Things you didn't know... - Social Anxiety Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-14-2021, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
alwaysrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: England
Gender: Female
Posts: 394

Things you didn't know...


Is there something you found out that you didn't know, happy, sad, funny, shocking etc?
alwaysrunning is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
alwaysrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: England
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
So I've been vegan for a year and I did not know that if a product says suitable for vegans it still may have been tested on animals which just seems completely misleading in my opinion.

I have been buying toilet rolls and it never even occurred to me that a lot of manufacturers use Gelatin to hold the paper fibres together.
alwaysrunning is offline  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-16-2021, 10:25 PM
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 33,354
My Mood: Relaxed
Simple things are not easy merely because they are simple. Something can be very simple and very hard.

That's not exactly a shocking fact that I just discovered. I think I discovered it the first time I failed really hard at something really simple. I just keep having to re-learn it.

/WYSD
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 01:28 AM
Loathed Loiterer
 
Blue Dino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,661
How much sugar a lot of the "100%" fruit juices have. I usually have a habit of mixing 1 part cranberry juice and 3 parts water in a 16oz glass. Even about 4-5oz of cranberry juice, I realized that's about equivalent to the sugar content of half a can of soda.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
Blue Dino is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 06:07 AM
❤️ Administrator ❤️
 
Silent Memory's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Gender: Female
Age: 28
Posts: 8,729
Our shower always had a glass door, so I wasn’t used to using shower curtains. Whenever I stayed in motels, I kept the curtains on the outside of the shower so they would stay dry, but the bathroom floor always flooded, which was annoying. One day, my sister must have asked me about it, and then she told me they go on the inside of the shower and are supposed to get wet. The floor never flooded after that.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Silent Memory is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 01:49 PM
😒🤡
 
PurplePeopleEater's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Fagonard
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,090
Some of these are mundane facts but some I find interesting.

That you can use vegetable oil on door hinges to get the squeaky noise out of them.

Apparently, spiders have brains in their legs.

If you live on a hill, it can't flood. Didnt know this until I moved onto a hill.

A car has a certain mileage limit. Thought they pretty much had no limit on them. If you don't put the gas on going up a hill it uses less gas and if you drive faster it uses more gas. And an AC doesnt make much of a difference with the gas.

Arthritis is worse for people in the Winter time.

Dogs and cats can smell cancer on you. But I'm unsure if cats can smell it.

Some tattoo ink goes into your bloodstream.

The part of your skin that ages the quickest are your lips, which I find weird.

Trees communicate through their roots and are actually pretty intelligent. Shocking fact to me at least.

Apparently, cockroaches taste like greasy, burnt fried chicken.

Tree work is the most dangerous job

Cant think of any more.
PurplePeopleEater is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 02:00 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16,603
I didn't know that even the tennis players that get knocked out in the first round of the Australian Open still get almost 100 grand.

I still don't think any of them should be here though - send them all home.
harrison is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 02:17 PM
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 33,354
My Mood: Relaxed
^ I've never seen a tennis player get knocked out. I thought it was a relatively safe sport unless John McEnroe was involved and victimized another racket.

/WYSD
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 02:38 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
^ I've never seen a tennis player get knocked out. I thought it was a relatively safe sport unless John McEnroe was involved and victimized another racket.
Yeah, I used to love watching McEnroe go off.

Knocked out as in losing the first match they play. Seems like a lot of money to me. At the moment we've got a huge pile of them locked in their hotel rooms in quarantine because of the virus. Bit of a mess really.

I like how this clip makes me feel like a perfectly rational human being. (in comparison to him.) I do think someone should speak to him about those shorts though - a bit too short if you ask me.


harrison is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 07:02 PM
insert witty comment here
 
Lisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
How much sugar a lot of the "100%" fruit juices have. I usually have a habit of mixing 1 part cranberry juice and 3 parts water in a 16oz glass. Even about 4-5oz of cranberry juice, I realized that's about equivalent to the sugar content of half a can of soda.
Is that added sugar or fruit sugar? All/ most fruits contain a lot of sugar.
Lisa is offline  
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 07:31 PM
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 33,354
My Mood: Relaxed
I did not know that Hawaii has a chicken problem.

@Orb

/WYSD
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 08:43 PM
Loathed Loiterer
 
Blue Dino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Is that added sugar or fruit sugar? All/ most fruits contain a lot of sugar.

