What are your hobbies or passions that you really enjoy? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

What are your hobbies or passions that you really enjoy?

What are your hobbies or passions that you really enjoy? When you are done for work what do you really enjoy doing in your free time? I guess I am asking what are you passionate about?

I am assuming most people on this site don't have a huge group of friends to hang out with. So what do you do in your free time that gives you joy? Looking for some tips for myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 09:30 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
For the moment, I've been playing around with an android emulator called BlueStacks, and having fun with jail breaking it, setting up, and playing games on it.

Now I have access to all kinds of android games, which I can use fairly well with my mouse and keyboard. Stuff like this are what I usually play around with, things that require a bit of focus, and tinkering to set up correctly. I could just use my phone, but I don't like draining out my battery, and I prefer a bit of a bigger screen while playing games..Yesterday I started playing around with a site called Duolingo to try to learn Mandarin, I doubt I'll stick with it for long though as I have no practical use for a second language, seeing that I'm not very social to begin with

What I would really like to do is fix my sailboat, and go out sailing over a few days. Unfortunately, that is outside of my budget.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 09:56 AM
Leftist Darkness

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Nothing really. I have passing thoughts about doing things sometimes.

I'm not living, I'm just killing time~♪

Lucy's bitten
Neck is bleeding bad
The teeth have long departed
Yet the desire burns strong
On in desire for destruction
One on which she'll depend
One that ceases to deepen
Too near bitter end

Black through the mountains
She turns her loosening ring
Guardian angel sings
"I think you've lost your wings, but you're still yours
You're still yours, you're still yours"

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 12:45 PM
SAS Member

Napping and catching up on all the oscar nominated films before this Sunday.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Death is my comforter.

Language: English, Japanese, Melanesian Pidgin-English.
My Mood: Cool
Music production is my passion so whatever helps my music, directly or indirectly, is my passion.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 02:25 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I like pushing over old people.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 03:14 PM
Barbells and kittens

Powerlifting is my main hobby. Guess I've been doing it pretty seriously about 5-6 years now and competed in five meets. Best total 1581lbs weighing 220lbs. I lift four days a week and go in for just cardio and stretching some other days. Spend a lot of time prepping food as well. Plus reading about training trying to learn new stuff. Also recording myself lifting and analyzing form trying to perfect it. So it occupies a lot of my time. I'm really passionate about it, but outside of the internet I don't really get to talk about it much with anyone.

Besides that I mostly spend my free time reading, gaming, and watching television. Mostly fantasy books, RPG and strategy/simulation games, and science fiction and fantasy television and movies. Currently binge watching The Vampire Diaries on Netflix, listening to The Dark Tower audiobooks, and playing Civilization 6 and The Witcher 3 on PS4. Obviously not all at once lol.

I don't know that it counts as a hobby since I don't really work on them myself, but I like cars and trucks as well. I have restored muscle car and 4x4 pickup I like to drive and modify whenever I have a little extra money.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:21 PM
alien monk

the feeling when coding something that actually works as intended is sublime. but motivation is at zero. so nothing gets made. rarely a thing comes into existence which is mine and from my own imagination and need for a simple kind of elegance that makes sense to me. when the pieces are set in their right place I find great comfort in that. but most time is spent on the simplest of things, changing my mind on what is right. generic programming or traits or a mix or is it a macro that better suits? unfortunately I am not experienced enough to know so I make all eventually. I learn what the good is by trial and error. still I am a simpleton. but I enjoy it sometimes lol.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 04:25 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Doh
I enjoy riding my motorcycle when I am free on the weekend, just being out on the road riding on a nice day is relaxing to me. I also like painting and working on cars in my spare time, and hitting the trails with my bicycle or playing badminton at the courts.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 05:11 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
the feeling when coding something that actually works as intended is sublime. but motivation is at zero. so nothing gets made. rarely a thing comes into existence which is mine and from my own imagination and need for a simple kind of elegance that makes sense to me. when the pieces are set in their right place I find great comfort in that. but most time is spent on the simplest of things, changing my mind on what is right. generic programming or traits or a mix or is it a macro that better suits? unfortunately I am not experienced enough to know so I make all eventually. I learn what the good is by trial and error. still I am a simpleton. but I enjoy it sometimes lol.
That's awesome! What kinds of things do you code? Websites or games?

