Storms - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Storms

Do you like thunderstorms or rainstorms? I myself like them, it's exciting when the sky starts getting dark in the distance, and the storms roll in. The period between where it starts thundering and the wind picks up a bit before it starts raining, is what I like the best. Just the anticipation of the storm.

I also enjoy listening to the rain when it's quiet and in bed. Lightning I don't care for as much when it's close. Sometimes I like to watch far off lightning though when it's not a danger.

Last night we started getting thunder in the far distance around 5 PM. But it was far off. It kept storming far off for a few hours but then it started getting closer. Around 8 PM the clouds were moving over and the lightning got closer and we ended up having a very heavy rainstorm with wind right as it was getting dark out. Some of the thunderclaps were really loud.

Anyway I've always enjoyed storms. I also enjoy driving when there's a storm in the distance, especially in rural areas, seeing the grass and trees blow and the clouds approaching, etc. Although I really don't like driving in heavy rain at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 04:04 PM
Failure's Art

I like them as well so long as they are occasional and not when I'm planning on being outdoors. It's relaxing to shut everything off and just sit on the couch and listen to them and be in that moment. I also like snowstorms, until the next day at least when I have to shovel out my car.

I also really like days where it doesn't rain but is dark and grey all day. Like the sunshine too but there is something compelling about dark skies. Fits my mood somehow.

Everybody knows you only live a day but it's brilliant anyway
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 04:10 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Angelic
Yes, I want weather to treat me bad.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 05:11 PM
cuteness>hard labor

no they suck for driving
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by either/or View Post
I like them as well so long as they are occasional and not when I'm planning on being outdoors. It's relaxing to shut everything off and just sit on the couch and listen to them and be in that moment. I also like snowstorms, until the next day at least when I have to shovel out my car.

I also really like days where it doesn't rain but is dark and grey all day. Like the sunshine too but there is something compelling about dark skies. Fits my mood somehow.
When I was younger, I used to like days like that too when it was overcast and gray all day. Especially if I was in a sad or gloomy mood, and particularly if it was cold out. Now though I'm inside at work most days so I don't really care, but on the weekends I prefer it to be nice out on my days off.

One thing I kind of think is fun is when it's time to leave work, and there's a storm coming so we all try to rush out the door before it starts raining. LOL It's especially nice when you get all the way home and just barely get in the door before it pours down. It's like "whew I made it just in time!"
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 07:42 PM
SAS Member

I liked storms more when I was younger, but about ten years ago we had a really bad one where a huge tree branch came through our roof into the living room so I'm nervous about them ever since. I like a good rain, but when it starts storming bad I worry about broken branches and power outages and things like that.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I don't like lightning strikes up close though, one time I looked out the window during a storm, and there was a bolt that struck right in the front yard. It was so bright I nearly fell over. We do get those bad lightning storms during the summer sometimes, and I don't even want to think about the hurricanes seasons.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 10:27 PM
SAS Member

Yes I do.

It's great to lie in bed and listen to music or watch a movie.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 10:32 PM
S F C 0 1

Language: English
My Mood: Amused
Yeah I love them, could watch them all night

Tell 'em who the **** I am

SFC
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 11:11 PM
Pesky Pessimist

Yes. Brings a bit of fascination, excitement and arousal to the mundane. Since those are uncommon here.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2020, 11:27 PM
zkv
SAS Member

Yes, the planet's power unleashed. Thunder is awesome, but kind of scary too. We built this house with our own hands. Needless to say, it's built like crap. So one of these days when I'm marveling at the powers of the universe the wind's gonna rip the god damned ceiling out. Take me away, tornado.

I enjoy power outages as well. Mostly 'cause candlelight.

Flowers will grow from these wounds.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 01:36 AM
Royally F***ed

My Mood: Brooding
No. I'm terrified of lightning and tornadoes. If it so much as rains or gets a little bit windy I tense up.

Is it just me or is it getting crazier out there.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 02:13 AM
experimental sincerity

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Yes, I want weather to treat me bad.
Don't you just love it when it tells you what to do

(bonus points for your new signature, btw - my favourite lines from my favourite Shakespeare play -- I was just reciting the whole 'Tomorrow' part to my cat the other night when his brother died).

And to answer the thread question: I love thunderstorms too. I used to live in a warehouse with massive windows in the ceiling, and whenever it rained, it was fantastic. I miss those sounds so bad.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2020, 02:17 AM
bipolar

It depends. I like them if they aren't too severe - I've been in one or two when the excitement turns to fear very quickly. I was also manic in a big storm up in Bali one time and went out into it - I loved it at the time because I thought I was part of it but that probably wasn't a very good idea.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2020, 06:43 AM
Wayfaring Stranger

My Mood: Twisted
I love rain, storms and snowfall a lot. Rain is especially nice when it hits a tin roof.
Posted via Mobile Device

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page