What are your interests? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

What are your interests?

I noticed that in your profile, it asks about what your hobbies are but not your interests. Those are two different things. I also am interested in singing/drama but I'm not a professional singer. I have to take singing lessons. drama is fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 12:56 PM
SAS Member

Language: English, a little Japanese, Java, C#, C++
I dunno, I've always considered 'hobbies' and 'interests' to be pretty much the same thing. I think most people don't engage in their hobbies on a professional level. I'm interested in and enjoy cooking, but I'm nowhere near the level of a professional chef. I love playing video games but I'd never play them professionally, or even on a competitive level. I like programming and I'm in school to earn a degree in computer science so I suppose that's the one 'interest' I have that will eventually become professional.

I suppose 'interests' might include things that you don't necessarily do for a hobby; I'm interested in science, especially genetics and microbiology, but I don't do anything about them as a hobby except read the occasional article online. I'm also very interested in secular concerns, like atheism, skepticism and humanism, but don't do anything about them.

"Asking 'If there is no God, what is the purpose of life?' is like asking 'If there is no master, whose slave will I be?'" - Dan Barker
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Thanks for your response!
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 04:31 PM
SAS Member

I'm interested in quite a few things - books, old buildings, old paintings, travelling, different cultures - especially Asian ones, movies, music - lots of things.

Books I've always loved - especially old ones. I love the old paper, the old bindings - and even just thinking about what things were like back when they were printed. They're beautiful.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 05:00 PM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

My Mood: Crappy
I cheated and used the Hobbies area to list my interests too.

Fantasy writing (hobby)
Egyptian & Ojibwa (Chippewa) mythology (interest)
GLBT (hobby)
Mackinac Island (interest)
Jung (interest)
dreams (interest)
abnormal psychology (especially DID) (interest)
ritual crime/true crime (interest)
Great Lakes/Michigan geology & early history (interest)
book collecting & reading (hobby)
trees/forests (hobby)
nature photography (hobby)
walking/hiking (hobby)
feeding birds/wild animals (hobby)
daydreaming about my characters/stories (hobby/interest)

Yeah...I'm not much fun to talk to.

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 05:15 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bored
My hobbies are pretty useless and are of the lazy variety: Listening to true crime podcasts, visiting museums and restaurants, travel, reading fanfiction (guilty pleasure - I hide this one IRL), and watching NHL hockey.

I'm interested in urban development, but I don't do anything with that interest besides read articles about new projects and go look at the infrastructure (if possible).
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 06:23 PM
SAS Member

A couple of other things I really like are libraries, shopping centres/malls and hotels. I'm not sure why I like shopping malls so much but I think I just like to see all the people - plus the shops themselves can be fun, or just sitting around having coffee or something to eat.

Hotels are great too - I've stayed in anything from the cheapest, crappiest place you can imagine right up to amazingly beautiful places as well. (often when I was pretty manic though) I can spend ages just looking up hotels on booking.com or something on my phone. Comes in handy during the current lockdown situation.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 08:29 PM
Permanently tired

My Mood: Dead
Learning another language. So far I've been interested and concentrating all my efforts only in Japanese, but am also considering Korean too in the future.

Reading. Mostly visual novels, but I enjoy traditional books as well.

Programming.

Electronic music - Went through a period listening to alot of DnB, then started getting alot into other types such as Glitch hop and Progressive House.

Browsing image boards

"So many resources keep me alive
Yet I don't even step outside
So many sacrifices keep me alive
Yet I don't even bother to survive."

"If you think we waste too much then you can sacrifice yourself
Don't push your values
Push your values
Onto the crowd."

Mili
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 10:49 PM
Barbells and kittens

Reading is probably my oldest hobby that I still do regularly. Mostly fantasy genre and lately it's listening to audiobooks because I have a driving job spending 60+ hours a week behind the wheel. I also hit up used book sales whenever possible and book stores when I'm traveling, so collecting books is kind of a hobby as well. Not sure exactly how many I have anymore as many are boxed up in storage. When I get a bigger place I'd like to have them all on shelves.

Powerlifting is my other main hobby. I started working out about nine years ago and got into powerlifting around 2014 when I did my first meet. Did my fifth one last October. Had to buy a home gym because of the virus situation and been dealing with a hip injury since last year. Kind of in a slump training wise, but still keeping on.

