Names you like... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Has B... a ..nNed herself

Names you like...

My sister and her husband are trying to have kids. And the other night we got onto the topic and for about a half hour, were all brainstorming names she could give them.

My sister believes that female names don't generally sound as good and she had few she could come-up with.

Some interesting observations/facts...

- People like/dislike names, to an extent, based on people they know or knew with a particular name (e.g. if they knew an Angelica who was mean, they won't usually like the name)

- Names are said to influence people and cause them to either take more of an initial liking or disliking towards you. For example, for men - names that have an 'A' sound such as the one in "Matt", are liked more than names with an 'A' sound such as the one in "Paul". And the opposite is true for female names. And people base some of their first impressions, apparently on such details.

- My brother read or heard that names of upper class people tend to be more impressive. That if you want your kid to give a good impression, then a name that is currently popular in the upper class is better.

- My sister, (whether this is true or not) thinks that women who do well in life tend to have more 'male sounding names' ...she pointed out specifically actresses, like 'Darryl Hannah', 'Halle Berry', 'Cameron Diaz', for example.

- My observation: names I like others just hate! and vice versa!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM
SAS Member

Re: Names you like...

Please do not take this the wrong way. This is a site for fun. Some people take it too seriously. It is based on math, but obviously people are more than their first name, just as they are more than the grouping of astrological signs. It would give you some ideas though.

http://www.kabalarians.com/cfm/menu-BriefAnalysis.cfm
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:42 PM
SAS Member

What's in a name? I think there's a little more to a name than the name alone (some definitely sound better than others and are better received than others).

I've noticed frequently enough whenever I look up celebrities and the like that notable people with "strong" or "impressive" names weren't born under those names... They use a variation, mix their middle names into it, or use a different name altogether. For instance, how many supermodels or playmates use their birth names?

Some names just jump out at you. Overall though, the name doesn't make the person. The person makes the name.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:43 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Angelic

The stars and planets alignment tell me to name my daughter Emphysema. We'll call her Zimi until she's 18.

I am named after my dad (I miss him ) and my brother's first name is my dad's mom's favorite brother.

millenniumman75
You are a success story waiting to happen!
Live and let live VACUUMS more than a Hoover....
Live and HELP live is better!

TROLL ALERT STATUS:
CHAT -> BERT

FORUMS -> ERNIE
(troll activity on the increase)

WATCH WHAT YOU TYPE!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenniumman75
The stars and planets alignment tell me to name my daughter Emphysema.
Emphysema...? *cough*

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Lurking
What's in a name? I think there's a little more to a name than the name alone (some definitely sound better than others and are better received than others).

I've noticed frequently enough whenever I look up celebrities and the like that notable people with "strong" or "impressive" names weren't born under those names... They use a variation, mix their middle names into it, or use a different name altogether. For instance, how many supermodels or playmates use their birth names?

Some names just jump out at you. Overall though, the name doesn't make the person. The person makes the name.
My cousin named his first child, a boy, Max Lucas (and I won't say his surname but it is like...) Million.

The kid's already into motorbikes and only at 2 years of age has an amazing sense of balance!! He's also like his dad, something of a take-no-crap bully!! ..at his 2nd birthday he punched one kid (a mousey looking Jewish boy) and kept picking on him.

His dad is a CEO. And when my siblings and I were youngins, he would basically torture us. ...He hung my sister over a pier once when she was a toddler, used to play this game called "Sausage" where he'd basically put heaps of pillows and cushions on my little bro, sit on him and try to suffocate him!! ...I mean he stopped before my brother turned blue, but still...

So, yeah, we reckon Max Lucas Million... could be a bit of a go-getter when he's older! ...then again, some have the theory that children of parents who are bullies turn out as weaklings? -who knows.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine009
Please do not take this the wrong way. This is a site for fun. Some people take it too seriously. It is based on math, but obviously people are more than their first name, just as they are more than the grouping of astrological signs. It would give you some ideas though.

http://www.kabalarians.com/cfm/menu-BriefAnalysis.cfm
Tried it, I got this...
Quote:
* Although the name Elisa creates the urge to be reliable and responsible, we emphasize that it causes a blunt expression that alienates others.

* This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses through worry, mental tension, and tension or accidents to the head.

* Your name of Elisa has created a practical, responsible, stable nature, and you desire to direct the efforts of others rather than to take order or ask permission.

* You have a determined, self-reliant, capable nature and resent any interference, although in your desire to help you are inclined to become involved in the lives and decisions of other people.

* You like to make your own decisions and to be the master of your domain.

* You feel a limitation in your own expression when it is necessary to reach another through tact and understanding.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Too School for Cool

I like more unusual names. Not names no one can pronounce, and not names that are really common.

I like the idea of more masculine names for girls, and old fashioned names for both genders as well.

- I'mma be the syrup she can be my waffle.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 10:34 PM
SAS Member

Elisa, all the names have health warnings it seems. I looked for a near perfect name and I got Casper I think once as a man's name that was the best I could find. (but for some reason the reading on Casper has changed now and it is not what it was.)I'm not planning to have kids ever myself however. Whenever I read a weakness or negative in one of those readings I always think of the strength implied and the reason for the strength and I broaden the words. Many weaknesses is a strength taken too far and needs to be brought under control. It also may describe the type of stress you experience rather than the type of person you really are. It can show tendencies you have but they can be regulated and outgrown. It is only the starting point of when you were born when you were given the name. So I broaden the perspective but I also criticize the entire basis for such a reading since the last and middle and nicknames are also important as well as so many other factors in a person's life. I don't really agree with the site in totality but I think it is interesting and fun. I think people can improve their character if they wish and I never hold people to a name reading just like I don't hold people to their astrology signs too much.

