Smaller cities: How's it developing? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

Smaller cities: How's it developing?

Anyone here that lives a smaller sized city, how's it monitoring it's size? Is it roughly the same as it was a decade ago...two decades?

I live in such a city and in the past few years, it's been growing like mad and trying to become a mecca for the area. Whether it truly succeeds, will have to be seen say...five years from now.

I've lived here most of my life (a year or two I lived in a smaller town about an hour away) and it seems so different, yet still so boring as it's always been.

I don't care if it's dangerous or not...I'm going to town either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 09:35 PM
Broke boy

I live in Ottawa (small population of 1million or something) and not much of the downtown core has changed for decades. It is run-down and kinda looks like Chicago in a way. The suburbs have changed a lot with growing expansion, and there are more strip-malls, houses and restaurants on the main arteries however. On the main road in my town, it was mostly country/desolate area for a while, and in the past 15 years there have been a lot more homes in that area built as well. We are finally getting an underground lightrail after having an eternity of a crappy transit bus system.. They started building it in 2012 I believe and it was supposed to be ready for 2018, but of course the construction and engineers be struggling.. Besides that it’s a very boring, snobby government city.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:50 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I'm being a bit dramatic here, but having SA I often think of an episode before even my time. I was raised in a town of 5,000 people, and a great expanse of wilderness, where I could wander around for miles without running into another person.. Things have changed quite dramatically for me.

Every place I have lived, has grown tremendously, where I live now is absolutely insane.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 10:59 PM
untitled document

Language: None
My census designated place had 5000 people in 2000, 11000 people in 2010 and nobody knows how many now. The neighboring incorporated city has a fairly stable population of 10,000 through the magic of carefully drawn borders that exclude most of the people, like me.

Construction is a constant, even though the county is extremely anti-growth and voters go as far as to reject any road improvements they think might make it easier to develop land.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:21 AM
bipolar

I live in Melbourne which is about 5 million I think now - but I grew up in Sydney, also about the same. The cities here are a bit deceptive - because the central area isn't all that big, but they have quite large populations. They spread out for a long way.

Huge amount of construction going on in this city - they say around 2500 new people move here every week.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:45 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

In my suburb, which is one of the fastest growing areas, theyíve started building double-storey houses in the backyards of older houses. It looks bad in the photos Iíve seen. There are other big buildings being built in places they donít belong and look out of place.

New houses are being built everywhere, and I donít think itís going to stop. It looked nice when there were only canola fields.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:14 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Crappy
I don't really live in a small city. But it's smaller than Atlanta in Georgia. Still decently big.

I live in the second biggest city in Georgia. I was born here but lived like 30 minutes away then moved here almost 5 years ago. It's supposed to get bigger with more people.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Always on the Run.

My Mood: Pensive
I need to get the hell out of here.

Went to high school here, left for over 7 years, and now I'm back due to unexpected circumstances. My high school years were from 2007-2011 and this place hasn't changed in the slightest. It's honestly nothing but swamp, railroads, country town shops, and a large chemical plant. You're pretty much ****ed if you don't drive either.

"If you're going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:22 PM
Barbells and kittens

The town I grew up in had about 1100 people back in the 80's and 90's, according to Google it's at 1146 today. Nothing has really changed there. I've been in a nearby town of 1200 the last couple years. If the town started growing I'd want to move. The less people the better for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Is that what day it is?

My Mood: Dead
If you want your housing costs to sky rocket and the population suddenly explode with a dramatic culture that's very obnoxious tell some one in California it's nice to live there.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:54 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
The smallest places I've lived in have a metro population of 250,000. The first two places I only vaguely remember since I was a child. I do remember being quite impressed that a cow pasture was across the street and that our neighbors had horses. I was like...damn....we really have left civilization.

The 3rd town (in Brazil) I lived in as an adult. Was only livable because there were 2 public universities and did have regular bus service. But if you were really up for it you could walk to get around town- to the two universities, to the supermarkets, to the downtown shopping area, to a big shopping mall. Small town.

