Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

The languages' thread

2K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  Ai 
#1 · (Edited)
Post here the language(s) you:
-speak.
-are trying to learn.
-tried to learn but was too difficult (or didn't had time for, were too shy for classes, or other reason). :bash
-think it's the most interesting or beautiful. :mushy
-thinking it's the most horrible or difficult. :puke

Also:
  1. Why did you learned (or tried to) a second language? Was it too difficult?
  2. Why are you trying to learn another language?
  3. Are you using an app, course or method for learning?
  4. When in school were you ever obligated to learn another language? How was it?
  5. Tips for learning another language.
  6. Are you seeking for people to practice with? (the targeted language). How would you like to do such kind of interchanges? (if so).
  7. Whatever you want to add to this :grin2:
I know, too many questions, you can reply one, all, a combination or, of course, neither of those question. :nerd:

Lets talk. This isn't the think in another language thread, however posting in other languages is allowed for the sake of the discussion, like explaining things that you found confusing, cute, complicated etc... *about such language (well, if mods agreed? lol :con).

See less See more
#3 ·
-speak.
-are trying to learn.
-tried to learn but was too difficult (or didn't had time for, were too shy for classes, or other reason). :bash

Also:
  4. When in school were you ever obligated to learn another language? How was it?
  6. Are you seeking for people to practice with? (the targeted language). How would you like to do such kind of interchanges? (if so).
I know, too many questions, you can reply one, all, a combination or, of course, neither of those question. :nerd:

Lets talk. This isn't the think in another language thread, however posting in other languages is allowed for the sake of the discussion, like explaining things that you found confusing, cute, complicated etc... (well, if mods agreed? lol :con).
English and the language of love, mon cherie :)

Also, done well at French and German at school but forgot pretty much all the German. May be able to get by in France with a combination of speaking the odd single word, pointing at stuff and the threat of violence.

What about you Susy ?

#6 ·
English and the language of love, mon cherie :)

What about you Susy ?
I need to learn the language of love :O, there is so much to win with it.

I was forced, basically, to learn English when I was in school, it was horrible, didn't learn anything lol, I have learned the most using forums :blush lol, also I did a two months curse that helped me to speak/write all this gibberish way lol.

I was trying to learn Portuguese for a trip I was planning to do this past December (gor ruined it) :crying:, so I kind of lost motivation about it. I can understand about 65% when listening/watching videos, about 45% read, however cannot write it or speak it a single bit, this is because Portuguese as well as Spanish are Romance languages, they have lots of cognates and similarities in general, so given a context it's somewhat easy to predict what people's talking about.

I spent about two months trying to learn Japanese (not so seriously) but quit after having some weird kanji dreams lol, it was like having the Tetris' effect, although I wasn't trying hard maybe my brain didn't saw it the same way? I guess lol.

I'm learning German from Rammstein songs :p
That's an interesting way to learn, good for the listening, I still have a hard time picking up lyrics in English, sometimes other audios (such as videos, are difficult, specially if not American English), that's a bit frustrating but I'm willing to work on it.

Este thread me gusta :D
Me gusta que te guste :D.

Are you using an app, course or method for learning?
Yes Duolingo. Awesome app. It lacks grammar tho. So I use 2 other different websites alongside it. One has great grammar lessons and the other has great online exercises.
Which sites? :O I'm very curios now!

#5 ·
Este thread me gusta :D

Speak.
Farsi, English

Are trying to learn.
Spanish

Tried to learn but was too difficult (or didn't had time for, were too shy for classes, or other reason).
Arabic: Didn't actually try to learn it. It was part of school schedule. But I didn't continue learning after school.
Japanese: Influenced by anime. Said **** it quickly after starting to learn it.

Think it's the most interesting or beautiful.
Dunno.

Thinking it's the most horrible or difficult.
Spanish? :b
(Other than tenses you guys have moods for verbs! That's a whole new set of rules to learn. Why??)

Why did you learned (or tried to) a second language? Was it too difficult?
Because everything speaks English. I can't say it was difficult because I just gradually learned it over years, I didn't take serious courses. And comparing it to Spanish and Arabic it's easy AF.

Why are you trying to learn another language?
Because I wanted to do something useful with my time. Also because Spanish is spoken in a lot of countries and I can get to know their people and their societies better. Also I like South America. Also Spanish sounds nice.

Are you using an app, course or method for learning?
Yes Duolingo. Awesome app. It lacks grammar tho. So I use 2 other different websites alongside it. One has great grammar lessons and the other has great online exercises.

When in school were you ever obligated to learn another language? How was it?
English and Arabic. Was very basic. And I was the best in class in both of them :D

Tips for learning another language.
Be patient. Watch movies and play games and read stuff in that language.

Are you seeking for people to practice with? (the targeted language). How would you like to do such kind of interchanges? (if so).
Not really. Everything tends to become a burden for me so I avoid creating obligations.

#13 ·
-speak.
-are trying to learn.

Also:
- I speak English and Spanish, fluently.
- I am trying to learn Japanese, as well as I possibly can.
- I took french classes in high school, but I didn't have the time to learn it with all the other subjects I wanted to take.

I'm a language teacher, and the only advice I can give is to practice as much as you can. It takes thousands of hours of exposure to learn another language, and repetition is the key. repetition in listening and in speaking. so watch a lot of you tube and read all the stuff that you find interesting and that you wish to communicate with others.