I just started learning programming, so I've been doing exercises online while I wait for a web design class I'm taking to start.

Language is a virus from outer space!

--William Burroughs; Laurie Anderson
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-05-2020, 09:08 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
None left anymore...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 12:07 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
Psychotherapy (working on integrating a bunch of stuff), gender studies, philosophy, literature, writing are my main interests right now, with minors in biology, history, and French. I never have enough time to do even a small fraction of what I'd like to do.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 01:35 AM
alien monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendyfool View Post
That's awesome! What kinds of things do you code? Websites or games?

I just started learning programming, so I've been doing exercises online while I wait for a web design class I'm taking to start.
game programming, but I spend 99% of time fantasizing and 1% of time coding. for example I've just been learning rust for like a year and only made 2d vec, rect, some object pool and grid structs. object management is something I always struggled with but I decided to learn a specific ecs based engine (amethyst) but I haven't even started trying to code anything with it yet. I get the main ecs concepts... I haven't coded anything for quite a few weeks lol.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 03:08 AM
SAS Member

I'm passionate about old/rare books. I'm also passionate about selling them when I get tired of them. Because there'll always be more.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 03:36 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
I have pretty much never been able to pursue much of anything I ever thought I might be interested in. I only got to be interested enough in it to be curious. I had curiosities about many things over the years but it always turned out the same way. I never had the money or I didn't live close enough to whatever the "mecca" of the hobby/interest/whatever was. For instance, I was once VERY interested in amateur astronomy. But, this is not something you can turn into a career unless you're a lot smarter than I am. When you're as dumb as I am, amateur astronomy is a hobby you have to pay to get into (and keep paying to advance to the next level).

Anyway, another obstacle was that I lived in an area of the country where you can't really see anything at night because of all the city lights. And also, I hate the cold so I was pretty much done after a couple of years of freezing myself to the bones to get a few glimpses of whatever it was I was looking at. And also, astronomy is a very expensive hobby. It's not just expensive. It's crazy expensive. It might have been the most expensive thing I ever had interest in (except for photography....which I also gave up on for similar reasons).

At the root of it all was chronic unemployment. I had lots of time to kill and so I could always find things to get curious about and try to pursue them in ways that didn't cost anything (which usually involved a library in those days). Occasionally I did try to obtain employment. But never really with the goal of paying for a hobby. More to just get the hell out of my parents house. Which I even eventually gave up on that when I realized I was never going to be able to work on a consistent schedule and wasn't smart enough to do anything more than crap minimum wage jobs (which you also can't keep if you don't show up on time every day).

Let's see. Things I had a passing interest in....

1. Various types of collecting (too expensive).
2. Electronics (not smart enough)
3. Building plastic models (expensive and frustrating because I'm not that good at it and I'm not very patient)
4. Astronomy, photography and paleontology (Not smart enough and expensive)
5. Reading (very short attention span. Can't read a whole book to save my life)
6. Music and movies (expensive and limited interest in types of music and topics and so forth)
7. Mechanical stuff (expensive and not good at it)
8. Woodworking (expensive and not good at it)
9. Walking (I don't live close enough to nature to take walks in the woods and I don't like people seeing me so I'm not just gonna take a walk)
11. Computer stuff. I'm OK at hardware but I couldn't learn things like programming to save my life because I'm not smart enough and my memory is garbage.

That's about all I can think of for now.

EDIT - Oh. I forgot art. I tried getting into drawing a few times. I drew some stuff that wasn't awful. But I am not creative in that way. I can't just pull things out of my head that don't exist and I can't draw from memory (because my memory is garbage).

