Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What Do You Think Would Make SAS Better?

98K views 949 replies 217 participants last post by  SunshineRays 
#1 ·
After the recent threads about SAS "dying", being too negative or not being supportive enough, I thought it might be time to have a thread where people can say what they think would help make it better.

If everyone did what they could to help and could give some ideas and feedback, it could make SAS the place they would like it to be.

Not all of these have to be answered, and it's okay not to answer any of them. The answers can be as long as you want:

* What do you think would make SAS better?

* What type of threads would you like to see more of?

* What type of threads would you like to see less of?

* What would you change about SAS?

* What do you like least about SAS?

* Which new features would you like to see?

* Do you feel comfortable posting on SAS? If not, why?

* Do you think removing post count either completely or from certain subforums (Just For Fun is an example) would help to make a difference?

* Other thoughts:

--

These are the changes that have been made so far since this thread was created:

* Maximum avatar size increased to 180 x 180 - March 28, 2017.

See less See more
#3 ·

Better moderation with more clear and consistently enforced rules about what can and cannot be posted.
Give priority to topics in subforums geared towards support in the recent discussions box.
Featured discussions, chosen by mods, designed to promote open and reasonable discussion on current events.

Fun threads where the purpose is to laugh. Laughter is the best medicine.

The endless, pointless, basically spam threads about American ****ing politics.

That posts broadly insulting certain groups of people are not punished in the same way others would that insulted different groups of people.

Image board. Chat that works. Subforum for dickpics.

Ignoring the obvious problems with posting in public when suffering anxiety, yes I feel comfortable but I can see why other people wouldn't when you read through some of the things that are posted.

* Do you think removing post count either completely or from certain subforums (Just For Fun is an example) would help to make a difference?

Post count helps spot trolls. Obviously not all trolls have under 10 posts but it's very simple to just ignore someone shouting about the jew apocalypse when they have 2 posts and created their account 10 minutes ago.

* Other thoughts:

More cute anime girls. Free cookies. Cuddles.

#12 ·
I can understand why you don't like the American political threads but it has very much affected many people's lives. It has definitely caused me a great amount of stress which directly affects my SA. I think that is what you are seeing on here. I don't want to go into all of it but it has greatly changed my environment. I need a place to talk about this so I would say stay out of the political threads.

#4 ·

I personally would really, really like to see SAS groups improved upon. So many groups are just dead. And it's really hard to figure out certain things, like there's no "easy" way to notify group members of anything, there's no subforum related to SAS groups at all, no obvious dashboard that gives you group notifications or anything, and so therefore I'm not surprised majority of groups are completely inactive. Some groups seem they'd be very very interesting but then the last post is from like, 2013. It's hard to keep groups particularly active. I forget they exist too sometimes.

Hehehehehehe just laughing at how mad some people would be at that

Nah I don't think that's necessary. It's fine :p

* Other thoughts:

I'd really like to curse more

That's all from me. I really have no problems with SAS.

#5 ·
Hmm idk promoting the egroups would be nice I guess.

#7 ·
After the recent threads about SAS "dying", being too negative or not being supportive enough, I thought it might be time to have a thread where people can say what they think would help make it better.

If everyone did what they could to help and could give some ideas and feedback, it could make SAS the place they would like it to be.

Not all of these have to be answered, and it's okay not to answer any of them. The answers can be as long as you want:

Problem threads or actual discussion regarding SA. Less politics, less games and less random stuff, but more threads actually related to the topic of the forum.

Politics, games. Possibly complain threads with the "I am horrible, and I can't do anything about it but complain", although I understand that those are part of coping, and therefore I don't think they are completely bad. What I have a problem with is one person making multiple threads on the same topic, say "I'm so ugly", sometimes even weekly. Sure, venting and discussing events/thoughts is good, but keep it in one thread for crying out loud.

Generally more visibility to topics regarding SA.

Game threads - sure, they seem fun at first, but eventually they just seem to get spammy and fill the recent discussions section, so you have a harder time seeing threads where actual discussion can happen.

Idk if it's possible, I couldn't find the option, but "blocking" a mass of threads or making more personalized way to see recent discussion according to (see above). I understand that some people do like games etc, but not having to block the threads one at a time would be great.

Sometimes, sometimes not. I guess this is more regarding to sa where things would get too personal so the fear of being recognized hits. So nothing to be done here at least in my opinion.

