What Do You Think of Veganism - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Cool

What Do You Think of Veganism

People eat a lot of animal product. Thousands of animals are slaughtered everyday after living in brutal conditions. Even milk and egg production is done in unethical ways.

So people become vegans. They think killing animals is wrong period and believe that people can live without killing animals. What do you think of veganism?

Personally I think it's okay for people to kill animals for food and other products.

But I think it's been taken to the extreme and animals have been over-exploited.

I think people need to try to consume far-less animal product. I think vegan meals need to be advertised and sold more. (not vegan meat because that turns a lot of people away)

What do you think?

The world is quiet here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:01 PM
SAS Member

Language: Fluent in English, Sarcasm and Backchat. Very bad at Spanish.
I think it's stupid.

But if you want a mature answer... well, tough, it's still stupid. We're omnivorous animals and there isn't anything wrong with eating other animals. Brown bears are omnivorous, rats are omnivorous, pigs are omnivorous; no-one's telling them they shouldn't be. Why is it, just because we have the ability to feel empathy, that humans are wrong for being naturally bloody omnivorous as well?

How the animals are raised and farmed and killed needs to improve, so I'm with them on that. And perhaps more people should stop making more mouths to feed.

Wilfred Mott: Oh, Doctor... what about you now? Who've you got? I mean... all those friends of yours...

The Doctor: They've all got someone else. Still, that's fine. I'm fine.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wren611 View Post
I think it's stupid.

But if you want a mature answer... well, tough, it's still stupid. We're omnivorous animals and there isn't anything wrong with eating other animals. Brown bears are omnivorous, rats are omnivorous, pigs are omnivorous; no-one's telling them they shouldn't be. Why is it, just because we have the ability to feel empathy, that humans are wrong for being naturally bloody omnivorous as well?

How the animals are raised and farmed and killed needs to improve, so I'm with them on that. And perhaps more people should stop making more mouths to feed.
I don't think it's stupid. And I applaud them for recognizing 'hey, we don't have to be dependent on animals', but at the same time, I agree with you in that killing for food, leather, and other animal product is nothing to be ashamed about.

The world is quiet here.
post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
I don't care much about that someone is vegan.
But I don't say that I can appreciate how animals live before slaughter, that is terrible and awful, it's too brutal imo.
Anyway, that is not what someone can easily change, because there are tons of people who still eats meat and going to keep on that (including me), because no matter what meat is still important for everyone to be healthy (of course veggies also counts on that and all that have to be real, not just fake cheap fabricated ***t).

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:19 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Can't really call yourself an animal lover if you eat meat.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:22 PM

Language: sarcasm
I think it's great but not for me. I'm happy with a vegetarian/pesca lifestyle right now.

But I agree that people should really try to eat less animal products. It's terrible for the environment and generally not that great for you. (Not that it can't be healthy, but the way most people consume meat, at least in America, is less healthy than a plant based life style)

I don't like holier than thou vegans or extreme vegans though. If you live in modern society then you still profit from a lifestyle that hurts animals (Animals killed during harvesting, deforestation, habitat loss, pollution, etc). I have watched a few documentaries on veganism too, and they conveniently leave out details in their evidence in the interest of convincing you but not giving you the whole picture

Don't get me wrong, I support veganism... I think the world would be a better place if we all ate plant based but I just think it's a shame that it's become so radicalized and less about inclusion or even the facts nowadays.

-

My less relevant personal stance on meat:

I personally believe it is ok to kill animals. If all life is sacred then what about pests or even parasites? I have always found the lines that people draw between different forms of life to be strange and silly. But the mass production of livestock has to be stopped, it's terrible for the environment and also just beyond murder in the sense that not only are these animals killed but their whole lives are repurposed and contorted for our consumption. But I don't believe we can support a society that eats meat without it, so I just will try to limit my meat intake until lab grown meat picks up. (It's in development rn)
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxslide View Post
I think it's great but not for me. I'm happy with a vegetarian/pesca lifestyle right now.
I don't have as much problem with 'slaughtering' fish, so tend to go with fish options as much as I can.

The world is quiet here.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 04:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
If people want to be vegan then that's fine, their choice but I have mine as well, I get annoyed when people try to shove it down my throat. My believe is animals should be slaughtered humanely, and should not be kept in over crowed conditions for mass production in which they suffer.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Harvester of Sorrow

Language: English, Broken Cantonese, Spanish Curse words, few words of Mandarin
My Mood: Lonely
If that's how someone wants their diet then that's fine. But don't tell me to live that way. I'm not opposed to eating and incorporating some of those kinds of dishes into a balanced diet as part of my normal moderate life style. But I wouldn't eat vegan exclusively.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
We're all animal-killers, thats a sad messed up fact of life lol. A species that harvests resources from another species, at the expense of the host species, is usually considered to be parasitic.
post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:12 PM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
Itís great.
post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 PM
SAS Member

We're a carnivorous society. I was raised as a meat eater and am accustomed to having that as part of my diet. However i try to eat more vegan vegetarian these days than i used to but its difficult for me to make the shift to becoming completely vegan while still maintaining a balanced diet. I think it'd be good if it was promoted more and we were better informed on becoming vegan.
I do absolutely find the way animals are farmed as abhorrent in a lot of cases and more should be done but again there is no will on the part of the government or meat industry to do anything about it. Better conditions = fewer profits. A lot of finger pointing goes to the consumer from well meaning people rather than modern capitalism which exploits himans and animals alike.
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 10:31 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I admire people that can become vegan tbh

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:09 AM
🎄Moderator🎄

I think if no one bought meat, the animals would have died for nothing because the meat will be thrown away.

After some videos I watched a few years ago, I can see why some people would want to stop eating meat. I don't eat much of it except for chicken. I never ate much lamb, but I would feel bad about eating it now because I like lambs too much.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:22 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I think humans over-exploit one another just as much as we do other animals. Just because we don't actually kill each other (usually) doesn't change what it is that we're doing to one another. So that particular aspect of it is kind of irrelevant.

As far as whether or not meat and other animal products could be harvested more humanely? Probably, but most people wouldn't like the prices. Especially to change everything over to a more humane system all at once. Once there I suppose the prices would be steady and people would get used to it.

But still. I was looking at beef the other day in the store and it's pretty damn expensive as it is.

Got nothing against vegans doing their thing. I avoid a lot of meat products because they're just plain unhealthy. I have to watch my cholesterol and so forth. I don't want them in my face preaching at me, however.

/WYSD
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:28 AM
Wanted for questioning

My Mood: Innocent
I don't eat meat at all but it's like 30% because of the killing and 70% because meat tastes disgusting.

I think most of the problems come from false information. People saying that humans have to eat meat to be healthy, which is completely untrue. People saying that it's always unnecessary to kill animals for meat which is also untrue.

I draw the line at tearing things skin off to make shoes though.

What's wrong with running away from reality if it sucks?

post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:30 AM
SAS Member

I never actually think about it. The only time I came close to being affected by it was when my son became vegetarian a while ago. I can't remember if it was his girlfriend that got him onto it or he started himself. All I know is it was annoying because all of a sudden I had to start looking at all these vego recipes on the internet.

Thank God all that crap is over with and he's back to having a chicken burger again.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:54 AM
You tell me

I think several things about it. I think it's mostly a good idea, though extreme, and not for me since I value flexibility and there are some other concerns I have about it which I won't go into here. I think a more realistic thing to strive for would be to consume less meat overall. I find the gluttony and self-indulgence of western society (and other societies tbh) to be grotesque. I agree with them that I don't like factory farming. I disagree with some who argue that it's inherently wrong to kill / eat animals, or that there's no such thing as humane killing, or that it's wrong to (or possible to not) exploit animals in any way or consume animal products, or that humans are fruitarians? (um no, we're opportunistic omnivores, we basically eat anything we can get our hands on)... There's a lot of cringey non science, flawed nutrition facts, misguided sanctimony, and propaganda going on in the vegan movement. I'm not susceptible to shock tactic type documentaries either, they have the opposite effect on me where I just feel like I'm being manipulated and I become less receptive to their message. Also somewhat related; I've also noticed an enormous number of vegan women have a history of eating disorders, (and in fact this is typical, because women with disordered eating do often jump onto trending diets, they were vegetarian in the 90s, then lactose or gluten intolerant in the 2000s, now vegan).
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:27 AM
nothing fills the void

Language: rambling
its quite a highly inflamatory diet, at least for me it was. inflammation is one of the biggest causes for disease. my motivation level plummeted as did my performance in the gym, constant bloating, belching, worse acne, hemorrhoids got worse, constipation and diarrhea. it was also expensive and you need to supplement vitamins and other stuff, you can do it cheap but I would in no way advise it. it is very hard to never use or come in contact with animal products, THEY ARE IN EVERYTHING! from soap to other bits and bobs you wouldn't even think they would be in.

if you can do it and you feel healthy, or if you are doing it for ethical reasons and you avoid all the other stuff animal products are in?.. more power to you.

I like donuts
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 AM
today's a beautiful day

My Mood: Sleepy
Well, I feel sorry for all the animals that have to die for humans... I do eat fish only and try to have as small portions as possible.

I also feel really bad about accidentally stepping on a bug or cute snails that explore our grassy front garden on rainy nights. If they only chose different path or if my steps were slightly elsewhere...

It shows how Life can be unpredictable. One moment you are here, the next you are gone, squashed by Speed Giants...

there are no shortcuts in life... there are no free meals in life ... life is short and cruel, but beautiful!... I always do my best - no regrets... it's never too late to be what u might have been
My SA story so far || My YouTube VLOG

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page