#14 ·
Speak: Serbian, English
Trying to learn: None (Right now. Want to learn Japanese in the future)
Studied: 1 grade of French (Then switched school), 1 grade of Russian (Then switched school yet again), English (Though I'm mostly self-taught through TV/Internet)
The best: Japanese (Sex for my ears)
Most difficult: Probably Chinese? I have a friend that's studying it, he's been complaining a lot about it being super hard.
The worst: German (Just hate how it sounds)

#16 ·
I'm getting back into Indonesian again because I'll be going up there again soon. I did it at Uni for 4 years and have picked up a lot when I've been there. I just use the books I have from before but I also use Google translate a lot just to look stuff up quickly. If you already know the grammar and pronunciation it's a good way of doing it.

I did French at school but that was a long time ago. I have a friend that lives in Paris now so I might visit her one day and try to practice - it's a lovely language. Would also like to learn a few words of Thai - I can see myself spending more time up there as I get older.

#17 ·
-speak.
-are trying to learn.
I speak English and un tout petit peux de francais
I'm trying to learn bits of Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian. I'd like to add German to that list too. Had a stint in Polish for a while (I only know words, not sentences). And Arabic is cool, again, just words, no sentences.
I tried to learn Arabic but I found the alphabet confusing as well as which dialect to use because everyone has their own slang, it's mind boggling.
Most interesting is all of them in their own unique way.
Most difficult is probably Russian maybe? Then again I found Polish to be easy once I got the hang of it. It's that darned Cyrillic. Pochemu?! It's like alien to me.

Why am I learning languages? It's just cool to know. And maybe I'll travel one day and not struggle in another country.
Tips for learning language: um... just listen. Listen to native speakers. Take an actual intensive class. Intensive classes are a good way to learn. And songs too. Because I'm a nerd, I took both French and Spanish in high school.
Me gustaria, je voudrais, ya kachu aprender, etudier, uchitsya a lot of languages. Even Tamil or Urdu. It's possible and fun. Da, kanyeshna. Sans doute.

This post has been deleted
#18 ·
Speak: Norwegian(native language) and english. (I can also understand swedish and danish because it's similar to norwegian)
Trying to learn: I'm not trying right now, but I would like to try and learn a lot of languages. Spanish, french, italian, russian and so on.
Tried to learn: Spanish, but I didn't have the time for it and then I just put it on hold. In high school I also had german for a few years, and I can understand some of it and speak some really basic stuff. I also tried doing a course in italian the first time I went to uni, but I was too anxious to be in class.
Most interesting or beautiful: Spanish, french. Icelandic is really interesting. Some asian languages are interesting to listen to also.
Most horrible or difficult: I think german and danish are not very nice to listen to. Chinese and russian seems like they are very hard.

In school it's obligatory to learn english, so that's why I learned that :) I liked it and thought it was fun. I've also studied it in uni, and I read english books and watch movies and tv shows in english. That and because I'm interested is probably why I understand and speak it well. I still have an accent when I speak it though :(
I also want to try and learn more languages, just because it's interesting and it's good to have some basic knowledge about it if you maybe go on a holiday.

#19 ·
I've studied Spanish and Japanese. I also understand quite a bit of Portuguese because I lived in Brazil (maybe 20% of what people say). I can't speak Spanish or Portuguese though.

I'd say I'm fluent in Japanese. I sound sort of like a 6-7 year old. I can't talk about politics or anything super intellectual but I can talk about day to day stuff just fine. Because of kanji and limited vocabulary I can not read books or the newspaper. I can sort of read websites. I can read about 1100-1200 kanji but you need to know over 2000 to really be literate.

#21 ·
I speak English. I've made halfhearted attempts to learn French but anxiety in the classes when I tried them was detrimental & on my own I've just not focused on it enough and languages really are use it or lose it prospects, especially in the beginning. I totally think being immersed in it and having to force yourself to learn the basics if nothing else to get by would work better for me. Either that or having a friend to constantly run things by if they didn't find things annoying for those initial stages of embarrassment in butchering their tongue, lol.

Regarding things that are unique the masculine/feminine aspect of it I also find tough because you are learning the words/phrases but then you also need to make a note of what has which kind of reference which is a bit tough for an anglophone. One that helped me a little was when a teacher told me to make a note of words that are used in both English/French and try to use them as springboards whenever possible while learning.

Anyway, I've always thought having a second language would open up culture & perspectives on the world that you simply cannot have being monolingual and naturally I've tried French because I'm in Canada. I took French up to grade 6 here in school but forgot it all afterwards & wish I had right up until the completion of high school. Currently I have basic French & Spanish courses on Duolingo but I've been procrastinating since the holidays started. I should get back to it as I find the lessons on the app very accessible

#29 ·
我一段时间不严肃学习好多语言,可是最多的时间坚持学普通话。我从来不擅长跟别人聊天(指发音),忘了一切。这可能太有趣了... :lol

Really, this is the problem I have with most everything I have half-heartedly studied... It becomes pretty useless when you can't actually converse with other people (especially out loud and in person). Use it or lose it, as they say.

Then I just give up.

I usually think it's fun while the motivation is still there, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.