is it strange to go for a walk alone? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

is it strange to go for a walk alone?

do you think it is normal for people to go for a walk alone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:58 AM
Broke boy

It’s not weird imo, perhaps at night it is and people will be weary of you/ closely watch you.. It is strange where I live, in the sense that I don’t see many people walking alone without a pet, or partner(s). I find when I go for walks at night, and I pass a couple, I get weird looks from the male when passing by on the sidewalk. Perhaps this is because I am alone and have a more intense presence at night. Societal precautions and the horror stories you hear on the news are largely responsible for this level of awareness. We evolved as a species to have a tribal “us and them” approach and to sense danger in the oddest of places. It is ingrained in all of us, the fear of the unknown.. Even in a small, quiet suburb you will be put on people’s radars. The media wants you to put bigger locks on your doors any-who.. I’ve been focusing on swaying my arms more when i walk to seem more “normal” and less like a bear-walk. I don’t like intimidating strangers but I seem to do so at times. It’s weird though, unless on a long, secluded bike path or something, i’m more weary of cars at night than i am of a random person on the sidewalk. (drunk drivers and sex traffickers)

You’re appearance really matters in this regard however, if you’re over 6’0 or just built, you will instinctually intimidate more people.

edit: I’ve learned that looking down when passing someone is seen as a sign of threat, because people don’t know what you’re doing / about to do. If you look straight ahead and down it’s more normal and seen as a sign of submission or something. Body language is huge and we don’t even realize it most of the time.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:17 AM
SAS Member

No, I did it all the time before I got my dog. And I tend to go in the middle of the night so people probably think I'm a bit strange anyway.

Work a little bit harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

@TheForestWasDark wow friend @ body language and "intimidating people" thing. you for sure overthinking things. what you are describing never crossed my mind/never thought about for once, however i'd feel little bit bad for myself because during all these years i lived, i failed to make even one friend to go out with.

i'm not used to going for a walk, but these days (i'm not sure if it's simply called aging ) these days i'm craving walking in nature more..
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 AM
The Meditator

Language: Enlgish
I've been going for a walk at the park every day for two years. Nothing weird about it and I see other people doing all the time as well.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:06 AM
☆ Moderator ☆

For about a week in January, I went for a walk around the park by myself most days. Iím going to start again this week.

I felt like I was doing something weird and that I would look suspicious or creepy, like I was doing something wrong, especially when I kept walking around. Then I noticed other people doing the same thing, and I stopped feeling like it was weird.

There was one time I turned around sooner than I wanted to to avoid passing a group of people I would have to be facing, and that probably looked weird if they noticed.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:50 AM
Broke boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coincidence View Post
@TheForestWasDark wow friend @ body language and "intimidating people" thing. you for sure overthinking things. what you are describing never crossed my mind/never thought about for once, however i'd feel little bit bad for myself because during all these years i lived, i failed to make even one friend to go out with.

i'm not used to going for a walk, but these days (i'm not sure if it's simply called aging ) these days i'm craving walking in nature more..
Ya i’m a bit paranoid, as people have made me feel self-conscious a lot in the past.. my city is very utopian i guess. It has one of the lowest crime-rates in Canada i believe.. It’s laid out with several suburbs and people here are very domesticated.. They really do mind their own business and don’t interact with each other at all aside from the few friends or social group they have. Makes it all the more unusual seeing a random dude walking alone at night with no real purpose, at least that’s how I feel about myself. What does anyone know however, it is for physical therapy and self-care in my books. It kind of feels cold in a way, and I haven’t made any friends since after high-school and now they have all went their own way. I’m not surprised my sister moved away to B.C right after school and hasn’t returned to live here since. The only activity or chance of making friends is gonna be downtown where there are clubs and some other forms of nightlife and that’s not my style really.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:47 AM
loser

Don't understand . It's not weird at all. I do it all the time.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 09:52 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
very normal

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 PM
SAS Member

Language: Anglais
Whenever my sa was full blown I would go for walks at night/past midnight and walk through the dead streets and dimly lit street lights. Thoughts to myself.. kind of enjoyable when your going through a heatwave.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Tired

Language: English
Yes. Not only weird, but immoral.

It's actually a bit weird imo to walk with other people

Enough about me, lets talk about you, what do you think about me?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 03:39 AM
Born Of Blotmonaū

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:21 AM
All Nightmare Long

My Mood: Twisted
Each time you ask yourself if it's okay to do ..... alone. Tell yourself that it's okay. A lot of people do many things alone.

Enjoy your programming
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:06 PM
☆ Moderator ☆

When you think about it, any type of walking is weird. You stand on one leg, then swap so you’re standing on the other leg, then keep swapping until you’re there.

Sometimes I go for walks in the house (up and down the same part) because it’s fun and means I don’t have to worry about the weather being bad or getting sore feet. One time I did that, I was thinking “This is weird. It looks like everything is moving towards you if you pretend you’re keeping still and everything else is moving.”

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Memory View Post
When you think about it, any type of walking is weird. You stand on one leg, then swap so youíre standing on the other leg, then keep swapping until youíre there.

Sometimes I go for walks in the house (up and down the same part) because itís fun and means I donít have to worry about the weather being bad or getting sore feet. One time I did that, I was thinking ďThis is weird. It looks like everything is moving towards you if you pretend youíre keeping still and everything else is moving.Ē
I want to get some kind of VR glasses that will make me see a walk in the park when I walk on a treadmill.

And for a custom touch, we could program all the german shepherds to be smiling and waving their paws as we walk past them.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:19 PM
☆ Moderator ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
I want to get some kind of VR glasses that will make me see a walk in the park when I walk on a treadmill.

And for a custom touch, we could program all the german shepherds to be smiling and waving their paws as we walk past them.
That would be a good invention. I like the part about the dogs smiling and waving.

There could be different settings to choose from like a park, cities you can choose from, day, night, different weather, busy places or quiet places. It would make treadmills more fun for people, but probably more dangerous if you canít see it under your feet.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 PM
I'm somewhat trash.

Language: American English
My Mood: Bored
No, at least I hope it's not considered weird because I do it quite frequently.
There's nothing like a walk alone, preferably at night, that soothes the soul.

"
Touch every county, let yourself be land.
Open all the inches to help you understand.
Never try to justify a listless sense of longing
With any sort of weakness,

Just play this song and go to Tixis.
"
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:22 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Worried
I love it. Helps me think and be calm

Live life no matter what.. never quit you deserve better.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 05:24 AM
SAS Member

No, I go for walks alone in my street all the time. As several people mentioned at night, I don't really like doing that. It doesn't scare me, but I worry about seeming creepy to the cars that pass by, or if anyone happened to see me. So I try to avoid it, but in the winter when it gets dark early it happens sometimes.

I rarely see anyone out walking at night here, but a few times I've seen a guy walking his dog at night.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 06:56 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Inspired
It's normal - lots of people do it, and love it!x

<3

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page