Could help, could make it show on ones profile page only instead of whenever posting. Or just show it privately (prepare for threads of "how many posts do you have", though)

* Other thoughts:

-

#9 ·

It would be nice if there were some way to know whether or not anyone finds a post useful/helpful other than by a direct reply. I often feel like it's pointless to try to help, since most of my posts will get no reply; for all I know I'm talking to an empty room. If no one's reading my posts, I'd prefer to use my time in other ways, since my posts often take a long time to write. (I'm sure some other people would like me to use my time some other way, too. Lol.)

I actually don't really feel comfortable posting about most of my serious issues on SAS. For some reason, every time I try to post about something that actually bothers me a fight breaks out. So I just try to help other people instead, or stick to academic conversations.

* Other thoughts

A little silly, but I wish they allowed larger avatar file sizes. I'd love to be able to use gifs like I do on my other forum.

#35 ·

I'd like to have the option to hide post count.

It also seems like the ignore feature for blogs (stopping people on your ignore list from seeing them,) doesn't really work properly so if that could be implemented so it works that'd be good. Or even just an option to block certain posters from seeing the blog. I don't really need or want to ignore everyone I don't want seeing blog entries.

Also you can't seem to make blog entries private after making them you can only 'soft delete' them, so you can continue to see them but as far as I know can't make them public again at a later date (or you can delete them properly so they're gone completely.) But having the option to change privacy settings on individual blog entries after posting them whenever you wanted would be good.

it would also be good to have a feature where you can block certain posters from pming you without having to make pms private or friends only. I'm not sure if the ignore list stops that, but it'd be better really if it's separate because I know previous posters here figured out when I had them on my ignore list (not 100% sure how, but I know there's a way people can figure it out and that just seems like it encourages drama.)

I also think the Trump threads should be moved/encouraged to stay in the election subforum since it doesn't make much sense to have that subforum when people post them everywhere, but then again people aren't posting much else right now in S&C so maybe that's pointless.

It varies, and also varies depending on what I'm posting about. There are a couple of topics I always feel very uncomfortable talking about here and that won't change.

Yes, I've had it brought up against me before and even before that happened I didn't like that it was displayed. I also think it creates an unnecessary hierarchy. Also if you try to change your username at any point to be less visible it's impossible if you have a large post count because it's an obvious clue. I'd like the option to hide it from others, though I'd like to keep it for reference for myself.

It would be nice if there were some way to know whether or not anyone finds a post useful/helpful other than by a direct reply. I often feel like it's pointless to try to help, since most of my posts will get no reply; for all I know I'm talking to an empty room. If no one's reading my posts, I'd prefer to use my time in other ways, since my posts often take a long time to write. (I'm sure some other people would like me to use my time some other way, too. Lol.)

* Other thoughts

A little silly, but I wish they allowed larger avatar file sizes. I'd love to be able to use gifs like I do on my other forum.
^ I agree with those. Especially the second one, the file size here is really low and I've been on many other forums even ones that are as active or more active than this one that have a larger file size. The file size here makes it almost impossible to have gif avatars.

#10 ·

* Other thoughts:
I'm totally comfortable posting on here, it is probably their SA that makes them uncomfortable.

#11 ·

This isn't for me personally as I don't think I'm here for the same reason as many people, but I've noticed that some people are still afraid to engage even though it's fairly anonymous and there are lots of people who make threads saying that they need someone to talk to. Maybe these things could be combined in the form of a completely anonymous 1 on 1 chat free of any unique identifiers including usernames. If the 2 random people have a good discussion/experience they're free to identify themselves if they wish, but if they think what they've said was embarrassing or they just want to remain anonymous then they can just close the window and nobody will be any the wiser (unless of course they reveal specific personal details).

I don't know if anyone would actually find this useful but I wouldn't mind receiving anonymous requests while I'm browsing the forums, there are probably others too.

#13 ·

The threads and posts that basically blame women for all of life's problems. I understand people are going through rough times and need to vent, but the snide, dismissive and nasty posts are not at all supportive to the female posters here.

Also, there are way too many trolls.

I don't feel comfortable posting about dating or being relationship challenged due to male (not all ofc, but still too many) posters belittling my experiences.

I would like this. When I am at a particularly low point, I find it difficult to post in sections other than the Just for Fun section. I still want to be connected here and sometimes Just for Fun answers are all that I can muster. It would be nice to have that small bit of comfort without being cursed at or berated by other posters in that section as has happened in the past. I wouldn't mind seeing the post limit removed altogether.