/WYSD
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 03:50 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I have pretty much never been able to pursue much of anything I ever thought I might be interested in. I only got to be interested enough in it to be curious. I had curiosities about many things over the years but it always turned out the same way. I never had the money or I didn't live close enough to whatever the "mecca" of the hobby/interest/whatever was. For instance, I was once VERY interested in amateur astronomy. But, this is not something you can turn into a career unless you're a lot smarter than I am. When you're as dumb as I am, amateur astronomy is a hobby you have to pay to get into (and keep paying to advance to the next level).

Let's see. Things I had a passing interest in....

1. Various types of collecting (too expensive).
I've seen you say that you're dumb lots of times on here - but I've also seen you make quite a lot of very articulate and intelligent posts. There's no way you could express yourself as clearly as you often do on here if you really were "dumb."

I think you're being much too hard on yourself.

Also, I don't know what you were interested in collecting - but I've been a collector of books (some very old, some not so old - and some very expensive) - but it doesn't mean they always have to be expensive. One thing I've done quite a lot of is buy things at very low prices on places like ebay and then sell them later for a lot more.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 04:09 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I've seen you say that you're dumb lots of times on here - but I've also seen you make quite a lot of very articulate and intelligent posts. There's no way you could express yourself as clearly as you often do on here if you really were "dumb."

I think you're being much too hard on yourself.

Also, I don't know what you were interested in collecting - but I've been a collector of books (some very old, some not so old - and some very expensive) - but it doesn't mean they always have to be expensive. One thing I've done quite a lot of is buy things at very low prices on places like ebay and then sell them later for a lot more.
Well, you would probably think different if you saw me without a spell checker and 45 minutes to compose a fairly coherent post. I don't do chat rooms. Guess why. I type with maybe five fingers and I type at probably about 1/5th the speed of just about anyone else.

My posts on here are almost a sham. This is the only way that I can express myself well in any way, shape or form. It is not a smooth process. It's usually agonizing. And a lot of the stuff I have said on here is stuff I have been saying for 20 years so I'm just good at pulling the same old points up over and over because I've done it so many times. I'm rarely expressing anything I haven't said before.

Yes. If you give me enough time I can sort of make some decent points. That's the only thing I've ever been good at. Believe it or not.

/WYSD
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 05:09 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Grumpy
Quote:
Well, you would probably think different if you saw me without a spell checker and 45 minutes to compose a fairly coherent post. I don't do chat rooms. Guess why. I type with maybe five fingers and I type at probably about 1/5th the speed of just about anyone else.

My posts on here are almost a sham. This is the only way that I can express myself well in any way, shape or form. It is not a smooth process. It's usually agonizing. And a lot of the stuff I have said on here is stuff I have been saying for 20 years so I'm just good at pulling the same old points up over and over because I've done it so many times. I'm rarely expressing anything I haven't said before.

Yes. If you give me enough time I can sort of make some decent points. That's the only thing I've ever been good at. Believe it or not.
I like reading your posts here. As for me, no hobbies at this time. Not much interests me and I feel like I don’t have the time or patience (especially in my current mood) to take on anything. Wish I did though because it might make me feel at least a bit better or more hopeful.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:21 AM
SAS Member

Quote:

How fast you type is not an indication of intelligence. Right now I'm typing with about 2 fingers. And I know I'm intelligent - I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. These things are always relative though of course. (my mental illness in general plus a truck-load of medication might sometimes make that hard to believe)

I remember in one of the courses I did - I think it was the library one I did when I was about 25 or something, we had to do a typing class. I waited until the teacher was in a different part of the room and then I typed (with 2 fingers again) as fast as I could. I got an "A." (I really don't like getting "B"'s.)
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 10:28 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
I don't think @WillYouStopDave is dumb, I've certainly met alot dumber at least.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page