It can also help you find a nickname of a slight variation on your own name. But ever since I seen how the Casper reading had changed I don't like the site as much.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:03 AM
resident classicist

That site is funny:

* Although the name Allison creates an interest in the deeper aspects of life, we emphasize that it causes a blunt expression that alienates others.

* This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the lungs, heart, bronchial area, and tension or accidents to the head.

* As Allison you have a great love of nature and the out-of-doors. This is the only part that's totally wrong.

* All the finer things of life and beauties of nature are an inspiration to you and you are attracted to the mysteries of nature.

* Difficulty in expression results in your being too positive, blunt, and candid in speech and although you are easily offended by others, you do not show it.

* You crave affection and understanding, but rarely find it as others do not understand you and accuse you of being cool and aloof.

* The average person would never realize the true depth of your nature.

It appears that I was doomed to have SA by my very name!

"[Hillary Clinton] is a *****. And so am I. *****es get stuff done. That's why Catholic schools use nuns instead of priests. At the end of the year you hated those *****es, but you knew the capital of Vermont." - Tina Fey
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Here are some names I like, though I tend to change my mind...

For boys...
-Luke or Lucas or Luca (Italian)
-Andreas (Latin for Andrew)
-Joachim
-Gianluca
-Bastien
-Bejamin
-Joshua
-Christian
-Jacob
-David

For girls...
- Sabrina
- Sophia
- Jezebel
- Sabina or Sabine
- Jasmine
- Salome
- Lalita
- Maya or Maia
- Ariadne
- Mia
- Sara
- Julia
- Juliana (or Giuliana like my mum's name)
- Lara
- Gaia
- Penelope
- Serena
- Annabel
- Delia
- Gia
- Lea
- Lilliana
- Liviana
- Lorena
- Seraphina

...now don't puke all at once!! ...but I like them.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 AM

Emphysema sounds like a skin disease

How about

Emily
Chloe
Elizabeth
Edd (only works with 3-syllable surnames)
Rupert
Tom

If theyre looking for something paticularly exotic and off-the-wall, maybe they could consider

for a girl-
Belladonna
Georgette (rhymes with courgette)
Wolfie

for a boy-
Draco
Neptune
Tutankhamun
Razor

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 AM

Judd
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM
User Requested Permanent Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTuesday
My sister and her husband are trying to have kids. And the other night we got onto the topic and for about a half hour, were all brainstorming names she could give them.

My sister believes that female names don't generally sound as good and she had few she could come-up with.

Some interesting observations/facts...

- People like/dislike names, to an extent, based on people they know or knew with a particular name (e.g. if they knew an Angelica who was mean, they won't usually like the name)

- Names are said to influence people and cause them to either take more of an initial liking or disliking towards you. For example, for men - names that have an 'A' sound such as the one in "Matt", are liked more than names with an 'A' sound such as the one in "Paul". And the opposite is true for female names. And people base some of their first impressions, apparently on such details.
- My brother read or heard that names of upper class people tend to be more impressive. That if you want your kid to give a good impression, then a name that is currently popular in the upper class is better.

- My sister, (whether this is true or not) thinks that women who do well in life tend to have more 'male sounding names' ...she pointed out specifically actresses, like 'Darryl Hannah', 'Halle Berry', 'Cameron Diaz', for example.

- My observation: names I like others just hate! and vice versa!
First name is Paul Conformation name is Matthew
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Bon
Walking in the light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus
First name is Paul Conformation name is Matthew
Pretty accurate eh;-)))

Accurate this way......... I like the nonchalant way it was said I have trouble finishing something;-)

While the name Bonnie creates the urge to create harmony with people, we call attention to the fact that it causes a restless intensity that defies relaxation.

This name, when combined with the last name, can frustrate happiness, contentment, and success, as well as cause health weaknesses in the fluid systems, and solar plexus.

Your name of Bonnie creates a desire for association with people and new experiences, many of which have been rather bitter.

This name has given you a gregarious personality and a quick-thinking, creative, and versatile nature, but one that is very emotional.

You desire change and travel and would enjoy opportunities that allowed you to be creative and to act independently, rather than to conform to system and routine.

However, this name does not allow you to complete your undertakings, as farther fields always look greener.

Mental illness is what some have, not who they are.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 09:49 AM

Rubies,

I only skimmed your original post, but for once I'm not going to knock on the ladies for this one. Female names are hands down the most beautiful, I partially want a girl just so I can name her.

Boy names are generic and dull. Thomas, Daniel, David, Christopher, Matthew, Tyler, Robert, etc, etc...

Girl names on the other hand are so pretty and eloquent. August, Emily, Genevieve, Ruby (hehe), Sylvia, Victoria, etc..

It's quite obvious to me which sex won the name game.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:19 PM
SAS Member

I already decided what I'm going to call my kids :

- Dakota
- Rosie
- Harley

So I'd better have two girls and a boy or this plan won't work out! Seriously though, I love those names. I find a lot of names either old-fashioned or just too plain and boring.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 06:05 PM
SAS Member

I've always loved Nevaeh - heaven spelled backwards.

And Luke - love the name Luke! Zachary, like that one as well.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:01 PM

Tigran
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:22 AM
SAS Member

This is maybe not what your looking for, but theese are the names that I am going to choose between when I have children.

Girls:
Karin
Petra
Astrid
Ingrid
Freja
Tilda
Saga
Alva
Tyra
Selma
Elsa