These are the fruit juices jugs I get from grocery stores like these. So they are mostly added sugar rather than real fruit sugar. Despite their 100% juice moniker on the label. I just mix it like these with water and apple cider vinegar time to time when I get bored of drinking straight water so much. The real pure cranberry juice are so expensive and they taste rather unpleasant.




What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
Blue Dino is offline  
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 09:08 PM
Moderator
 
WillYouStopDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: United States
Gender: Male
Age: 47
Posts: 33,354
My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
The real pure cranberry juice are so expensive and they taste rather unpleasant.



I don't like that kind of cranberry juice either. I've never been a big fan of juice anyway though.

/WYSD
WillYouStopDave is offline  
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2021, 09:14 PM
Loathed Loiterer
 
Blue Dino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 7,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I don't like that kind of cranberry juice either. I've never been a big fan of juice anyway though.

I don't either. But found out it tastes much better when diluted. Without doing so, it does taste way too sweet and cough syrup-ish.

What goes up, will inevitably come back down. Whoever you have to step on when you go up, you will be at their mercy when you go down.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
Blue Dino is offline  
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
alwaysrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: England
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
Our shower always had a glass door, so I wasn’t used to using shower curtains. Whenever I stayed in motels, I kept the curtains on the outside of the shower so they would stay dry, but the bathroom floor always flooded, which was annoying. One day, my sister must have asked me about it, and then she told me they go on the inside of the shower and are supposed to get wet. The floor never flooded after that.
I love this; this is so sweet haha. Reminds me of a time when I put our clothes on an indoor clothes horse and put pegs on each individual item even though it was indoors; sometimes they fall off haha.
alwaysrunning is offline  
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
alwaysrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: England
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Simple things are not easy merely because they are simple. Something can be very simple and very hard.

That's not exactly a shocking fact that I just discovered. I think I discovered it the first time I failed really hard at something really simple. I just keep having to re-learn it.
Exactly What one person finds really simple another person will really struggle with and vice versa.
alwaysrunning is offline  
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
alwaysrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: England
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dino View Post
These are the fruit juices jugs I get from grocery stores like these. So they are mostly added sugar rather than real fruit sugar. Despite their 100% juice moniker on the label. I just mix it like these with water and apple cider vinegar time to time when I get bored of drinking straight water so much. The real pure cranberry juice are so expensive and they taste rather unpleasant.



100% juice on the label makes you think nothing else and then they add a truck load of sugar lol. Years back I did buy cranberries and was cooking them on the stove as I thought it would be healthier to have them that way but there's no way they can be eaten without a load of sugar or sweetener.
alwaysrunning is offline  
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
alwaysrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: England
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater View Post
Some of these are mundane facts but some I find interesting.

That you can use vegetable oil on door hinges to get the squeaky noise out of them.

Apparently, spiders have brains in their legs.

If you live on a hill, it can't flood. Didnt know this until I moved onto a hill.

A car has a certain mileage limit. Thought they pretty much had no limit on them. If you don't put the gas on going up a hill it uses less gas and if you drive faster it uses more gas. And an AC doesnt make much of a difference with the gas.

Arthritis is worse for people in the Winter time.

Dogs and cats can smell cancer on you. But I'm unsure if cats can smell it.

Some tattoo ink goes into your bloodstream.

The part of your skin that ages the quickest are your lips, which I find weird.

Trees communicate through their roots and are actually pretty intelligent. Shocking fact to me at least.

Apparently, cockroaches taste like greasy, burnt fried chicken.

Tree work is the most dangerous job

Cant think of any more.
What happens if a spider loses one of it's legs I wonder, awww. Like a cockroach can apparently live for approximately one week without it's head
alwaysrunning is offline  
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member
 
alwaysrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: England
Gender: Female
Posts: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Yeah, I used to love watching McEnroe go off.

Knocked out as in losing the first match they play. Seems like a lot of money to me. At the moment we've got a huge pile of them locked in their hotel rooms in quarantine because of the virus. Bit of a mess really.

I like how this clip makes me feel like a perfectly rational human being. (in comparison to him.) I do think someone should speak to him about those shorts though - a bit too short if you ask me.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MbxD-0BDpM
"You can't be serious man, you cannot be serious!" woah haha.
alwaysrunning is offline  
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2021, 06:29 PM
bipolar
 
harrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysrunning View Post
"You can't be serious man, you cannot be serious!" woah haha.
When you mention the name McEnroe to anyone over about 55 - that's probably the first thing they remember about him.
harrison is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome