So happy when you find an online person lives near you - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
In my shiny bubble

So happy when you find an online person lives near you

Anyone feel when they are talking to someone online on this forum or in SAS chatroom. And you ask them where they are from, and then they tell you (U.S or UK etc etc) any where aboard really.
But then you get disappointed and think ah shame because they don't live near you, you live in the U.S and they live in the UK etc and then that means you don't have a chance to meet up without having to go abroad on a flight etc or you don't have the same timezones, so it's difficult to catch each other online. And you'll never been able to be reallife friends just online friends.

It's such a good feeling when someone comes on and tells you, they are from the same country or county as you and it's like "OMG really! woohoooo finally someone from where I live!" You get better chance of easily meeting up without a sea inbetween you and you get a better chance of talking to them because they have the same timezone as you and you may get to become reallife friends aswell as online friends.

I made friends with this girl from another forum I used to go on and she said she was from Portsmouth. I was soo happy that someone just lived like 2 hours or so away from me. We haven't meet up yet, but i am abit nervous too, specially as she doesn't have SA.
I have two friends from this forum, who live near me too and wow, it's a good feeling. I would be delighted to meet up with them one day, specially someone who has SA

Anyone else from UK, England, Buckinghamshire?

And anyone else think its a good feeling when you find out someone lives near you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 08:01 AM
Your Assumptions

I have not spoken to anyone who has lived near, but sometimes they live elsewhere in the UK. I do not feel happy about such discoveries because I am unable to maintain offline contacts and have no intention of making any. The communication of the person you see here bears little resemblance to their communication offline. There is more reciprocation and vastly higher levels of articulation here. At initial meetings, you will get someone struggling to reciprocate, give eye-contact, and figure out social protocol; you might not notice the degree to which the behaviours are maintained cognitively rather than intuitively. Once you get to know the offline person well, you will experience the genuine article, and all you'll really get is silence, disability, whining, and odd manneristic behaviours/noises. Knowing that side is unlikely, however, as only lovers have gotten that far. Only one has enjoyed the company of the genuine article.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

I suppose it would be nice if it was someone who had very common interests with mine and is interested in doing things that I like doing.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
untitled document

Language: None
Yes, it gives me a little hope when I discover someone's in my region. I've never managed to befriend the people who are, though.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Super Meditator

Yeah its kinda nice alright. I met up with a fella off another social anxiety forum yonks ago and we met up fer a few beers and a chat. Ended up meeting up every month or so to catch up.
He's a sound fella and it was good to talk to someone aboot it all.

Also, there's 6 or 7 of us meetin in Dublin next month fer a meet-up and hopefully it'll go well.

I think theres a lot to be said for it. If nothing else, then maybe you make some friends or... whatever....

Ireland.... rescuing sober people since the dawn of time

"with you dub i will never be 100% lesbian"

A Kiirby is fer life, not just fer Crimbo
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgina 22 View Post
Anyone feel when they are talking to someone online on this forum or in SAS chatroom. And you ask them where they are from, and then they tell you (U.S or UK etc etc) any where aboard really.
But then you get disappointed and think ah shame because they don't live near you, you live in the U.S and they live in the UK etc and then that means you don't have a chance to meet up without having to go abroad on a flight etc or you don't have the same timezones, so it's difficult to catch each other online. And you'll never been able to be reallife friends just online friends.

It's such a good feeling when someone comes on and tells you, they are from the same country or county as you and it's like "OMG really! woohoooo finally someone from where I live!" You get better chance of easily meeting up without a sea inbetween you and you get a better chance of talking to them because they have the same timezone as you and you may get to become reallife friends aswell as online friends.

I made friends with this girl from another forum I used to go on and she said she was from Portsmouth. I was soo happy that someone just lived like 2 hours or so away from me. We haven't meet up yet, but i am abit nervous too, specially as she doesn't have SA.
I have two friends from this forum, who live near me too and wow, it's a good feeling. I would be delighted to meet up with them one day, specially someone who has SA

And anyone else think its a good feeling when you find out someone lives near you?
In a way. But I get really nervous in case they know someone who I used to know, and people from my past I want nothing to do with. But at the same time I do want to make friends with people who live near me as it's much easier to meet up and that. So yeah it is a good feeling but also (for me) a bit nerve racking also.

My best friend lives in Portsmouth too, met her twice, she came up to me first, then I went down to hers for the week by coach (yay go me). Never really made any friends online who lives close to me though.

Hope all goes well when you meet her though, and it's probably a good thing she doesn't have SA at least then she can lead the way kinda thing and you won't have to worry about doing the simple things like going to eat and that, well depending on how bad you are, so it can be a good thing .
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 02:18 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Bitchy
There are a few people who live in the same city as me on here. One of them kind of freaked out, and I don't think the other two know or they might not even care.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 02:33 PM
SAS Member

The prospect that I might actually meet people from online kind of scares me.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Sassy

Boston had a mixed bag. Some liked me, others didn't, and the feeling was usually mutual. I'd have been shocked to **** if I had found a fellow SASer while I was living in Juneau, but of course I never did. It would have been interesting though!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 03:25 PM
low
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgina 22 View Post

Glad you found a friend.

I can't say I have met anyone online from where I live yet but it would be nice.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:15 AM
SAS Member

I know someone i get along well with who lives about 30-40 miles down the road, but i don't think ill ever meet her. We are just too different people... although she did invite me to her wedding, even though she doesn't know what i looks like. I politely declined due to the potentially immense awkwardness.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:35 PM
In 'da 707

I get super excited because it's a rare occurance here.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 PM
Not wearing pants

I get excited whenever I see a fellow Ontarian, but I'm too scared to actually start up a conversation for fear of sounding creepy. Even then, most people are from Toronto, and it's a little far for a day trip.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:48 AM
Crazy resident stoner

I've met quite a few people online, and it's always been a good experience.
There was this one girl who lived in Oshawa at a dorm in her school, and we knew eachother online for about 6-8 months, and one day we planned a visit. Had lots of fun, and eventually, she came to Calgary after I left Ontario and lived with me for awhile because she wanted to try living somewhere else for a bit. I still chat with her every so often. She's the only girl who had an enormous crush on me but unfortunately I had to reject it. We were ok about it and stayed as friends to this day.

I've even visited online friends far away in the USA, marking the only reason I'd ever go there.

I would say it's just like making friends in person. Of course I have better results in person than online because I'm more a face to face kinda guy.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 04:42 AM
SAS Member

Since I generally don't know much about who I'm talking to when I find out where they live, I assume that I won't end up liking them enough to meet them. I have met a few people from here (at a group meet) that are a couple of hours away though (hence I liked them enough to meet them ).

last.fm

Where are we each and all?
Creatures run and creatures crawl
Spinning here on this ball
Creatures run and creatures crawl
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:44 PM
PreciousGleamingMcNugget

I've talked to a few people who lived near by, never met up, though, but talked about it. Trying to find a way to visit someone 4 hours away right now, that's pretty tough D: but doable...eventually o.O

nobody exists on purpose. nobody belongs anywhere. everybody's gonna die ~~

If you like pina coladas and gettin caught in the rain, follow me on Twitter @audreytheworst . I never talk about pina coladas or rain. But surely you like other stuff. If you don't, get some other interests already, geez.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 04:10 PM
SAS Member

I think it would be nice to meet people from here. I do feel like I am starting to get to know people more, and it would be so nice to be able to get to know them offline one day

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page