Saying grace before eating in public? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Language: English (British), German to some extent.
My Mood: Blah

Saying grace before eating in public?

Some months ago, I was listening to a report on the BBC World Service coming from an American diner, I think they were asking for opinions from people about Trump and the like. Think it was in one of the southern states, and what struck me was that the reporter mentioned some customers at a table saying grace before eating. That seems very strange behaviour to me, couldn't ever imagine it happening in a British cafe. We did say grace before formal dinners in halls at my uni, and I should think the practice is probably still especially found in some Catholic/other more religious schools/universities here. Has anyone ever seen it happening amongst people eating in a cafe or restaurant in the US?

his girl is a tortoise, wandering in the long grass and streaming rain, between fire and ice in a sense
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:11 AM
untitled document

Language: None
Never seen it. Californians tend to treat religion as a private thing (except for Mormons). Nothing religious would surprise me from the southeast states, though.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:48 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Never seen it before. Never even seen it in private.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president weve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:17 PM
SAS Member

I'd say it's fairly common in my town, especially if the people are older. My area and town tend to be pretty religious though. Some of the older people in my family do this as well. When I would go out to eat with friends, usually they would pray before we ate. It doesn't happen much these days as most of my friends aren't religious anymore, and I've never been one to pray out loud, so I just don't do it.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:08 PM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop

My Mood: Lurking
I have never seen it at a regular restaurant. The people shown doing it were probably the typical simple-minded southerners who are way too into religion.

In formal settings, it seems to be common though, for some stupid reason. The rare case where I'm in one of those situations, I try my best to not be at the table because I find the whole thing incredibly absurd and very disrespectful to people who aren't into that whole scene.

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:18 PM
Don
Fupa King

Language: English
Basically going to be more common in the Bible belt, southern states. There's even a restaurant with common Jewish, Catholic, and Protestant prayers written on the paper slips their silverware comes in where I live.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible_Belt

Life's Wack

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page