#25 ·

The threads and posts that basically blame women for all of life's problems. I understand people are going through rough times and need to vent, but the snide, dismissive and nasty posts are not at all supportive to the female posters here.
I second this.

I have nothing of substance to add... without going on a rant about angry virgins and why they are virgins. I just wanted to say I agree completely with this post.

More personal stories that aren't "i can't get laid."

****ing Trump threads.
Less virgins and i can't get a girlfriend threads.
Make one for each and sticky it on top. People can post in there.
And this. Yessssss. All of this.

#16 ·
-fixing chat so it works normally
-the ability to actually block (they shouldn't be able to visit you, send messages or quote you) people, especially since obvious trolling is not moderated in any way
-less politics (aka trump) - those threads can be interesting and i do read them but not everyone is from the US and seeing multiple trump threads each day gets annoying after a while
-just for fun/games - probably the most pointless part of this site, less of that would be nice
-complaining - obviously the threads in the frustration section. it's usually littered with people who don't want advice or help. a lot of them are often by the same users. i know venting helps but the same user doesn't need to post a new thread about the same topic every day

#21 ·

Some members shouldn't be banned at all. You guys ban members too quickly.

Same with certain threads. Some are kind of funny but because they're a bit spammy they get tossed.

Also less tolerance for members putting other down, like saying "get over it"
Especially in the frustration section of the forum. Can't even be frustrated in the frustration section? WTF.

A better block feature.

More lighthearted threads and funny polls.
More personal stories that aren't "i can't get laid."

****ing Trump threads.
Less virgins and i can't get a girlfriend threads.
Make one for each and sticky it on top. People can post in there.

A larger avatar size and images in signatures.

I'm somewhat comfortable. Don't really care if people like me or not. It's your block list. Use it when you need it.

Couldn't care less about post count. But at each 5000 posts, you guys should send us some chocolate

#47 ·
There have been some good ideas. :)

Some members shouldn't be banned at all. You guys ban members too quickly.
I think you guys have banned a lot of people who've made this place very interesting. Unless it's something outrageous like a death threat, I say get rid of the permanent ban and be lenient. Let people (even those without SA but with other mental problems) hang out here.
I have been shocked several times seeing very interesting members get banned. Members who have been here for a long time and didn't have a history of trolling/insulting. I seriously have no idea what those members have done to deserve a permanent ban despite their long time of participation in the forum.
On the other hand there are people here who are consistently mean(least to be said) and don't get banned. Probably just because they are delicate enough not to break certain rules.
Most of the time, when someone gets banned without a history of trolling/breaking rules, they got themselves banned on purpose by breaking one of the rules that leads to an immediate permanent ban. The post that they broke the rule in is always deleted, which means most people won't see what happened or why they have been banned. It can be sad to see people get themselves banned on purpose, and it is surprising sometimes.

The rest of the time, the person had been given a lot of chances to change the way they behaved, and they kept breaking the rules anyway.

Unless they broke the rule that leads to an immediate ban, have joined to advertise/troll or already have another account on here, no one can be permanently banned until all of the moderators and an administrator have voted "yes" for whether or not they should be permanently banned.

#27 ·
I echo much of what @TryingMara said.

My own ideas:

A bigger crackdown on "Who has it easier" posts. I've reported lots of "It's easier for women," "It's not so important for women," "It's not such a big deal for women," etc. posts, and quite a few are left standing/unedited. I try to report posts only when I'm at least 90-100% sure they're breaking the rules, so I'm pretty sure these are problem posts that are being allowed to stay up. This makes me feel discouraged about reporting very blatant rule-breaking posts if nothing is going to be done.

Many are from the same users, so perhaps a "Three strikes and you get a temp ban" rule would be good too, though I imagine I'm the only one who likes either of these ideas.

Also a crackdown on posts which call others "liars" when they give their asked-for opinions (usually happens in the type of threads mentioned below). This behavior isn't much different from "You don't really have SA!" posts, which aren't allowed, so this and variants of it should not be allowed either. It's okay to challenge an opinion, but to just call somebody a liar for giving their opinion?--no. Especially not when the opinion was asked for.

