Top Reasons why people contemplate suicide - Social Anxiety Forum
Closed Thread

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Top Reasons why people contemplate suicide

I was suicidal for years and during that time I came to know a lot of other people who are suicidal and so forth. Well this in not an official list and this list is not necessarily in any specific order. This is just a list I have come across in my life of the top main reasons why people usually want to end their life by committing suicide.

1) Some kind of chronic illness, disease or disability that is painful and hard to deal with and or incurable

2) Major financial problems. Like overwhelming debt or having lost all they ever worked for > or just ongoing poverty

3)Suffering mentally and or emotionally through some type of abuse that they have been through and finally cant take it anymore.. this could be from a spouse or a parent or some other means.

4) Loss of a close loved one. > like maybe their life partner died or their child suddenly died and they cant take the loss and feel they have no reason to go on

5) Suffering some type of social pain. Like maybe they did some weird thing that got caught on tape and now the tape is circulating and they cant stand the social pain of it.

6) Suffering some type of bad addiction and cant take it anymore. This could be drugs or alcohol or some other thing

7) Mental illness. Some people have been battling mental illness issues for a long time and cant cope with it anymore.. like maybe they hear voices or cant concentrate or have some other mental disease such as autism, schizophrenia, Asperger's, bi-polar or other types of mental illnesses.

Loneliness. Yup some people have been without a spouse for a long time and or maybe don't even have any friends so the loneliness gets so bad they just end it. There are even people who were rich and famous in life who have ended their own life because they said they were so lonely.

9) People facing prison time or some other unbearable consequences for their actions. Yup > I have seen this happen. A person winds up getting caught for something that they will wind up in prison for the rest of their life so before the trial comes or before they get sentenced > they end it.

10) Bullying or emotional abuse. Yup > some people have been bullied or mentally abused by somebody over and over and finally the pain of it all causes them to end it

11) Feeling like a failure in life. I have seen this. some people feel like they should have achieved certain things by a certain age and if they can achieve those things some people feel like such a failure they end it.

12) Religious persecution. I have seen this many times. A person might have been brought up in some religion that tells them that certain things in life are SINS against God and that they will go to hell if they ever do those things. And if they have gone out and done some of those things > the fear of Hell or fear of God or fear that other religious people will hate them causes them to end it.

13) Embarrassment. Some people have been caught doing something very embarrassing and if and when it comes out publicly they cant stand the heat and want to kill themselves > this is similar to number 5

14) Feeling like there is no real purpose in life. Some people get like this > they just have this view of the world that there is no purpose to their existence so they want to end it

15) Failed Dreams. Some people had big dreams to want to accomplish certain things in life and if they come to a conclusion that their big dreams are probably not going to happen they want to end it

16) Guilt. Some people have done some bad thing in life. Like maybe they hurt somebody really bad or maybe even killed somebody when they were drunk or on drugs or committed some heinous crime or something along those lines and now the guilt of what they have done causes them to feel like they do not deserve to live anymore so they want to end it

17) People who cant stand all the evil in the world and just want to leave this life. I have seen this many times. some people read the news all the time and focus on all the bad things that go on in the world and then they lose faith in humanity and just want to die and go away from this world so they end it

1 Fascination with death. Yup > some people just at some point in their life > just become fascinated with death and want to experience it so they end it

19) Bizarre Belief systems. There are some people who develop some kind of weird belief system where they feel like suicide is something they are supposed to do. sometimes these beliefs come through religious cults or something along those lines.

20) Sick of life. Some people just get to a point where they are just tired of going through the motions of life and just don't want to do it anymore so they end it.

21) Government oppression. Yes in some countries The governments are really bad > like the government takes away the peoples rights and or oppresses them with harsh laws and rules and some people cant take it anymore and just want to end it

22) Post Traumatic stress disorder. Some people have been in a war or some other bad violent or hurtful experience and even though they survived it > the mental anguish of the memories causes them to suffer for a long time and often they cant take it anymore and just end it.

