Scary places near you - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored

Scary places near you

In honour of Halloween, talk about some scary places near where you live. Maybe say what the place is, why it is scary, whether or not you've been there, whether or not you died while you were there, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:00 PM
nugatory

Inside my own head is pretty scary.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:05 PM
Spartan-092

Language: English
My Mood: Worried
School ( I don't go to public school but when I used to go, it was scary)

"He's not just a regular moron. He's the product of the greatest minds of a generation working together with the express purpose of building the dumbest moron who ever lived. And you just put him in charge of the facility." - GLaDOS, Portal 2.

"Protocol 3: Protect the Pilot." - BT-7274, Titanfall 2
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
banana enthusiast

My Mood: Bored
I went to a 'nature preserve' nearby last week. It's kind of weird because it's a long peninsula that juts out from the city into the lake, and you can get a really nice view of the skyline and the busy city from the end of the peninsula, even though the preserve itself is really lonely.

So I went there close to sunset and entered the preserve at the start of the peninsula. It's a really long peninsula and it takes almost an hour to walk to the end of it, which was fine because I went there for my usual long walk. There were already hardly any people there when I entered, but as I continued walking, there were less and less people because it was getting dark and they were all leaving.

When I got to the end of the peninsula, it was completely dark. On one shore, you could see the skyline. On the other shore, there was just the vast and dark expanse of the lake, with the waves crashing against the shore and the wind howling. It was really freaky, standing there at the edge of a desolate nature preserve surrounded by oblivion on one side, with the busy city visible on the other. All those people in the city had no idea I was here, all alone on this creepy peninsula.

[kind of crappy photos but that's the best my phone can do]

I could hardly see anything and I had to keep getting out my phone to use the light. I was walking in pitch black except for the sporadic moonlight, because there were no lights on the peninsula. A couple of times, I heard a sudden rustling in the brush because of some unknown animal, which startled me.

To add to the drama, the preserve was closing at 9, so I had to make sure to get out before then. On the way back, I got as far as a footbridge, which was out of commission. That meant I had to backtrack to nearly the end of the peninsula again and take the other path. I was afraid I wouldn't make it out in time, since that added almost half an hour to my hour-long return journey. But I did finally make it out in time.

I didn't know at the time, but I later learned that there are a lot of snakes (probably harmless) and coyotes living on the peninsula. And I walked alone in the dark right through their their territory.

So it was a pretty creepy experience, which I never expected to have in such a densely populated city.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:47 AM
A Tad Hexish

My Mood: Brooding
My friends and I used to explore abandoned farm houses when we were in hs. Two of those houses were purportedly haunted (of course).

One of them had a room with a door that had always been closed. We went there at night with the express purpose of opening that door, but by the time we'd explored the rest of the house and were standing in front of that door, none of us had the courage to open it and we all got out of there as fast as we could.

The other house was in much worse shape -- the roof was gone and the walls had started to cave in. It was supposedly the home of a witch many years ago. My friends left me alone exploring one room where the floor was caving into the basement and I got freaked out and scampered away as fast as I could. My friend took pictures of that place, but I don't have any myself.

I also lived in two places that were haunted (allegedly). My mother saw a ghost in the house I grew up in (a fact which I did not find out about until long after we'd moved out) and that place was legit creepy, especially at night. When I was really young, I used to wake up in the middle of the night and run around in the dark when everyone else was asleep but to this day I have no idea why, since when people were awake I was afraid to even be alone in a room.

The second place that was 'haunted' was incredibly creepy, but my gf and I couldn't really figure out why. I had all kinds of nightmares in that house, never stayed there by myself, and experienced sleep paralysis with a weird demonic face staring down at me from the ceiling one night. We also had something weird in our bathroom: the smooth surfaces (toilet, sink, mirror, etc.) would develop small red spots, like sprayed blood, overnight and we'd have to clean them off every day. I have no idea what it was, and despite living in about 15 places have never had it happen anywhere else.

I love Society. It is entirely composed now of beautiful idiots and brilliant lunatics. Just what Society should be.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:53 AM
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic

Language: English
My Mood: Crappy
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/skull-cave

This is the best I can do. :/

If I don't reply to you, it's NOTHING PERSONAL. It's my ANXIETY.

(Devetko's boyfriend Stan Brooks & Det. Reichert are horsing around.)