I may have other ideas later but these are the ones that wear on me the most. These, and "What do women/men think?" threads in which the opposite gender starts answering for the intended gender, but I don't see how those threads could be properly monitored with so very few mods, especially when the OP usually isn't seeking the opposite gender's opinion at all. Those threads usually just devolve into "Liar!" posts anyway, so please see the point above.

#28 ·

I think you guys have banned a lot of people who've made this place very interesting. Unless it's something outrageous like a death threat, I say get rid of the permanent ban and be lenient. Let people (even those without SA but with other mental problems) hang out here.

Deep discussions about peoples hobbies and quirky interests.

More personal stories and updates from people who haven't posted in a long time.

Trump threads. People complaining about women, virginity and "normies"

The forum is only as good as the people who participate. Be more lenient on the permanent ban. Allow those, even without SAS--but clearly with other mental health issues-- to make their contributions to the forum, even if they're annoying. They make this place more interesting.

The lack of deep and meaningful interaction, with the exception of the PMs.

An ability to thumbs up or plus one posts I like. But I can see the draw back in that (people who don't any thumbs up or plus ones will get self-conscious and feel even more crappy about themselves).

I'm not sure if we have this, but an ignore list.

It's alright. It's just a way to pass the time for me.

No. How do you figure that would even help?

* Other thoughts:

Keep in mind, it's not the functionality or the gimmicks of the forum that makes it interesting, it's the people. You have to attract a more diverse group. Even people who are normal, or who have other mental health issues, who even though they post annoying stuff, should be tolerated. Otherwise this places just becomes an echo chamber.

#33 ·
I think you guys have banned a lot of people who've made this place very interesting. Unless it's something outrageous like a death threat, I say get rid of the permanent ban and be lenient.
This
I have been shocked several times seeing very interesting members get banned. Members who have been here for a long time and didn't have a history of trolling/insulting. I seriously have no idea what those members have done to deserve a permanent ban despite their long time of participation in the forum.
On the other hand there are people here who are consistently mean(least to be said) and don't get banned. Probably just because they are delicate enough not to break certain rules.

I think other than posts about SA and problems associated with it we also need posts about people. About our experiences. It doesn't have to be something terrible that happened the other day. Just some random thing.
Currently this forum has become a forum about social anxiety. But I think it should be a forum about socially anxious people.

Emotionally draining threads. Like venting and negative things. I know it's a support forum and I'm in no way suggesting that people should be limited about expressing their feelings. But I'm personally too emotionally drained already to be able to read strangers' vents and give support to them.
Also everything in S&C but the (only) good thing about that section is that you can block the whole of it(which I have) and get rid of all the scary things there. But I can't just block venting. Plus, I don't want to just block all venting. Maybe some friend posts some venting and I want to give them a hug.

I would change the way banning decision is made. I've already mentioned it and other people have also mentioned it so I won't get into details.

Mean people.
Mobile site.
Blocking mechanism. I want complete block. When I block someone I want them to think I haven't had any activity since the moment I have blocked them.

Like button could be nice. :D I know it can have negative side effects but I think you should at least give it a try for a little while to see how things will work out.
A complete block that sends the blocked person to depths of oblivion.

Sometimes I feel like my SA or generally my situation is not as bad as some people on here so I refrain from posting some stuff. I feel obliged not to show off my happy moments.
On the other hand I try not to post venting threads either because there is already enough negativity in this forum, also there isn't an SA-related issue that there aren't tons of threads about already.

:O
Where did you get that evil idea?!!!

* Other thoughts
I can give you a list of people who should be banned if you want. 8)
Also I see a lot of people complaining about game threads. If you ever decided to remove them from the "New Posts" section could you please add a filter function instead? Like add them to the default filter but let people unfilter them.

#30 ·
#31 ·
idk it's pretty awesome as i see it

uhhhhh

those stupid ones about how looks are everything

put kitty cat stickers on the forum

those guys who think women are the source of their problems and not their own **** attitudes

idk

ya

nah

* Other thoughts:

none really

#32 ·
*Little tidbit about the Just For Fun section.

I've made wonderful connections with people on this site through those same threads. Though it seems most people don't really like them. So if it is possible why not just remove that section from showing up on the "recent discussions" board? That way it doesn't have to go away, but it also doesn't bother everyone else.

*Do you feel comfortable posting on SAS?
No I actually don't. The fact that there are people who are displeased with the Just for Fun section gives me anxiety about even posting there. Literally thats the only place where I feel okay to post. I'm not comfortable with making my own threads.

