Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Is there anything silly (nonsense stuff) you used to believe as a child?

3K views 66 replies 46 participants last post by  uziq 
#1 ·
When I was a child, my mother would quite often take me to various places on the tube, in London. I remember asking once if there was a loo (toilet in British slang) on the Bakerloo line because of it's name, lol. The line is coloured light brown on the tube map, though. Can't remember if mother even answered. Of course it's really called that just because of Baker Street and Waterloo stations.

#4 ·
When I was a kid me and one of my best friends made a pact that we would never stop believing that soft toys are really alive. There will always be a tiny part of me deep down, separate from reason, that will always hold on to that belief to make this world seem more magical.

#5 ·
I wouldn't call it a belief as such but I remember when I was little thinking that women just sort of became pregnant - I had no idea how it actually happened.

My best friend who lived next door told me how it really happened one day so later when I went back to my place I told my Mum what he'd said and asked if it was true. (My mother just said no.) :roll

#6 ·
There's a lot of things I wanted to be true, but didn't really believe. Like I wanted to be able to transform into a mermaid in water and I wanted to go to Hogwarts or have magical powers. I also created a fictional kingdom based on my house and toys and my brother's toys (like a ****-tier paracosm.) The hallway was a forest where (I think evil,) coal miners lived (I do not remember what the deal was with them,) certain toys were leaders of the kingdoms of me and my brother's respective bedroom kingdoms and our parents were natural disasters.

Nothing I believed in was really that interesting like I believed in God and Santa Claus for a while until I grew out of that.

#20 ·
#7 ·
When I was a six years old playing my game boy color I thought that my video game console as a concept came from an outside source. My mind was thinking that all ideas of public technologies was given to companies on a daily basis. Another thought was that I was playing my game boy color with another person from a different country.

#13 ·
That's interesting. I never believed that. Like the first time I heard it I kind of looked around to see how the faces of the other people looked when it was spoken and I could tell that most of them didn't believe it, either. No one said anything though. Hardly no one ever does with such things.

#15 ·
Me too on the fired thing. One time in kindergarten we were playing something and a girl yelled at somebody that they were fired from whatever place we were pretending to work at. I had never heard that term but somehow knew it meant you couldn't work there anymore but I thought it also meant you had to stand over a fire as punishment. So I asked my parents what it meant.

I used to believe since people were usually nice when we'd go places where people work, that it meant people had fun at work or enjoyed it. Of course now I realize they could possibly be at times, but are likely making the best of it.

In Super Mario Bros I used to believe that you could make Mario go to other secret places if you could jump high enough over the stairs or past the warp pipes. But I could never seem to figure hot how to do it.

I used to also believe that aliens were coming to my house, since kids at school used to tell me that in order to scare me. That was back when X Files was really popular so I thought about aliens a lot and was really afraid of them. I remember one Friday night we went to get a pizza and being terrified that when we got home the aliens would show up and look in the windows.

Plus I was also afraid of ghosts and the dark. I used to think that ghosts would get me if I walked down our dark hallway to go to my room without my parents. So if I went by myself to get a toy or something I had to turn on all the lights.

Also that the bathtub or shower could fall through the floor and you'd end up several feet under the ground. So I refused to close my eyes when I took a bath.

#17 ·
* That vending machines had people inside them who handed things out.

* That if you shine a light at a plane, the plane will crash because the light distracted the pilot.

* That if a cat drinks milk, it will explode.

* That there was a big, scary dog with wings that lived behind our shed.

* That if you keep turning a light on and off, you will get electrocuted.

* That if I looked in the direction I wanted to go for long enough when we were in the car, we would get there.

* That we had a ghost in our bathroom window at night.

* That my sister was dressed as Barney the dinosaur and was trying to scare me one night.

* That the little fluffy white flower things that don't have stems and blow around were fairies and you could make wishes with them.

* That I could write a letter to a company called The Shooting Star People and request to see a shooting star.

* That the colourful little pixelated looking things I could see in the dark at night were fairies floating through our house and keeping us safe.

* That my cousin hurt our driveway with his car and caused it pain by leaving white "bruises" all over it.

* That the cousin I was scared of for hurting our driveway had moved to China and couldn't fit in his car anymore, so couldn't visit us again.

* That on kids shows, the music is created by people dancing.

* That if I sent someone a Christmas card or letter, the card or letter would think I didn't like it anymore and was sending it away.

* That some words were only used by my family and weren't real words.

* That my eyeball fell out and landed in my glass of strawberry milk.

* That the man in the ice cream van picked his nose.

* That if a dog eats cat food, it turns into a cat and if a cat eats dog food, it turns into a dog.

* That kings, queens, princes and princesses were only for fairy tales and there were no real ones.

#18 ·
We used to walk to our cousins house in the dark sometimes, which was 2 miles away through unlit woods/countryside & I thought skeletons were following us & if I looked around quick enough I'd see them.

If I wore a superman costumn I could really fly.

I thought beams of light shining into the sky at night were coming from giants that were buried thousands of years ago but they were still able to open their eyes.

That being an adult was much better than being a child.

#19 ·
I thought that maybe satellite dishes could project TV into the sky, I remember imagining myself looking up and watching an episode of Rocket Power play among the clouds.

#21 ·
I was a very odd kid, when I was little I would have to touch something an even number of times. The reasoning for this, was because every time I touched something I thought I left a bit of me in it - touching it again would mean I gained that part of me back. I took that seriously too, if I lost count or could not touch the object twice I would have a little panic attack. So, I was very careful when touching things such as lockers at the pool, door handles, anything really - I would keep count to ensure I did not lose a part of myself in the object. It wouldn't matter if it was my own property, as I felt connected to everything that was important to me. Outside of our apartment though, it was imperative not to lose myself in other things unless I really wanted to leave a little piece of my own essence behind.. I also remember as a young child, ripping the pages in my book because I felt there was something magical contained within the pages themselves.

#23 ·
I was very gullible & my "friends" (kids my age my dad made me play w/ to "make" me social) would take advantage of it.
1.) We were in a big bubble bath & they said there was a bubble monster & I was so scared
2.) We were in the pool & they said there was a pool monster

Those are the 2 big ones I remember. I was in kindergarten & I hated playing w/ them but my dad made me. One time I didn't want to go over so I just went down the block & came back & told my dad they weren't home. I ended up getting in big trouble because my sister got home & said she was over there & they knew I was lying!

#26 ·
Everything magical and mythical. Fairies, Santa claus, the tooth fairy, leprechauns lol.

I didn't believe in the Easter bunny though since my parents were Christian and made it about Jesus and so the bunny always confused me.

My dad had a collection of books about mythological creatures I used to sneak into his study and look at. The paintings were really cool but some were really scary. So I believed in all the goblins and witches and stuff depicted in the paintings too and was afraid of the dark for a long time because of it. There was stories of people-eating monsters and witches who skinned children. There's a reason my mom didn't want me reading those books lol.

#28 ·
I thought Spiderman was creepy so I'd hide under the blankets thinking he would be running around the bedroom like a spider when I was asleep.
If you left your spoon or fork in the microwave it would explode like a bomb.
I liked playing the lava game and would jump across the couches.
If you didn't fart when you needed to you would die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.