Det. Kristeva: "If it were legal you'd marry me, right?"
Det. Devetko: "Definitely."

(It's legal now!! But Kristeva's already married. ;_; )

"No canoes...no maple sugar...this place is horribly uncivilized."--Manabozho, Escape From Manitou Island
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 02:00 AM
Protector of the Den

My Mood: Confused
Hmmm, having trouble thinking of much but like the topic.

Have found it really creepy night walking in forests, especially when alone. But night walking can make any forest creepy. I'm thinking you more want places that have a reputation or give off a creepy vibe at all times.

One public hunting ground I've walked in is creepy. Can't really describe why. Maybe the trees look more sickly or gloomy. I think there are abandoned hunting blinds back there as well. one time while wandering deep in the forest near dark I encountered an abandoned metal culvert laying near the trail. Kept expecting something to be hiding in there when I first went by it and then when I came back. Similar to the one in the pic(maybe not as long), but just laying in the forest serving no function.

My dad's basement is kind of creepy. It is under most of the house, except the laundry room and a little room past the laundry room. Under that section of house is a good sized crawl space that can be accessed from the basement. It is bigger than most crawl spaces I've seen and is more like a place you'd have to hunch over than crawl. It is really dark in there and it has a good sized square screen door. Always feel like I'm being watched from in there when I'm in the basement. Doesn't help that a psychic(I'm sure fake) made a bunch of wild claims to my mom about the crawl space.

People claimed the ghost of a teacher haunted the basement level of the art wing at the college I went to. Not really creepy though. Just halls with classrooms and it wasn't that old.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 02:32 AM
Social Pothole

An old huge 10 story abandoned hospital in the outskirts of the city. It closed sometime after WWII I think and left abandoned since. There were lots of rumors of it being haunted and became very popular with local amateur ghost hunting groups and urban explorers. Lots of stories of people hearing female screams to doors shutting and closing by themselves. Some people also said that they were chased by pale rotten flesh woman in 1940s era clothing. Its popularity eventually it also attracted people to trespass there to hang out, make out, and do drugs. Police hated that place because they often have to go there to kick people out often.

I went there one night myself with some people who want to go and all I saw were a large crowd of goths and skateboarders hanging out drinking and smoking there. Probably more than 100 people there. They all had flashlights and the place was lit up. So it wasn't even creepy at all.

Eventually one night something sparked a fire and the building burned down. There were rumors that it was the police or city that secretly started fire on the building to burn it down, so they longer have to deal with trespassers and kids messing around there.

Fast forward to now, that plot of land is still vacant and burned rubble of the hospital is still there. But plans have been approved to build a new housing and shopping center development there.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:44 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
I'm basically scared walking anywhere in the dark haha, even going from my own car to my front door in the dark.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:53 AM
❤️ Moderator ❤️

This is about 40 minutes away, but it's creepy looking. It doesn't look as scary in the photos as it does when you go past it.
http://www.domain.com.au/news/richmo...160229-gn48y6/

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
❤️♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡❤️
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 01:39 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
One of the most haunted houses in England is within ten miles, and there was a famous witch trial near me in the 17th century.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:05 PM
SAS Member

I've been to this mysterious location many times but not at night, which is when a lot of paranormal type activities have been reported, historically too, ufo's, apparitions, ghosts, etc. They even did a paranormal investigation episode there for tv and honest to god, captured a very clear picture of an aliens, or ghost head, sort of peeping around the corner. As clear as day. Super creepy.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:18 PM
SAS Member

My dad and I used to go for walks at like 3:30am (his morning; my "night"). Usually, we'd stick to the main streets to lessen the possibility of being mugged, but sometimes, our route would take us through a park that has a small forest area bordering one side of it.

That s*** is f***ing creepy in the darkness and dead silence of night. There is some playground equipment and a swing set in one spot along with a couple lamp posts for some dim lighting, and it all combines to make for an area that would play pretty well as a setting in a horror movie. I'd comment that someone could be watching us right now, and we wouldn't even know it.

Totally different in the daylight hours. (I don't know of any areas around here that are 'scary' in darkness and light.)

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Silly Willy

I live in supposedly the most haunted town in Australia. We have a lot of ghost tours and stuff here. It's sad that I haven't had much of a look around the town, I tend to just stay home.
People say that during the day, at the cemetary, the sky is darker than everywhere else. I haven't been there yet unfortunately.