23) Loss of HOPE. Some people just lose Hope in life. They just lose Hope that life will ever be good for them so they end it.

24)Fear of some kind of impending pain. Like maybe a person has an enemy that has threatened to hunt them down and hurt them > or maybe an organized crime ring is out to get them so instead of waiting for that to happen they end their life themselves

25) Loss of freedom. Some people wind up becoming a slave to some other person or group and after sometime of having to live like a slave > they end their life because they have no freedom. Examples would include people who are kidnapped or people who were sold into sex slavery and stuff along those lines

26) Racism. Some people are born into some type of race or class of people and in the area where they live it might be really hard to be that type of race or class of people and some people just wind up ending it because of that.

27) Feeling like their life is just over. Some people when they get to a certain age > they feel like their life is just over and feel like its just time to die so they end it

2 Fear of torture. Yes in some places on earth > sometimes a regime rises up that will capture people and torture them. and sometimes a person who feels like they might get captured and tortured might end their life themselves to avoid such a thing.

29) Homelessness. Often if a person winds up homeless in life they might not be able to cope with that so they end it.

30) Loss of JOY in life. Yes, some people come to a place in life where they just cant seem to find any joy in life so they decide to end it. Like they get to a place where all the things they used to do that used to bring them joy in life they cant enjoy anymore.. so they just end it.

31) Unable to live up to their obligations. Yes, some people come to a place where they have all these obligations pending on them and if they feel like they cant live up to and meet those obligations they just end it. This can be situations like where a person has gone out and fathered some kids.. but comes to a place where they cannot provide for the kids and or cannot live up to the role of being a proper parent then they might end it. Other obligations can bring this on too such as family obligations, work obligations, financial obligations and so forth.

32) Identity crises. Some people come to a place where they go through a big identity crises... where they suddenly feel like they do not like who they are or who they have been... and are not happy being who they are and just want to end it. Sometimes a person may be unhappy with their gender like maybe they were born a man but truly desire to be a woman etc or maybe they are unhappy that they have come to discover that they have never been true to themselves in life and maybe don't even know who or what they want to be in life so they might end it their life over a massive identity crisis.

33) Ongoing Oppression by some powerful people or group. This can sometimes happen in life. A person may be rich, successful and maybe even famous.. but then some powerful people or group of people comes and blackmails them for money, or might threaten to destroy them in some way or threaten their loved ones if they don't do certain things or adhere to what they tell them to do or if they talk about something they don't want them to talk about.. and the pressure of this oppression might cause them to end it.

There are more reasons > but off the top of my head I just made up that list

If you have any you want to add to the list feel free to post about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:02 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

You could probably add 'a feeling of being helpless to overcome your problems' to the list.

Learned helplessness is the definition of depression (according to Martin Seligman).
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:15 AM
SAS Member

I always thought that the assumption of immutability of one's situation was the essence of the issue in most scenarios, which don't involve psychotic people. It robs you of your identity/future.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Monster

We're not allowed to discuss suicide per guidlines

I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar. I am the son and heir of nothing in particular.

You shut your mouth. How can you say I go about things the wrong way? I am human and I need to be loved, just like everybody else does.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:45 AM
SAS Member

Aaaah that's boring. We have to KNOW what we fear. Censoring will only raise our voices! And all that...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Permanently Banned

Language: American
The only reason that could male me commit suicide is losing all my money .
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Cool
i would lend you some TIH.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Winter Is Here

My Mood: Drunk
In summary, I think the main reason is definitely the feeling of being too helpless to overcome problems. Life in the outiside world never stops, and sometimes people can reasonably suspect that social pressure will squash them soon enough. People are not even allowed to talk about suicide. So despite I'm not the depressed anymore, I still get the feeling.

When one person suffers from a delusion it's called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it's called a Religion.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:04 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by konas8 View Post
I always thought that the assumption of immutability of one's situation was the essence of the issue in most scenarios, which don't involve psychotic people. It robs you of your identity/future.
I think so.

