Should a middle class person feel guilty for buying lottery tickets ? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Sad

Should a middle class person feel guilty for buying lottery tickets ?

So....I always battle with this guilt.
In my state, most lottery winners I have seen are always very poor people, or small businessmen whose business you have never heard of. I have never seen a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer, or someone else within this bracket win the lotto.

Makes me wonder if I shouldn't buy lotto tickets if I fall into this bracket.
I mean, I'm nowhere near the top of the food-chain in my profession. I have like no real savings, as a young man I still have the big costs of;
1) marriage
2) house
3) vehicle
4) studying a 2nd degree
to think of.

And sometimes I feel like you know... a lil lotto win would go a long way.

But then I guilt trip myself and start thinking "What if I do win, and then people start jerring about Vincymon, a professional claiming poor people's lotto money."

Am I being paranoid ? Or is this a real thing...is it considered bad etiquette to win the lotto if you have a white-collar job ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Worthless Garbage

My Mood: Dead
As far as I know, the middle class always gets taken advantage of with taxes and stuff. We don't get government help and we aren't rich. Don't feel guilty.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisigv View Post
As far as I know, the middle class always gets taken advantage of with taxes and stuff. We don't get government help and we aren't rich. Don't feel guilty.
Ha Ha. The middle class is like purgatory. It's easier for a poor person to catch a lucky break and shoot up into the upper class...than for someone middle-class to become upper class through genuine hard work.

Our salary isn't low enough to be tax free...yet it isn't so high that the tax is negligible. It's just within that range where the tax feels like chopping one leg off.

I shouldn't feel guilty about it. But everytime I fantasize about using a lotto prize to finance my wedding, buy a new car, buy a house or to further my studies ...the feeling of "I am taking money from ppl who need it" or "I don't deserve it" crosses my mind
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:42 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
I would only have an issue if people were using child support monry to buy lottery tickets.

For me, I would feel guilty about losing with a lottery ticket. I still could have used the money for something else .

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:46 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
yes

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75 View Post
I would only have an issue if people were using child support monry to buy lottery tickets.

For me, I would feel guilty about losing with a lottery ticket. I still could have used the money for something else .
How can you feel guilty about losing ?
The $5.00 you take to buy a lottery ticket what possibly could you do with that $5.00 that would be more beneficial to you ? Invest in the stock market ? That's gambling too.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 PM
untitled document

Language: None
Buying lottery tickets is essentially making a charitable donation to your government, which usually goes mainly to promote education so that the next generation will understand probability better and stop buying lottery tickets. If you're well-off, you should feel good about making your donation.

Your participation doesn't lower anyone else's odds of choosing the right numbers either, it only increases the chances of splitting the prize. If you end up splitting a hundred million with a poor person and feel they won't be able to survive on fifty million, you can always give them the rest of it at that time.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:11 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIncymon View Post
How can you feel guilty about losing ?
The $5.00 you take to buy a lottery ticket what possibly could you do with that $5.00 that would be more beneficial to you ? Invest in the stock market ? That's gambling too.
Nah, that's over a gallon of gas. I can use it to go to my "beach" in Ohio .

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:58 PM
The Groat King

This is pretty much the gold standard definition of a humblebrag
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 01:19 PM
Great White Shark

Language: Galactic Basic, machine language
You don't owe anything to anyone; do whatever you think is right for you.

At the same time, do realise that the chance to win a large sum of money in a lottery is so abysmally low, that you are probably more likely to die in a road accident on the way to the place where lottery tickets are sold, than you are to get rich as a result.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:28 PM
manic in Bali

No offence - but yes, you're just being paranoid. Buy whatever you want.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:41 PM
SAS Member

Language: Bad English
Where is this nitpicky guilt even coming from? (Spoiler: maybe from the history of your childhood)

Lottery thing is not anti-capitalist in its nature to begin with Not everybody would even buy a lottery ticket. Plus you're not taking any money from people with lower income than yours. I mean is this from the country budget? As far as I know, it's not.

I think if everyone will be this way then lots of people will find lots of these super small and often totally insignificant things to feel guilty about.

I can understand feeling guilty about buying things made by slave/exploitative labor (it should be less guilt, but more doing stuff about it to end it cause it's often even not avoidable). But I don't think you're exploiting anyone with the lottery. You haven't even won yet!

Sorry for my English.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

@funnynihilist
I'm not trying to humble-brag. I got financial problems just like everyone else. I've been unemployed for the good part of the year.

This is exactly the type of thing that gives me paranoia in the first place. People tend to look at ppl in my position and assume that everything must be perfect financially. That is the kind of thinking that makes me wish I could sign a contract with lottery to not disclose my name if I ever win. People love to judge.

Man I tell you, there are "small business owners" *wink wink* who make a lot more money than "professionals" ...because everyone 'assumes' that they are poor...so they keep getting gov't grants and assistance all whilst maintaining a fascade of "small scale"

But when you go to the local Amazon.com pick-up site you would be surprised who buys the most expensive items online....it ain't the Doctor and the Lawyers. Quite often the person who comes to pick up the big flatscreen Tv is a guy who supposedly owns a small garage, always dressed in fatigues.

What you don't know is that, the guy with the "small garage" also owns some apartments for rent, a farm, a fishing boat and a "small rental company" ...all off the books...likely tax free.
----------------------------
Recently I have really opened up my eyes to the bullsh!! games that people play and how the idea of economic class isn't nearly as cut and dry as we are led to believe. Plenty people live double lives.

I once met an EMT worker, who was trying to sell me a vehicle. This supposed "just an EMT" is also a part time plumber, mechanic, and taxi driver. He had at least 3 different vehicles for sale all brand new...and a fourth one coming. But his only taxable income is that of an EMT worker.