#34 ·
For the love of god. More moderation please. And kick off the moderators who are consistently bigoted. Hate speech doesn't belong here. You can say and discuss whatever you want on this forum so long as it's not sexist, homophobic, racist, transphobic, so on.

I left this site for a long time because I was so tired of not only the unchecked circlejerk of negativity, but the continued allowance of bigoted people in places of authority. I felt (and still feel) so unwelcome here. I shouldn't have to debate my human rights with people in charge. I notice someone in particular I had in mind was recently demoted from having any moderating power on this site, so that's a start. Please keep that trend. And please keep trying to employ moderators who have truly egalitarian mindsets.

I think some of the more irrelevant parts of this site should be shut down, or better moderated. It's entertaining, sure, but it's so counter intuitive. It's what got me sucked up into the comfort of this site. I treated it like a home, a one-stop for all my thoughts regarding anything and everything. That's not healthy. This is an anxiety forum. It should be a place to vent, ask questions, get help, support each other, learn about each other and our problems. But when we start opening up the site to S&C, Atheism & Religion, Relationships, etc -- we have to keep it RELEVANT to anxiety disorders and the like, or shut it down altogether. Otherwise we leave this site open to chaos. It's simply TOO MUCH to moderate, to sift through and keep on topic. People treat it like it's a free for all because that's the way SAS has set the climate. We lose sight of what we came here for in the first place. And a lot of people end up just lost for years in this place & even worse for wear.

#36 ·
A lot of this doesn't affect me since I'm not on here as much anymore so I'll keep it short.

Remove the swear filter or give us an option to turn it on or off. It's supposed to be a 'family site', but we all know that kids aren't coming on here with their families and most teens are exposed to curse words already. Make it allowable as long as expletives aren't being spammed in a post.

Make the search feature go beyond 10 pages like it used to be. I don't know why Helena changed it, but it makes looking up older posts a pain. It also helps the mods for various things.

So that's basically it for now. For the ones saying the mods ban too easily, a lot of times those people had plenty of chances assuming things haven't drastically changed.

#37 ·
A lot of this doesn't affect me since I'm not on here as much anymore so I'll keep it short.

Remove the swear filter or give us an option to turn it on or off. It's supposed to be a 'family site', but we all know that kids aren't coming on here with their families and most teens are exposed to curse words already. Make it allowable as long as expletives aren't being spammed in a post.

Make the search feature go beyond 10 pages like it used to be. I don't know why Helena changed it, but it makes looking up older posts a pain. It also helps the mods for various things.

So that's basically it for now. For the ones saying the mods ban too easily, a lot of times those people had plenty of chances.
Yeah I agree about the swear filter, they have the option to turn it on/off on other forums I've been on and that makes more sense.

#39 ·

i quite like the trump threads, because i spend a lot of time here and its actually interesting, and something to think about. i would like more threads that are unique/interesting

less threads where a really obvious/troll question is being asked, and people still reply, so that it keeps coming up in the recent discussions

an updated chat, and it would be cool if i could choose to have a few of the just for fun threads not show up on the recent discussions.
and also an option to permanently change how many threads are shown when looking at the forums. right now, it seems to be stuck at 'last month' and you have to keep changing it to see older threads.

#40 ·
I don't mind it how it is. I think it caters for a vatiety of interests. Some complain about there being too many threads about politics but they can be easily ignored and there's always topics across the other sub forums. I think people like a post count even if they are mostly short posts, they like milestones and crumbs of comfort. I tend not to prioritize quantity but it doesn't bother me if ithers see it differently.

Having likes may on one hand be positive and encourage quality but its outweighed by the certainty of members not feeling popular.

I wouldn't be against reducing threads per week per member to 3 or 4. Likewise i think we could crack down more on people posting similar threads all the time or a slight variant of the subject.

#41 ·
For the most part things are awesome, but off the top of my head the forum could use:

-More Cowbell (Couldn't resist!)
-Minor gripe, but get rid of the "Setup Progress Bar" as mine's been at 60% forever and the reminder is always at the top of the forum for me. I do not want to add a custom signature nor do I want to subscribe to a thread!
-Have a separate section dedicated to political discussion (a lot of forums ban political discussion to keep the peace, but yeah)
-Implement some form of three strike rule for "personal attacks" or breaches of forum policy
-Likewise if someone breaks a rule, let them know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.