What hobby would you like to take up, but don't? - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 11:45 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post
I've always kind of wanted to play a musical instrument, but never really have. My grandpa gave me a guitar once, and I never tried to play. If I lived alone I probably would. I just don't like making noise with people around.

The other hobby I'd like to try would be surfing. I'd love to live near the beach and be able to learn, I love the ocean.
Wish I could play the guitar or piano, but knowing how hard it would be puts me off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 07:52 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I guess the good thing about it is if you spring for the one you really want, it should last many years and you don't really have to buy anything else unless you're one of those people who always wants to do more (and then it gets REALLY expensive). The $3,000 scopes are pretty nice for an amateur. But you also probably don't want to spend that kind of money right off the bat if you haven't really delved too deeply into the hobby. You might change your mind about what you want so it would probably be better to find someone who is already into it and will let you tag along and use their equipment.
It makes a lot of sense to get a cheaper one when you're starting off. I've looked at telescopes that were under $1000 and they seemed fine, but I liked the image quality of the more expensive ones which made me want to start off with them instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
I think it's mostly just motivation to commit and continue to trial and error. Eventually you will find a style you like and get good at it. And getting good pictures is also a bit subjective as well in a sense.
I think I’m someone who needs a teacher/photography lessons because I’m just bad at taking pictures.
post #43 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-13-2020, 08:08 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbre View Post
It makes a lot of sense to get a cheaper one when you're starting off. I've looked at telescopes that were under $1000 and they seemed fine, but I liked the image quality of the more expensive ones which made me want to start off with them instead.
Well, I'll say this much. My first (and only) telescope so far was a 4.5 inch Newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount. Much like this...

I would not recommend that type of telescope or mount. The mount was endlessly frustrating in so many ways. The length of the tube was very annoying. The nicer Schmidt–Cassegrain telescopes are what I would choose if I was buying one right now. They are quite expensive but the compact size of the telescope itself is worth it. After fighting with the long tube of the Newtonian I had for years I longed for something more compact. The bigger it is the more of a pain in the butt it's gonna be no matter how you slice it. I found that I sometimes took long breaks and the thing was hard to store. It was annoying to transport as well. At the time, I would have rather had a Dobsonian mount simply because they're very easy to use if you know what you want to see and where it is.

Also, for the price, an inexpensive pair of wide field (large objective) binoculars are not a bad idea for a beginner. In a dark location you can see quite a bit with them. I think I might have been able to see Jupiter's moons with my cheap 10x50s. They're definitely far more portable even if you wanted to use a tripod with them. I definitely remember being able to see the Orion Nebula easily with them.

/WYSD
post #44 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 03:14 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Well, I'll say this much. My first (and only) telescope so far was a 4.5 inch Newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount. Much like this...

I would not recommend that type of telescope or mount. The mount was endlessly frustrating in so many ways. The length of the tube was very annoying. The nicer Schmidt–Cassegrain telescopes are what I would choose if I was buying one right now. They are quite expensive but the compact size of the telescope itself is worth it. After fighting with the long tube of the Newtonian I had for years I longed for something more compact. The bigger it is the more of a pain in the butt it's gonna be no matter how you slice it. I found that I sometimes took long breaks and the thing was hard to store. It was annoying to transport as well. At the time, I would have rather had a Dobsonian mount simply because they're very easy to use if you know what you want to see and where it is.

Also, for the price, an inexpensive pair of wide field (large objective) binoculars are not a bad idea for a beginner. In a dark location you can see quite a bit with them. I think I might have been able to see Jupiter's moons with my cheap 10x50s. They're definitely far more portable even if you wanted to use a tripod with them. I definitely remember being able to see the Orion Nebula easily with them.
Thanks, if I seriously consider getting a telescope again I'll keep what you said here in mind. I barely know anything about types of telescopes or brands, I only remember years ago Celestron was one of the big brands and their products were considered good quality.
post #45 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 05:24 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I really want to go sailing, but it is out of my budget. I did purchase a very inexpensive trailer sailor a while back, but just never had the finances to fix it up, plus it requires a hefty vehicle to tow it around. I wanted to just muck about the coasts of Florida for a few days at a time and anchoring out at nights while sipping away at rum ,however, that is not likely to happen anytime soon.

It would be a great hobby though, just slowly drifting the water being gently pushed by the wind, staring out at the horizon while in deep thought about something or another. Eventually, getting to my destination, dropping anchor, close to shore, taking out a small computer alongside some rum mixed with cola and just sipping the night away. Alternatively, having a campfire out on one of the many sand islands here on the coast.

I do like watching videos on youtube, of people enjoying their time sailing. This guy right here makes some top quality ones, here is one of his latest videos:

Perhaps one day, just not anytime soon I'm afraid.. It is just too expensive of a hobby, even if I had my boat fixed I would need to dish out over $200 a month to a marina. Oh well, there are plenty of other hobbies out there, and other things to do in the meantime. Perhaps I'll just rent a sailboat for a few days.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-14-2020, 11:18 PM
SAS Member

I dream of going hiking/camping in some beautiful, boreal forest, do some exercise, get some fresh air and forget about everything for a while.

Sadly I was born in the wrong part of the world for that.
post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 10:50 AM
Gangsta Crayon

Travelling and basketball.