So whilst he technically... earns less than me... his real monthly income is at least twice mine.

So before you say that I just don't appreciate a good hustler. I can never hustle the way he does, because my job requires me to be on duty 24/7. My one job is taxable. So to the average bystander I am the guy in the labcoat...so I must be richer

So if the EMT wins the lottery he will no doubt talk about "struggling on the small EMT salary" and everyone will buy his BS.

If I win the lottery everyone will say I'm a bigshot who doesn't need it
I have to wear a suit because of my job...it doesn't make me the richest man in the room...
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:26 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryForMyEnglish View Post
Where is this nitpicky guilt even coming from? (Spoiler: maybe from the history of your childhood)

Lottery thing is not anti-capitalist in its nature to begin with Not everybody would even buy a lottery ticket. Plus you're not taking any money from people with lower income than yours. I mean is this from the country budget? As far as I know, it's not.

I think if everyone will be this way then lots of people will find lots of these super small and often totally insignificant things to feel guilty about.

I can understand feeling guilty about buying things made by slave/exploitative labor (it should be less guilt, but more doing stuff about it to end it cause it's often even not avoidable). But I don't think you're exploiting anyone with the lottery. You haven't even won yet!

the random nature of lottery is not right. distributive ethics would mandate money should be given to some people rather than others. this is like a voluntary tax to an arbitrary government which gives aid to people regardless of their position in life, entirely randomly. who would tolerate such a government? just because the transaction is small relative to your other transactions doesn't make it not wrong. ethics/fairness brings us from the random/arbitrary state of nature towards a reasoned state of merit/reward/...

this is sharing money within the first world. you live in US or wherever, and this amount of money is easily disposable. no one in the 3rd world is going to buy a lotto ticket.

anyway, obviously this is the smallest expenditure you could worry about, it is relatively inconsequential. but imo its wrong in principal. especially if you scale it up, buy 100 tickets, 1000 tickets. how good is it then? what a waste!

but also its recently been proven that i can't relate to the middle class so idk middle class people should do whatever they do.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 PM
lagrimas negras

Buying a lottery ticket is not a big deal. If I were you I'd wait to I actually won that jackpot before I'd start feeling guilty about it.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:07 PM
manic in Bali

I really don't understand why you're worrying about this mate - anyway, you must know the odds of actually winning.

I wouldn't want people knowing I'd won the lottery - but not because of any guilt, I'd be just worried about all the crazies out there trying to get their hands on it.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:38 PM
It's not easy being green

Language: Bocce... it's like a second language to me.
I don't think you should feel guilty so long as you aren't spending money you need elsewhere. That being said, lotteries are often called a tax 'on the poor' or 'on the stupid'. Odds are you'll never win more you'll spend trying to win. Honestly, you'd be better off saving that money, or investing it. It's your money, though. Do what you want

If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:16 AM
The Groat King

@VIncymon

I have nothing against people being successful and rich. But it seems like lately on this site folks have gone out of their way to let everyone know of their riches in subtle(and not so subtle ways.)
And they are certainly free to do so, but I'm also free to find it annoying.

But I'm probably not free to point it out...
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:28 AM
SAS Member

Language: Bad English
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
the random nature of lottery is not right. distributive ethics would mandate money should be given to some people rather than others. this is like a voluntary tax to an arbitrary government which gives aid to people regardless of their position in life, entirely randomly. who would tolerate such a government? just because the transaction is small relative to your other transactions doesn't make it not wrong. ethics/fairness brings us from the random/arbitrary state of nature towards a reasoned state of merit/reward/...

this is sharing money within the first world. you live in US or wherever, and this amount of money is easily disposable. no one in the 3rd world is going to buy a lotto ticket.

anyway, obviously this is the smallest expenditure you could worry about, it is relatively inconsequential. but imo its wrong in principal. especially if you scale it up, buy 100 tickets, 1000 tickets. how good is it then? what a waste!

but also its recently been proven that i can't relate to the middle class so idk middle class people should do whatever they do.
How do you share money with the 3rd world countries?

It's less about sharing the money and the feeling of guilt than working with causes of problems which could actually make those things change.

Yes, lotteries are not that ethical. But it's super nitpicky to say that the buyer of a lottery ticket should worry about it and feel guilty if they're middle class (?). I don't understand what's the difference between a working class and a middle class person who buys a lottery ticket in terms of guilt for the whole thing. If someone hopes to win a lottery that means they need money for some reason. Yeah, it's a waste of money and it's irrational, but it's this particular person's problem and it doesn't affect other people and they should figure it out by themselves some day. Maybe you should better think people who organize these lotteries should worry about the ethics.

This whole guilt thing reminds me of this picture:

Although maybe this picture is endorsing even more feeling of guilt, but the point of it is that nobody's really doing something that could change it or thinking about the real problem presented in this picture. In any case, unhealthy guilt is bad and unhealthy unless it's something you feel for a short time and that makes you act to change things to not feel guilty about it anymore. And in case with the poster this guilt comes from this general feeling of guilt he probably has.

Sorry for my English.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:54 PM
'internet nerd'

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I've seen some people describe it as an idiot's tax but I guess the fact that it's mostly poor people who buy tickets is even more insidious then that (and it is, in most countries, sadly out of desperation.)

There was a program on recently about one of the Spice Girl's daughters who went back to her mum's house in England in a working class area which is now a student area. I noticed her mum (the spice girl's mum I mean, she was also on the show,) invested tons into her daughters and it's true that they'll often try and pool their resources into trying to make their children famous via music/entertainment or football because that's more realistic than them working their way up any other ladder.. High risk/reward though.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

"Who are you to change this world?
Silly boy!
No one needs to hear your words.
Let it go."

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page