Science Geeks - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

My Mood: Doubtful

Science Geeks

Hi, are there any science lovers on here? I love Science and I love interesting facts about the cosmos. It's really sad sometimes that my anxiety has hold me back from so many opportunities. Am I the only one who feels like this? My fav all time Scientist is Albert Einstein.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 03:23 PM

Yes, it is why I loved the movie Explorers in the 1980's. Wondering what is out there.

Down our ways there is now a space program launching satellites.

In the woods they found.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:44 PM
raising your spirits

My Mood: Brooding
I love science, and read a lot of science books, but I'm not a science major or anything. (I'm actually really bad at math.) I've read a lot of psych books, but I've been reading a lot of bio-science lately: neuroplasticity, telomeres, epigenetics, synthetic biology, stress, and other related stuff. Not sure who my favorite scientist is. Tesla's really cool.

In science, ideology tends to corrupt; absolute ideology [corrupts] absolutely" - Robert Nisbet
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
Yes, I kind of wish I was better at thought experiments though quantum mechanics bugs me more than I let on. I kind of wish I lived in the near future where I could realistically go see other planets.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:34 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
anything which isn't human is lovely,
adorable!

seething humans everywhere. uurrgh! filth!
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo_Fernando View Post
Yes, it is why I loved the movie Explorers in the 1980's. Wondering what is out there.

Down our ways there is now a space program launching satellites.
That sounds fantastic! Have you ever visited that location before? Do you know the name? Where is that? I am so curious right now 🙂
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy666 View Post
adorable!

I understand how you feel but why do you hate humans so much?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
I love science, and read a lot of science books, but I'm not a science major or anything. (I'm actually really bad at math.) I've read a lot of psych books, but I've been reading a lot of bio-science lately: neuroplasticity, telomeres, epigenetics, synthetic biology, stress, and other related stuff. Not sure who my favorite scientist is. Tesla's really cool.
Not all scientists are good at math. Some of them actually hates it haha (just saying). But hey, you're interesting cause you've read quite a ton of books. Do you like anything about the cosmos?
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle Knight View Post
That sounds fantastic! Have you ever visited that location before? Do you know the name? Where is that? I am so curious right now 🙂
Nope. As far as I know it is on a private farm.

In the woods they found.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfegnugen View Post
Yes, I kind of wish I was better at thought experiments though quantum mechanics bugs me more than I let on. I kind of wish I lived in the near future where I could realistically go see other planets.
Well, I think NASA or any other space station should have trips to space where we can go see other planets but that would be expensive right?!

It's ok. Cause it's like that with me too. Somethings I just cant seem to comprehend no matter how many times they explain it.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. As far as I know it is on a private farm.

Ok thank you. Does that mean you are curious? haha
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
You're welcome.

Most rocket technology has been around for a while (since ww2), so is nothing new.

Ion propulsion is the way to go.

Simple in design and no moving parts.

In the woods they found.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Quote:
You're welcome.

Most rocket technology has been around for a while (since ww2), so is nothing new.

Ion propulsion is the way to go.

Simple in design and no moving parts.
Wow, I need to watch that. Thank you
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:19 AM
The Loser

Language: English, Dutch
My Mood: Crappy
I love science, although I never studied Science or Astrology (or anything else related) I still know a few things. Sadly for so far I know I'm the only one who likes science in my direct vicinity, and sometimes I get ridiculed for it by my own family.

"Like a book isolated on a shelf with no one to read it yet judge it for its amount of pages. I feel such way."

"Just because you're breathing, doesn't mean you're alive."
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDominator View Post
I love science, although I never studied Science or Astrology (or anything else related) I still know a few things. Sadly for so far I know I'm the only one who likes science in my direct vicinity, and sometimes I get ridiculed for it by my own family.
Well, you are not alone because there a lot of persons who love science and astrology as much as you do. But it's crazy why your family do that to you...Science is everyday life. And dont you have a right to love whatever you want?
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:34 AM
The Loser

Language: English, Dutch
My Mood: Crappy
Quote:
Well, you are not alone because there a lot of persons who love science and astrology as much as you do. But it's crazy why your family do that to you...Science is everyday life. And dont you have a right to love whatever you want?
Luckily I'm not, people always tend to roll their eyes or just give short answers the moment I talk about science. And that may be held true for you, and for my own as well, but not for them. They're more like the standard 'you need to party and drink etc etc' stuff, if you don't you're weird and different.

"Like a book isolated on a shelf with no one to read it yet judge it for its amount of pages. I feel such way."

"Just because you're breathing, doesn't mean you're alive."
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthDominator View Post
Quote:
Luckily I'm not, people always tend to roll their eyes or just give short answers the moment I talk about science. And that may be held true for you, and for my own as well, but not for them. They're more like the standard 'you need to party and drink etc etc' stuff, if you don't you're weird and different.
Or boring....like we dont wanna be like them. We love what we love. Some people can be so ignorant and aggressive...it's crazy! I would rather stay home and watch Science documentaries all day instead of partying!!!
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:22 PM
raising your spirits

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Not all scientists are good at math. Some of them actually hates it haha (just saying). But hey, you're interesting cause you've read quite a ton of books. Do you like anything about the cosmos?
I find all science pretty interesting. It's more a matter of having enough time to study it all.

I've always been interested in space exploration (who isn't? lol). I wanted to be an astronaut (briefly) when I was young (who hasn't? lol), though I wanted much more to be a paleontologist. I read every book my library had about dinosaurs and bought quite a few of my own. That was a long time ago, though.

I had a friend in hs who was really into astronomy. We went out a few times to look at the stars with his telescope and he tried to explain things like quantum physics and relativity and space travel and time travel.

I did a science fair project about Mars exploration way back in the 80s. Made my own little Mars surface with craters and canyons on a sheet of wood out of plaster and red/orange paint. I'd love to be in the first wave of colonists. I'd feel right at home. Have to brush up on my xenobiology and astrobiology, first, though.

In science, ideology tends to corrupt; absolute ideology [corrupts] absolutely" - Robert Nisbet
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy666 View Post
adorable!

I understand how you feel but why do you hate humans so much?
He probably won't answer, but other humans made his life hell cause he was mentally ill & different, wouldn't let him work & that we're parasites that are destroying the planet & he hates the word "YOU" & he's alone & his parents were old when they had him & wanted a girl.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truant View Post
Quote:
I find all science pretty interesting. It's more a matter of having enough time to study it all.

I've always been interested in space exploration (who isn't? lol). I wanted to be an astronaut (briefly) when I was young (who hasn't? lol), though I wanted much more to be a paleontologist. I read every book my library had about dinosaurs and bought quite a few of my own. That was a long time ago, though.

I had a friend in hs who was really into astronomy. We went out a few times to look at the stars with his telescope and he tried to explain things like quantum physics and relativity and space travel and time travel.

I did a science fair project about Mars exploration way back in the 80s. Made my own little Mars surface with craters and canyons on a sheet of wood out of plaster and red/orange paint. I'd love to be in the first wave of colonists. I'd feel right at home. Have to brush up on my xenobiology and astrobiology, first, though.
What changed your mind from being an Astronaut and Palaeontologist ?

Wow! That’s pretty cool 😎

I think you should give it a shot though...you seem so into the science field. And I bet you know a lot too 🙂 I hope I can learn some things from you someday? 🙂

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page