I can't travel cause of course the pandemic and these protests sadly. Also, I need a hoop for basketball. I had fun playing basketball when I was a kid.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 02:56 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
Forgot an important one - I'd like to learn French and become literate in traditional Chinese. I already understand the foundations of both languages but it's actually building up vocabulary so I can use them, at least to a functional level.

It's been fairly absurd that I reside in Quebec without being bilingual, and have a language barrier with my own parents.
post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 03:36 PM
I am average!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehuti88 View Post
Learning another language. Too embarrassed to sound out the words aloud even if I'm alone, and discouraged to get them wrong. It seems to be best if you have a native speaker to help you out and I'm too shy for that.

Various types of art...I've actually been trying digital art for a couple of years now but even though I've improved, nobody really notices it on any of the sites I post it, so that's pretty discouraging, too. I honestly thought if I got better at it, I'd be noticed. But that hasn't happened.

I tried to teach myself a bit of CSS since that seems to be overtaking regular HTML (the basics of which I also taught myself), but despite copying the code faithfully, I failed miserably at everything I tried. I guess my websites in the future will all look like suck. Doesn't matter so much, since nobody will look at them, I guess.
HTML and CSS do different things. HTML sets up the structure of the webpage, while CSS enchants it and styles it. You need both. Technically you don't need CSS, but it looks nicer.

If your text, whatever you write on this web-page was html, CSS would be the colour of the font, the size, and so on.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 03:39 PM
I am average!

Too many things. I have been watching lots of random youtube videos lately and because of that I wanna become a champion at chess, wanna learn lockpicking, start playing PC games, etc.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 07:57 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Indeed View Post
wanna learn lockpicking

Lockpicking lawyer? I always get a kick out of watching him destroy the most expensive locks in a short time and little to no efforts lol.

What is a man?
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:35 AM
Permanently Banned

Learning to fly planes
Surfing
Knitting
how to use DAW
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:58 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
Vigilantism or maybe swimming.
Responses like this are why I'm happy to visit the forums occasionally.

I've chickened out on hundreds of hobbies. Glassmaking, photography, drawing, whitewater kayaking, fishing, DJing, surfing, woodwork etc etc. I'm kind of an empty vessel.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 09:14 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Too many things. I have been watching lots of random youtube videos lately and because of that I wanna become a champion at chess, wanna learn lockpicking, start playing PC games, etc.
If you want to get better at chess John Bartholomew is an IM who has a lot of good lessons on YouTube. After watching his videos I went from a 1200 rating to 1750 in a couple of months. It's possible I could have gotten my rating to 2000+ if I had kept playing and watching his lessons.
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 10:16 AM
I am average!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrub-Zero View Post
Lockpicking lawyer? I always get a kick out of watching him destroy the most expensive locks in a short time and little to no efforts lol.

Yea, I have been watching his videos, very randomly. Makes me want to pick up one of those see through locks, and see if I can manage. Unless you make a job out of it (or you don't mind being a criminal) it seems like a very useless hobby, though cool one. I wonder if picking a door is very different to picking a padlock, or if he can pick a door just as quickly as he can pick a padlock.

Maybe you can join picking competitions.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 09:05 PM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
Quote:
Yea, I have been watching his videos, very randomly. Makes me want to pick up one of those see through locks, and see if I can manage. Unless you make a job out of it (or you don't mind being a criminal) it seems like a very useless hobby, though cool one. I wonder if picking a door is very different to picking a padlock, or if he can pick a door just as quickly as he can pick a padlock.

Maybe you can join picking competitions.
Yes it looks interesting and a fun thing to try out, and can be useful if you even lock yourself out of your own house haha. But i guess movie kind of ruined our minds with that because they always make thieves look so cool. They can pick locks and get in places silently, or disable alarms but the reality is, most thieves don't even pick your lock to get in your house lol. They bash the door or break a window etc, it's much simpler.

Apparently most thefts are committed by neighbors and kids living around you, not some cool dude in a van with the latest set of gadgets lol.

Anyway it seems like most locks are an illusion because we are not very protected by them if they are that easy to bypass. I dont even trust any lock to buy for my bike because they are all easy to get through. Makes me sad honestly lol.

What is a man?
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 02:50 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Sad
  • Video games
  • Games
  • Technology
  • Music
  • Socializing
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 09:21 AM
Birthday Cake Cutie

Any kind of musical instrument or talent would be nice, as long as I was involved in music in some way I would be content. If I could sing, that would be nice.

Skateboarding, was abit hard growing up in the cold midwest and not in cali. always seemed really cool.
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 01:24 PM
SAS Member

I have always wanted to get into Urban Exploration but I don't want to do it by myself and nobody I know would be interested.

"Urban exploration is the act of entering, experiencing and photographing abandoned buildings or areas."

Some of the photos that urban explorers take are amazing .

This is an abandoned amusement park in Japan.

[/IMG]

This is an abandoned asylum in Italy. Creepy.

[/IMG]

Just need to find somebody in the U.K who is interested in exploring with me.

"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day. That is real freedom. The alternative is unconsciousness, the default setting, the "rat race" - the constant gnawing sense of having had and lost some infinite thing." (David Foster Wallace)
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-24-2020, 02:08 PM
England

I want to start motocross again its been in the back of my head a while

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page