other day) to get more pot plants and potting mix. I basically just walk around behind her with a big trolley.
harrison is online now  
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:46 AM
Trailer Trash Tranny
 
truant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cislandia
Gender: Transgender
Age: 47
Posts: 9,229
My Mood: Brooding
Trying to design a better form of psychotherapy. Just for my own amusement, because I have no qualifications whatsoever.

The best things in life are free, but so are the worst things. And you need money to avoid those.
truant is offline  
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:14 AM
Packing My Bags
 
Blue Dino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Is there any money in that? I know a guy who collects old bottles - they can be very valuable.

My wife does the pot plant thing too - I have to go with her to the nursery every now and then (did it the other day) to get more pot plants and potting mix. I basically just walk around behind her with a big trolley.

no. I think collecting wine corks is somewhat of a common thing for many avid wine drinkers. Although I am not really one. I guess collecting bottles can be interesting too. Met someone who collects those off brand beer bottles, or one that were in limited release.

I don't have that much plants, about a dozen of the pot ones since one of the previous places I lived, someone left a plant holder rack. So now it's just sitting outside just next to the front door entrance with my plants on it as some welcoming decorative thing. Something like this (random pic of it identical)


Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.

If I fail to adapt to the fault of others, it is my fault.
Blue Dino is offline  
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:39 AM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
no. I think collecting wine corks is somewhat of a common thing for many avid wine drinkers. Although I am not really one. I guess collecting bottles can be interesting too. Met someone who collects those off brand beer bottles, or one that were in limited release.

I don't have that much plants, about a dozen of the pot ones since one of the previous places I lived, someone left a plant holder rack. So now it's just sitting outside just next to the front door entrance with my plants on it as some welcoming decorative thing. Something like this (random pic of it identical)

I used to drink a lot of wine ages ago - had to stop because it was intefering with my Xanax habit at the time.

Nice-looking plants. My wife goes through phases - every now and then she'll want to get more plants and she'll dig a little hole in the garden to put one in. Usually she gets a gardener for all that sort of thing. About the only thing I like doing is watering them occasionally - I'm very lazy.
harrison is online now  
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 07:25 AM
Yoink
 
sabbath9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,606
I collect concert ticket stubs, you can usually find us in the dance section, which is the last row on the aisle and no one can tell us to sit down, shut up or stop smoking weed

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
sabbath9 is offline  
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:25 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴
 
zonebox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida, Oosa
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,727
My Mood: Inspired
I like playing around with older computers, which is odd because my mind is always on the future and innovation. There is just something amazing about older machines, and getting them to do things they were never intended to do, to squeeze as much out of them as possible that really fascinates me.



Above is my Amiga 1200, which I purchased new in the late 90s and still use to this day. I also have an Apple IIc, and a few older macs I haven't touched in years, plus I love to emulate older systems. This hobby is becoming more mainstream now, but I think most people are just doing it for nostalgia and strangely enough status among one another. I like to try to push these systems to their limits and try to use them for my modern computing needs. A couple of years ago, I actually used that Amiga, as my sole computer for a month - including browsing the web with it, and it was a blast.

That is really the only rare hobby I can think of, all of my other hobbies have a large following.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
zonebox is offline  
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 10:39 AM
Homicidal Furby 🔪
 
Persephone The Dread's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Posts: 37,408
I don't really have any hobbies though I do a couple of the things mentioned in this thread and would not say they are unusual at all (like collecting concert tickets.) I also collect train tickets.

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

Persephone The Dread is offline  
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 01:50 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 14,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
I like playing around with older computers, which is odd because my mind is always on the future and innovation. There is just something amazing about older machines, and getting them to do things they were never intended to do, to squeeze as much out of them as possible that really fascinates me.



Above is my Amiga 1200, which I purchased new in the late 90s and still use to this day. I also have an Apple IIc, and a few older macs I haven't touched in years, plus I love to emulate older systems. This hobby is becoming more mainstream now, but I think most people are just doing it for nostalgia and strangely enough status among one another. I like to try to push these systems to their limits and try to use them for my modern computing needs. A couple of years ago, I actually used that Amiga, as my sole computer for a month - including browsing the web with it, and it was a blast.

That is really the only rare hobby I can think of, all of my other hobbies have a large following.
I love those old computers. There's an old Apple one I see sometimes in old TV shows that I really like and wouldn't mind getting one - maybe it's the other one you mentioned.
harrison is online now  
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 08:18 PM
Moron
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Age: 49
Posts: 4,614
I like to make meat helmets.
Yer Blues is offline  
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 05:45 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Houston
Language: English
Gender: Male
Age: 81
Posts: 1
growing the other 'Pot' plants... good one!
henrydumay is offline  
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 11:16 AM
Poorly Educated
 
Lonelyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Posts: 4,897
I started metal detecting a few years ago but I haven't kept up with it lately. It can get extremely frustrating digging up junk all the time. I have a pretty decent detector that can discriminate a lot of the junk from relics but its not completely fool proof so the only way to find out is to dig it up.
Lonelyguy is offline  
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 12:08 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 15
Nothing unusual with pottery and collecting old coins.
reno505 is offline  
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 06:24 AM
SAS Member
 
love is like a dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,061
unusual? reading.
love is like a dream is offline  
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:55 PM
SAS Member
 
RelinquishedHell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Gender: Other
Age: 29
Posts: 16,319
My Mood: Mellow
I really enjoy organic gardening. I actually have big plans to grow most of my own food this season.

I started a hugelkultur last year that should be well seasoned by now. I'm excited to use it.
RelinquishedHell is offline  
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 12:57 PM
monk
 
andy1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 35
Posts: 6,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonelyguy View Post
I started metal detecting a few years ago but I haven't kept up with it lately. It can get extremely frustrating digging up junk all the time. I have a pretty decent detector that can discriminate a lot of the junk from relics but its not completely fool proof so the only way to find out is to dig it up.
what good stuff have you found?

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
andy1984 is online now  
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 01:12 PM
SAS Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Southern California
Gender: Male
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelinquishedHell View Post
I really enjoy organic gardening. I actually have big plans to grow most of my own food this season.

I started a hugelkultur last year that should be well seasoned by now. I'm excited to use it.
That sounds really cool!
Great Expectations is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome