What did you get out of SAS? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Question

What did you get out of SAS?

What did you get out of SAS? I am asking because SAS is a more than just a community where people join just to post. It is a support community with information available. Some of us come here because we are either lonely, lost, frustrated and depressed. There feelings are understandable but are people actually using the tools and the resources to help themselves? It feel like SAS has become a social media where people talk random stuff but on a forum setup. Are people actually working on their social anxiety or mental illness?

For myself the only thing that has helped is me trying to do voice and video recording. I never put myself out there before. It helped a little. It made me feel a little more open to keep trying to be vocal since I struggle with confidence, being shy and being sure of myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 12:54 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
It is sort of a connection point I suppose. The more connection points you have, the more likely you're forced out of your comfort zones which is probably about the only true way to improve and deal with your anxiety. I doubt I get anything groundbreaking to help break established patterns of behavior from being here, and more times than not, I'm probably avoiding doing something else.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 03:56 PM
SAS Member

Well I feel better when I write things out and put my thoughts into words. It's nice to share them with people and know you're not alone in the way you feel. I also value any advice people can offer me, especially if they've gone through a similar situation. I like giving advice too whenever I can if it'll help.

It's also a nice distraction. Even with the silly stuff. It helps me not be so in my head all the time.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 04:07 PM
SAS Member

Language: too few
My Mood: Angelic
Friendships and memories, both good and bad, wonderful and painful. Basically the kinds of things most people get irl.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 04:52 PM
anxiolytic

Language: 'Merican
There's some people here I like.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 06:53 PM
lagrimas negras

I'm not sure about any tools or resources to help myself but I can relate to some of the things I read on this site. I guess in a way that helps me cope with my own issues.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Lady View Post
What did you get out of SAS? I am asking because SAS is a more than just a community where people join just to post. It is a support community with information available. Some of us come here because we are either lonely, lost, frustrated and depressed. There feelings are understandable but are people actually using the tools and the resources to help themselves? It feel like SAS has become a social media where people talk random stuff but on a forum setup. Are people actually working on their social anxiety or mental illness?
SAS has been pretty inactive the past few years but whenever it is a little more active, this question comes up a lot and my answer is always the same. SAS is a forum. Forums are informal. If you need serious help, a forum isn't going to give you what you're looking for. That's why people pay for therapy.

Also, "support" (IMO) is whatever you need. Mostly people here just want someone to listen or somewhere to post their thoughts without being judged too harshly. It doesn't mean you're going to come here to get cured. And if you have a specific question, someone will probably answer it.

/WYSD
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 07:14 PM
Happy little accidents

I've made a couple friends here and sometimes I make threads to hear other peoples opinions that are struggling in the same way. A lot of my posts are random thoughts and at times I try to be supportive to people here.

Don't let people treat you like dirt.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-16-2020, 09:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
The only one place where I can vent and expect (for the least) to be understood or get some help...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 01:54 AM
alien monk

I can express myself from time to time and also read some interesting thoughts from other people.

no I'm not working on my neurodiversity (aka "mental illness"). my thoughts on that have changed a lot. I'm living with it and learning to deal with the worlds discrimination and bad treatment and realising how glorious life is regardless of other people's bs.

I haven't made real friendships here but I like some people a lot - from a safe distance - and that works for me.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 02:17 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Nobody judges me so harshly for living a semi hermitish life, having little friends, no relationships etc, can vent my thoughts, I also like some people here & alternative lifestyle thoughts (cause the norm isn't really working from an environmental viewpoint foremost).. different stories.

It's a fairly diverse place with people scattered across the globe, so you can try to get an overall feel of humanity & the state of the world vicariously.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 07:28 AM
SAS Member

Language: German, English
My Mood: Tired
Mental support, I guess? I can ask stupid questions here and never got a negative answer. Everyone was encouraging and some of those answers I read here gave me more support than any person in real life.
I would like to connect more with other users and such, but I don't usually post that much.

Ciaossu!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 09:12 PM
!

My Mood: Drunk
I've met valuable people here. Pretty much all my current online contacts are from SAS.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 10:35 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
Relationships - both platonic and romantic. This is one of the few places where I felt like I "fit in", especially when my anxiety was at its worst. I felt comfortable venting without being judged too much.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-19-2020, 10:47 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Never learned this unknown skill of SAS

my profession is only SQL

so all career over as I was Born in 1970s
all's lost

only those born 18 years ago can succeed
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 12:09 AM
bipolar

I've never really used it for the resources on here, I don't think I really see it as a place to help with my mental health. Although I like talking to a few people on here - and I used to like talking to a few that are now gone.

I need to be careful what I read on here because it can trigger some very unpleasant feelings for me - but if I'm careful it's okay.

I also see it more as a social media site - sort of like a very small Twitter or something. It's sort of somewhere just to put down your thoughts a bit.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 12:18 AM
Packing My Bags

I got some great demonstration seminars about data management and analytics. A must for anyone running or looking on starting a big business. Especially in tech.

^^^ Gibberish ^^^

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-20-2020, 02:17 AM
experimental sincerity

I've used SAS to talk to people. I've met some people I like here, and there's a sense of a (dysfunctional) community, which feels nice on some days. In some ways, there's little judgement - if someone wants to start a thread to discuss their microwave, that's cool, and people will join in. That can be relaxing after the braggathon of social media.

I've largely dealt with my issues and now things are very manageable, so I don't really use SAS as a resource for anxiety. I don't know if it would be helpful. When I used SAS a lot, my anxiety was actually worse (although this doesn't imply a causal relationship).

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-21-2020, 09:25 PM
Ad astra per aspera.

Place to scroll when I'm bored.

Miles to go before I sleep. Vale.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-22-2020, 10:58 AM
Senior Thread Writer

My Mood: Worried
To vent. to feel less alone. to know there are hundreds of ppl across the globe that struggle in the same way i do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page