Official SAS Animal/Pet Thread - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Official SAS Animal/Pet Thread

Totally unofficial but I wanted a title to match the Official SAS Fashion Thread, SAS Beauty Thread, etc.

Anyone else here love dogs? My dog died about a month ago and I can't pass a dog in the street without commenting on it and probably petting it. Always drawn to animals and miss having one around me. I don't feel ready to have another dog for a long time, but have been thinking about adopting an adult greyhound next year. There are lots of them that need homes, and they're sweet-natured couch potatoes... sounds perfect to me. I've heard people describe greyhounds as "dogs that are sort of like cats".
I love the idea of having a small companion-breed dog that I could easily take everywhere with me, but it's hard to find them in rescue shelters. I would love to have a bichon frise as they're so sweet-natured, calm and don't shed, but I wouldn't buy a puppy when there's homeless older dogs out there.

Tell me about your dogs, cats and other pets, SAS. I wanna hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:09 PM
SAS Member

Language: I speak amurrican..
I had a black lab several years ago.

He was a handsome dude who loved to run and swim. My area is lacking pet friendly apartments so I had to give him up. Which I did find a family who did. but things did not turn out well in the end. The whole thing is pretty unsettling to this day to me.

Sorry for your loss.

-As always-
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:13 PM
Permanently Banned

My dog was a beagle and it had a ridiculous and annoying howl type whine. We let it get obese. He was so lovable though and loved playing and being pet, I miss having a dog so much. My friend has cats and I love playing with them. I really need to move out so I can have a pet again, it helps the loneliness so much and it just makes my mood a thousand times better. A coworker sometimes brings her pug to work (we have such a lenient office) and it came into my office and sniffed my legs. God I miss having a pet, I need one so much.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

It's less anxiety-provoking to be in public places if you have a dog with you. Part of the reason I want a dog is because it'll mean I HAVE to go outside every day to walk it, when otherwise I wouldn't go out. Even if I end up walking it at weird times so nobody's at the park, it'll still be a reason to go out of the house.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
My little friend died on November 2nd We still have two other dogs, one which my wife bought in a walmart parking lot a year ago, the other sort of adopted us by sitting around in our yard for a couple of weeks, he was abandoned.

Guinevere, the one that passed away was an unusual jack russell, she was very docile and always sat in my lap, or next to me.

Sparkles, is I believe a Florida brown dog, someone was giving away puppies in the parking lot, and my wife and daughter chose her. She is highly energetic, incredibly intelligent, and favorite hobbies include destroying my house.

JD (for John Doe) , is an incredibly loving dog. I think he is lab/bull mix.. He seems to have been trained, but someone abandoned him. He is a fairly big, but also a lap dog, he likes to smother me

There is so much to their personalities, I only covered the basics. Dogs are awesome though, I wish you luck in finding your little buddy

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:37 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
I just want to say. I ****ING LOVE CORGIS!!!!

**** the past
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:50 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
Also, I'm sorry for your loss. Losing guinevere hurt a lot, the worst part about owning dogs, is outliving them, they have such short lifespans I really do hope you find an amazing dog that keeps you company, and enjoys taking long walks with you.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 07:06 PM
SAS Member

I love animals and have always wanted pets, but I never had any. A friend of mine years ago offered us some puppies, but my parents wouldn't allow me to take them home because our we would've to pay a fee to keep pets in our neighborhood.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:37 AM
In Liquidation

Two labradors right now. They were found abandoned behind a Jack in the Box dumpster in the parking lot and adopted them. It was a young yellow lab along with a box of 4 black lab puppies, no more than 4 weeks old. I kept the yellow lab and one of the black lab puppies. Gave away the other two puppies meanwhile my cousin took the last pup. The black lab just turned 3, and the yellow is around 4.5. They would have reunions with the other lab puppy my cousin has a few times a year. Not sure how the other two puppies are doing now though.

My dad also bought a rough collie when I was a kid, but my mom didn't like him and gave him away to my aunt a few weeks later. He is about to turn 18. He's almost blind and cannot walk much, but apparently is still doing pretty well for his age. Loves to cuddle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
JD (for John Doe) , is an incredibly loving dog. I think he is lab/bull mix.. He seems to have been trained, but someone abandoned him. He is a fairly big, but also a lap dog, he likes to smother me
There was a stray lab/pitbull mix too that would followed me on my walk home from school for a few days straight, a 20 min walk. My dad finally decide to take him in for a week secretly without my mom knowing. We would hide in the garage and backyard. He was really sweet. Eventually someone saw our flyer and reclaim him. Hope he live well.

And sorry for your loss about your other dog.

Enjoy any good things, even the little and menial ones, as you will never know what impending distresses could descend upon you in a moment.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 02:16 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
I love walking my fish outside.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 05:23 AM
 

My Mood: Busy
My cats are grey, they are sisters.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:18 AM
Admiring beards from afar

My Mood: Lurking
I have a springer/cocker spaniel cross. We drove all the way to Wales for him. (He'd just turned 6 months at the time and was with a family that didn't want him)
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:22 AM
Not dead yet

I hate animals :/
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Devilish
I have a lot of fish, because they had a ton of babies. But other than that, I have 2 dogs and a cat.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:48 AM
I am average!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aribeth View Post
I hate animals :/
Why?
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:51 AM
uggla

Sorry about your dog, Lisbeth :<

that's what she said
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:54 AM
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisbeth View Post
It's less anxiety-provoking to be in public places if you have a dog with you. Part of the reason I want a dog is because it'll mean I HAVE to go outside every day to walk it, when otherwise I wouldn't go out. Even if I end up walking it at weird times so nobody's at the park, it'll still be a reason to go out of the house.
So true.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

@zonebox your dogs all sound like such characters! Dogs with quirky personalities are the best kind of dogs. Sorry for your loss of Guinevere - she sounds like such a little sweetheart. Hope the company of the other two dogs is a comfort to you.

What was it like having three dogs? I've only ever had one dog at a time, because my dad always said that if you keep two they form a little 'pack' and run riot. Never knew if that was true or not. I always thought it'd be nice to have two dogs, because they could play together and keep each other from getting bored while you were busy/out. Plus all dogs have such different personalities that it'd be fun to see the way they contrast with each other.

My dog used to make yodelling noises. I thought it was hilarious. She'd also run round in circles huffing any time she heard footsteps on stairs.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 08:24 AM
PreciousGleamingMcNugget

here's a picture of a dog i love so much that i spammed like a dozen ppl's profiles on here with it, accompanied by text that read: "look at this *****ING DOG. this is the CUTEST GODDAMN DOG. i am showing everyone THIS MUTHA*****IN DOG"

nobody exists on purpose. nobody belongs anywhere. everybody's gonna die ~~

If you like pina coladas and gettin caught in the rain, follow me on Twitter @audreytheworst . I never talk about pina coladas or rain. But surely you like other stuff. If you don't, get some other interests already, geez.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Permanently Banned

^ And for more of that, don't forget the Cutest Animal Thread, the only thread I'm actually subscribed to, which sadly gets very few posts other than me

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page