What Career did you want as a child? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

What Career did you want as a child?

I wanted to be a wrestler , shopkeeper or a runner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 06:55 AM
Barbells and kittens

I wanted to be a stock broker.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 07:04 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

There were a lot. I wanted to be a travel agent, librarian, cashier, doctor, Spice Girl, chef, author, sandwich maker, babysitter, ice cream person, dentist, shopping channel presenter, hairdresser, makeup artist and probably a few other things.

I had an idea once that I would buy a cheap house and have part of it as an ice cream shop, sandwich shop, hairdresser/make up salon and daycare centre. I was going to do everything myself with no one working for me, and I even wrote ideas for it in an exercise book I still have somewhere.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Yeah. This is something I have written at length about before (somewhere on this forum) so it probably isn't necessary to redo that too much here.

Let me just say that when I was in kindergarten, I remember this question being asked. The dreaded question........

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

The first time someone asked me that question I knew I was screwed. I never had an answer. All the other kids did. Even if it was something unrealistic or nonexistent. They had something. Me? Nothing. I never did.

/WYSD
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:41 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
A veterinarian but then my sister told me they mostly kill animals more than they save them and its 8 years of schooling for it. I have no idea why I wanted to be a veterinarian. I was like 8 when I chose what I wanted my first career to be.

Then I wanted to be a detective. Specifically, a detective. Lol

I think there was one more. Possibly a dancer cause I loved dancing as a kid. I loved to dance to Madonna a lot. Lmao But now it's so awkward to dance even by myself. I couldn't imagine doing that as a career. Yikes.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 08:56 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater View Post
A veterinarian but then my sister told me they mostly kill animals more than they save them and its 8 years of schooling for it. I have no idea why I wanted to be a veterinarian. I was like 8 when I chose what I wanted my first career to be.
But if animals must be euthanized, they will be one way or another. And in some (albeit sad) way, this might be making way for the animals that do survive to have better lives and more resources dedicated to them.

And also, although it's sad and obviously not fun to euthanize a hopelessly ill or dying animal, it is also something that must be done and is an act of kindness and love. At least if it must be done, it would be nice to know the person administering it was a kind and caring person. It would be a meaningful and necessary job to have.

/WYSD
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:01 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Twisted
Park Ranger, like the ones who are in those big towers. I'm a loner anyway, that life might have been good.

You're Winner!
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:03 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
But if animals must be euthanized, they will be one way or another. And in some (albeit sad) way, this might be making way for the animals that do survive to have better lives and more resources dedicated to them.

And also, although it's sad and obviously not fun to euthanize a hopelessly ill or dying animal, it is also something that must be done and is an act of kindness and love. At least if it must be done, it would be nice to know the person administering it was a kind and caring person. It would be a meaningful and necessary job to have.
Going to school is was takes the fun out of any career for me and all that debt so that job isn't an option for me realistically. Especially with my SA.

I dont see me particularly enjoying that job. I want something I'll enjoy but it's hard to find a career I can enjoy cause of having to go back to school. Takes up too much time. When I was a kid, it was a different story cause I had interests but didnt realize that when I got older I'd have SA and that school isn't all its cracked up to be.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:40 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I never had a dream job as a kid, I remember being asked a lot though, and I just did not have a desire to be anything. My first job at 13, was working for a restaurant and I thought that was pretty cool, I imagined I would spend out the rest of my life working low wage jobs, even then I was not preparing for a career, I jut couldn't envision myself doing anything in particular for the rest of my life.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 09:49 AM
Yoink

Spider-man and / or an astronaut

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I would roleplay some stuff but mostly didn't seriously consider it. I was more drawn to fantastical stuff like wanting to go to Hogwarts, wanting magical powers, or wanting to be a mermaid (but only part time obviously because legs are useful.) Also pretended to be a librarian once (somehow we got one of those stamps they used to use for checking out books from a car boot sale or something like that.)

When I was 11 I claimed to want to be an actor but really I just couldn't think of anything and I was made by school to write a poem based on 'what do you want to do for a living when you're older' was very this:

Later I thought it might be interesting, but most things have crossed my mind at some point.

But yeah I wanted to be a game designer at one point in childhood and I also wanted to be an archaeologist (Tomb Raider, I didn't really know anything about archaeology,) and a guitarist/rock musician.

From teen years onwards I thought about tons of different things at least superficially, and ultimately committed to none of them.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
Paleontologist, astronaut, writer, comic book artist, actor, rock star, witch, philosopher, guru, game designer, psychotherapist, and public speaker have been the main ones. These days I'm focused mostly on taking over the world and starting my own religion (same thing, really).

Edit: I just realized the "as a child" part. My list goes right up to the present. But since I've never grown up, I think it still applies.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:20 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Paleontologist, astronaut, writer, comic book artist, actor, rock star, witch, philosopher, guru, game designer, psychotherapist, and public speaker have been the main ones. These days I'm focused mostly on taking over the world and starting my own religion (same thing, really).

Edit: I just realized the "as a child" part. My list goes right up to the present. But since I've never grown up, I think it still applies.
I think taking over the world by creating your own religion is probably harder to do than it was back in the day. Back then you just needed an interesting beard and the ability to talk people into believing in magic. People are so jaded these days.

/WYSD
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:34 PM
bipolar

The only one I can really think of was a sound engineer - because I used to actually be really into music when I was in my teens and I knew quite a lot about it. I remember I got an interview with some record company but they told me I'd have to work on Saturdays and I was still pretending to be a Seventh Day Adventist (so my mother wouldn't get too upset) so I had to turn it down.

I went to a private school and I was expected to go and do law or maybe medicine if I got in. I was a very bookish kid (from about the age of 10 -16) -but then I discovered girls and my priorities sort of changed. My father nearly had a breakdown when I left school though. Tough tittie Baby.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:57 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
writer, scientist

that kid had a lot to learn about life

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 12:59 PM
🥀

doctor, pediatrician

i hate medicine

“I’m tired, can’t think of anything and want only to lay my face in your lap, feel your hand on my head and remain like that through all eternity.”
― Franz Kafka, Letters to Milena
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 01:35 PM
butterball

My Mood: Mellow
Scientist, pilot, rock star, pianist.

"It's a gift to exist, and with existence comes suffering. There's no escaping that."
Stephen Colbert
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:24 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I think taking over the world by creating your own religion is probably harder to do than it was back in the day. Back then you just needed an interesting beard and the ability to talk people into believing in magic. People are so jaded these days.
It's still just as popular it's just constantly evolving. Right now people are pretty into synchromysticism, chaos magic (meme magic,) and transhumanism.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:28 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
When I was young, I wanted to be an herpetologist. I was obsessed with the crocodile hunter and other nature shows and used to go out and catch snakes and lizards and whatnot. Pretty silly to think about now.
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:48 PM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Angry

train driver

after i was allowed to drive a tram in ßlackpool! age ~10~ after some wedding

but age 4 i had my whole life mapped out: do something no other person has ever done. succeed. achieve. everyone has done? SO EASY! everything is so effortless. do nothing. get everything by doing nothing. everyone does.
do what parents did? no. i never wanted to be their child (third brother) they should have not created me. only a negative effect to everything and everyone.

so my gift to the planet is not swarm the place with more humans. condoms.

everyone i've known had done so. filthy. against my religion, standards.

reduced headcount is global solution. all death is a gift. so pleased it happens.

produce humans? they get cancer! good! obesity. illness. good. humans are pests & threats to everyone, except me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page