I've lived in other towns that have a smaller population officially but they are less than an hour away by car from a much larger big city. So I consider them part of the bigger city.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 03:14 PM
bipolar

I could never live in a small place - I'd go insane. People knowing your business etc - what a pain. Out in the country would be much worse - I need stimulation.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:08 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I could never live in a small place - I'd go insane. People knowing your business etc - what a pain. Out in the country would be much worse - I need stimulation.
That would give me anxiety but where I live, it's a decent sized city so it kinda gives me anxiety but not as much. I thought I'd have worse anxiety in the city before I moved here 5 years ago. Guess that just goes to show you never know how things will go. It worked out for me for the better.

Depending on where I an in the city, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get to my town I lived before moving here. Think it has a population of 7,000. Always thought it was a small town until I told a couple people how many people live there. I think it's supposed to get bigger there, too. My old town is still considered pretty small compared to a big city of course. Seems like a lot of people in the city I live in have been to my old town. I live in a city called Augusta in Georgia Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of job opportunities here. There's a lot of minimum wage jobs I can find, though. One advantage to living in the city and like you said, no one knows your business.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeopleEater View Post
That would give me anxiety but where I live, it's a decent sized city so it kinda gives me anxiety but not as much. I thought I'd have worse anxiety in the city before I moved here 5 years ago. Guess that just goes to show you never know how things will go. It worked out for me for the better.

Depending on where I an in the city, it can take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour to get to my town I lived before moving here. Think it has a population of 7,000. Always thought it was a small town until I told a couple people how many people live there. I think it's supposed to get bigger there, too. My old town is still considered pretty small compared to a big city of course. Seems like a lot of people in the city I live in have been to my old town. I live in a city called Augusta in Georgia Doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of job opportunities here. There's a lot of minimum wage jobs I can find, though. One advantage to living in the city and like you said, no one knows your business.
How big is the city you live in now? Do you mean there aren't many job opportunities where you are now or in the smaller town you came from?

Would it be possible to do some training or something to maybe get a job that pays a bit more? You shouldn't have to do that sort of work all the time. And then you might be able to meet a nice guy too.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:37 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
How big is the city you live in now? Do you mean there aren't many job opportunities where you are now or in the smaller town you came from?

Would it be possible to do some training or something to maybe get a job that pays a bit more? You shouldn't have to do that sort of work all the time. And then you might be able to meet a nice guy too.
It's got a little over 200,000 people. It's decently big. And there's not too many job opportunities in my city. Although, there's a place that pays 15 an hour at a Hobby Lobby. It's like a 30 minute drive in the city to get there but I'd still be able to save some money.

That's what I plan on doing.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:06 PM
SAS Member

I was born and raised in a small town in kansas of 15,00 and its still about that size. I guess the births are cancelling out all people croaking
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:37 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
Answer is simple: it is not...
Some really like to stay in stone age...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:48 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
I live in a ~100k city in Indiana (300k with the metro). When I came here in 2014, the city was a bit of a dump, but it really has improved in the 5 years I've been here, and there is a noticeable influx of new residents here.

It's... okay. I like the quiet lifestyle and, at the same time, a large abundance and variety of amenities in the area. Plus the living costs are some of the lowest in the US.
I can't stand the weather though: too cold in the winter, too grey and dull in the spring, too humid and hot in the summer, too rainy in the fall. People too are fairly unremarkable, with the exception of the spacious campus at the center of the city with dozens thousands students from all over the world.

Honestly, I can't wait to move to a nicer place. The most likely destination as of now is Tallahassee, where I will be moving in 2020. I've been there several times and I absolutely adore it!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 PM
formerly Shawn81

I hate my smaller city. It's drying up. Nothing new has gone up and a lot of the larger business have closed up. Takes forever to drive to the city to walk around somewhere interesting. Some big projects are planned for the city. Industry and tourism. I'm not really interested. I want out of this town, I just can't afford anything decent elsewhere, and can't afford to move to the town I want to live in at all.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page