In the house my family moved into last year and still live in, we have an outdoor underground wine cellar type thing. Now it's filled with mud and frogs and stuff, we don't use it, but years ago two children, a girl and a boy, got trapped down there and died. Pretty eerie.

There's a rumour that a house in the town is haunted by a poltergeist and any pregnant woman who's lived in the house has had a miscarriage and was beaten if I recall correctly.

There's also been a fair amount of murder stories in the town.

It seems like a really boring town and I'm generally miserable living here but it really does have a lot of dark history.

There's also a tall building at the college where my dad works which is in a town near mine (don't live with my dad) and people used to commit suicide (or they were thrown out, I can't remember) by jumping out the top. I've been up the top and it is very creepy and uncomfortable up there.

And, not a paranormal thing, but the town where my dad used to live there was a walking path with lots of trees and stuff, and along the path a fair way in there's a very small building with two underground tunnels. I don't think your supposed to go in them but we used to. I'd always chicken out not far in, it gets darker an darker until you can't see anything, it's quite scary. I'd like to go back and have another go maybe if the tunnels aren't blocked off.

I'm glad to share more if you're interested guys. I just feel uncomfortable naming my town, that's all.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Silly Willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
This is about 40 minutes away, but it's creepy looking. It doesn't look as scary in the photos as it does when you go past it.
Wow! That's a really gorgeous looking place. I'd be quite interested in checking that out to be honest. Thanks for sharing.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 07:52 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
Yep, it does have a certain bone chilling feel to it. Like a Frankenstein house, heh.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 02:28 AM
Social Pothole

Just thought of another one. There is this particular hiking trail in the park I go frequently to hike that is supposedly haunted. Many rumors of people animals acting strangely there and dying mysteriously. Many hikers said if you walk on that trail, you will notice an odd amount of wild animals carcasses along the trail sides. Many hikers also said when they walk their dogs there, dogs will freak out and refuse to walk on that trail or behave oddly. Many hikers also felt like they were being followed. A few hikers even revealed they spotted a child-like small sized person watching them from a far and then would disappeared when they look away and look back. It got bad enough to the point that some hikers even posted warning signs on the that particular trail head of warn hikers of weird things on that trail and caution them before they enter. Lots of hikers avoid that trail as as result. It made the trail as very little used trail as a result.

I actually have hiked that trail numerous times myself due to convenience. But not once have I noticed anything odd or out of the ordinary. My dog never acted odd there too.

Eventually they found out all of the haunted rumors were fabricated ans spread by this one resident whose house is right on the trail head. Apparently they were annoyed at hikers using the trail and making noise when they entered. Also the trail head parking is right next to their driveway, so they got annoyed with people driving in and out. Signs were also made and posted by them. They were then cited for this and the park department agency tried suing them for spreading false haunted rumors.

The truth is strictly what the ones in power perceives it to be.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 02:48 AM
not quite human

I don't have GAD, so I'm not scared of any specific place. I'm just scared of having boring conversations with stupid people.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:23 AM
SAS Member

In the woods close to my home are the remains of a building that was a tuberculosis hospital during the Second World War and became an asylum in the 1950s. It's been abandoned for over 30 years and people still camp inside for scares.

It's definitely creepy. I wouldn't sleep in there.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:28 AM
🌸 女王 🌸

Language: english / swedish
Theres a nationally famous haunted house like an hour away from me. I spent a week working by it once a few years ago, and i didn't really get a extreme spooky vibe from it. I even went inside it once during the day (not alone) and it wasn't that scary. Though i was only in one of the many rooms. It was the same level of creepy as any house that's like 400 years old would be, lol.

In my village theres a pretty big house i always have to walk past that has been empty for like over a decade. I always find it a bit creepy to walk past it. I never dare to look into the dark dirty windows. It's right by the road aswell, no fence or garden infront of it, so you have to walk very close to it.

But honestly, i think my apartment beats them all. Always had a bad vibe to it. I never ever feel alone and the air is always chilly and things fall down and disappear that i have no memory of touching. Always hated it.

✨🌙 ✨ 외로운 눈물로 미소 짓고 있어 ✨🌙 ✨

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page