This thread's going to get closed btw, you're not allowed to discuss this topic.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:11 PM
Untitled

Because Alt+F4

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:14 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Previously I thought that people who commit suicide do it after years of contemplation and deep thought.

Apparently, though, I have found out that much of the time people kill themselves impulsively with little time or thought going into it. Something goes wrong in their life and the next day they take a handful of pills or hang a rope around their neck.

http://www.businessinsider.com/many-...ecision-2014-8

Quote:
Anywhere from one-third to 80% of all suicide attempts are impulsive acts, according to The New England Journal of Medicine. 24% of those who made near-lethal suicide attempts decided to kill themselves less than five minutes before the attempt, and 70% made the decision within an hour of the attempt.

Suicidal urges are sometimes caused by immediate stressors, such as a break-up or job loss, that go away with the passage of time. 90% of people who survive suicide attempts, including the most lethal types like shooting one's self in the head, don't end up killing themselves later. That statistic reflects the "temporary nature and fleeting sway of many suicidal crises," reports The New England Journal of Medicine.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Disappear To The Wild

My Mood: Doubtful
8, 11, 14, 15, 20, 23

What is this?

Olive trees always request kind gestures.

Turn around, you're my A-Team
Turn around now, you're my A-Team
God damn, turn around now
You're my A-Team (Bon Iver)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Winter Is Here

My Mood: Drunk
4 8 15 16 23 42

When one person suffers from a delusion it's called insanity.
When many people suffer from a delusion it's called a Religion.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:44 PM
littleghost

My Mood: Bashful
@Riff Raff this is the third thread you've started about death. You're starting to scare us.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ...Eleanor Roosevelt
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:53 PM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleghost View Post
@Riff Raff this is the third thread you've started about death. You're starting to scare us.
I noticed this too actually. This section of the forum has certainly become quite bleak scanning through some of the threads.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Permanently Banned

well biggest reason for me is severe acid reflux, i get much pain of it and can hardly sleep and eat nothing. no pills help me and making a operation is not possible in sweden (becuse they have not find out how to fix it)i do know about a hospital in uk thought that can fix this, but i have no money.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:06 PM
littleghost

My Mood: Bashful
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljubo View Post
well biggest reason for me is severe acid reflux, i get much pain of it and can hardly sleep and eat nothing. no pills help me and making a operation is not possible in sweden (becuse they have not find out how to fix it)i do know about a hospital in uk thought that can fix this, but i have no money.
That's terrible. I went through a period of bad reflux, so I feel for you. Most meds didn't do much for me, but I've found that aciphex and nexium both work somewhat. Before they invented these, I had to have a procedure done to stretch my throat because it was scarred so much from frequent reflux I couldn't swallow right.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. ...Eleanor Roosevelt
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleghost View Post
That's terrible. I went through a period of bad reflux, so I feel for you. Most meds didn't do much for me, but I've found that aciphex and nexium both work somewhat. Before they invented these, I had to have a procedure done to stretch my throat because it was scarred so much from frequent reflux I couldn't swallow right.
i have had this since i was 18
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:03 PM
Merry Effing Christmas

My Mood: Brooding
Hopelessness. If there's no way you can be happy, what's the point? Some conditions can't be changed. If you know that nothing you do can change your conditions, and the conditions make you miserable, it's not irrational.

For forty-seven years I've put up with it now. I must stop Christmas from coming ... but how?
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 04:58 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Dead
I have attempted suicide three times using pills but failed. The reason why I have thought about killing myself were the following.

1) Being a failure in life and struggling to achieve my dreams.

2) Afraid of dying a virgin (Ironic right, because if I would have done it at that time, I would have died a virgin at that time)- I am no longer a virgin as of last month so this reason is no longer valid but leads to number 3

3) Afraid of dying without ever having a girlfriend or dating anyone

4) Afraid of still being a failure economically at 30 due to my laziness, lack of luck.

5) Being an ugly man

6) Worried that my health problems could get worse over time and don't want to suffer tougher times health wise.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page