I'm still fairly amateurish with working on them, but I guess cars and trucks can still be considered a hobby or interest of mine. I do what work I can myself and stuff I don't know how to do I just get done at a shop.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2020, 11:54 PM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
I'm interested in just about everything. It's easier for me to list the things I have no interest in: cars and sports.

Things I've spent a lot of time on: writing, psychology (emphasis on therapy), feminism/gender studies/trans studies, programming/game design/modding
Things I've spent less time on: drawing, literature, music, movies, gaming, comic books, tabletop RPGs, philosophy, occultism, comparative religion, the nature of consciousness, medieval culture, evolutionary theory, neuroscience, sexology, queer studies, web design
Things I've spent even less time on: political science, history, sociology, anthropology, archeology, paleontology, marine biology, acting, urban exploration, mathematics, immunology

I wish I had a lot more time to study all of these things and a bunch of things that never made it onto the list.

Edit: Weirdly, I don't really consider reading a hobby/interest. I read books about my hobbies and interests. I will read just about anything.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 04:13 AM
Leftist Darkness

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I dunno with interests it's kind of a Sylvia Plath everything and nothing thing.

I guess I see hobbies as something more creative so don't have anything I'd count as that right now.

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 04:30 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Lurking
When I'm interested in something, it quickly becomes a hobby. If I had to choose a few interests which I never actually took up, they'd be archery, woodwork and, when I was younger, airsoft (illegal in Australia).

One thing I wanted to get more into was molding/casting. I've experimented with it a lot, but never really had the space or time available to take it seriously.

My main hobbies are painting and drawing.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 09:33 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I guess for me hobbies are more a practice, and interests are more theoretical.

For example I am interested in technology, and quantum physics, and like to read on them. I have no interest in doing anything related to those subjects in practice (well some stuff with technology I do, but for the most part).

I have no interest to the theory side of biking (is there one?), but I like to go for bike runs - it's a hobby.

As for martial arts, they're both a hobby and an interest; I love reading on their development and the thoughts of legendary practitioners (recently for example read Kimura's autobiography), but I also enjoy discovering and applying those things in practice, and finding the bridge between the theory and the practice (and different practices, similarities, applications and adaptations of theory and technique and so on).

I guess other bigger interests are philosophy and psychology.

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 01:25 PM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I'm interested in quite a few things - books, old buildings, old paintings, travelling, different cultures - especially Asian ones, movies, music - lots of things.

Books I've always loved - especially old ones. I love the old paper, the old bindings - and even just thinking about what things were like back when they were printed. They're beautiful.
Old books are great! They've just got a kind of charm and enchantment about them.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2020, 01:29 PM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
I like hanging out with my cats, watching youtube, watching and analysing film, drinking coffee, learning about spirituality and psychology, excersing, going on adventures, learning about animals and wildlife. Dancing, going to the odd animal rights protest, going to the odd gig, walking around a shopping mall. Taking cool pics and putting them on my social media if I feel inclined........I really hate this question because I feel like I don't do anything interesting or exciting

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 12:33 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Ice Dude55 View Post
I like hanging out with my cats, watching youtube, watching and analysing film, drinking coffee, learning about spirituality and psychology, excersing, going on adventures, learning about animals and wildlife. Dancing, going to the odd animal rights protest, going to the odd gig, walking around a shopping mall. Taking cool pics and putting them on my social media if I feel inclined........I really hate this question because I feel like I don't do anything interesting or exciting
Me too - I love shopping malls.

You'd probably love the malls in SE Asia - especially Bangkok. Their malls are just unbelievable - they make ours seem a bit boring tbh.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 07:56 AM
SAS Member

soccer and holidays
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 12:38 PM
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
Wild edibles, gardening, aquariums, wildlife, pets, making art and crafts(painting, paper mache, carving, and trying out other techniques), walking, fishing, rock and fossil collecting, and the paranormal. Hoping to get back into kayaking this year.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 01:05 PM
long hard times to come

gardening, mushroom hunting, programming, animal crossing, listening to music. I like drawing but the motivation to do it comes and goes.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2020, 03:43 PM
SAS Member

music, dancing, walking, clothes, nails, cemeteries, collecting seashells, sims 2, gardening, food, art

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page