Is it a bad idea for me to buy a house? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Is it a bad idea for me to buy a house?

I've wanted to for a long time, but the prices kept going up and I felt like I couldn't afford it. But lately I've been running the numbers since the interest rates are really low right now. So I wanted to see what it would be. Dave Ramsey recommends your mortgage payment, property tax and insurance to be 25% of your monthly income, after taxes or less. I looked and I see houses sometimes I like for about $140,000. And when I ran the numbers on that with taxes and insurance it comes to just a bit over 25% of my monthly income. Plus I usually make a bit more but I didn't count it since it comes in bonuses that can vary. When I subtracted everything I could think of out of my monthly income I'd still have about $600-700 a month after food, gas, utilities, mortgage and insurance, car payment, cell phone, etc.

I'm not sure though, since I'm always worried how I'd afford it if I lost my job and had to take a part time one. Plus I hate change and I've always lived with my parents so the idea of being somewhere else, taking a different route to work, plus being alone so much seems a bit daunting to me.

What bothers me is if the prices keep going up and then the interest rate, then I might never afford it. And I'd really like the space of having my own place. Not so much the maintenance though and those expenses.

I've been at my job 6 years this spring. Plus I do have good credit last I checked which was last December.

It's funny because I think about this almost every weekend. But on Sunday night/Monday I'm glad I don't have a mortgage. lol

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 08:24 PM
(J)joke(pj)partjoke(s)sar

I think that interest rates will go down even more. And if we end up going into a economic slump I'm thinking housing prices will go down too. I'm not a real estate expert, but my opinion is that house prices are inflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post
I've wanted to for a long time, but the prices kept going up and I felt like I couldn't afford it. But lately I've been running the numbers since the interest rates are really low right now. So I wanted to see what it would be. Dave Ramsey recommends your mortgage payment, property tax and insurance to be 25% of your monthly income, after taxes or less. I looked and I see houses sometimes I like for about $140,000. And when I ran the numbers on that with taxes and insurance it comes to just a bit over 25% of my monthly income. Plus I usually make a bit more but I didn't count it since it comes in bonuses that can vary. When I subtracted everything I could think of out of my monthly income I'd still have about $600-700 a month after food, gas, utilities, mortgage and insurance, car payment, cell phone, etc.

I'm not sure though, since I'm always worried how I'd afford it if I lost my job and had to take a part time one. Plus I hate change and I've always lived with my parents so the idea of being somewhere else, taking a different route to work, plus being alone so much seems a bit daunting to me.

What bothers me is if the prices keep going up and then the interest rate, then I might never afford it. And I'd really like the space of having my own place. Not so much the maintenance though and those expenses.

I've been at my job 6 years this spring. Plus I do have good credit last I checked which was last December.

It's funny because I think about this almost every weekend. But on Sunday night/Monday I'm glad I don't have a mortgage. lol
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebootplease View Post
I think that interest rates will go down even more. And if we end up going into a economic slump I'm thinking housing prices will go down too. I'm not a real estate expert, but my opinion is that house prices are inflated.
I don't know about the interest rate, but I agree the prices seem inflated. Here they are almost as bad or worse as they were before the crash, in 2008. I didn't mention it, but it makes me want to wait and see if they come down. I'd hate to buy a house now and then they drop 1/3 to 1/2 later. Although I don't really see it dropping as much as they did back then. Some people were even predicting a price drop in 2020, while now others are saying it's still going to stay high for at least a year or two.

It's definitely a sellers market right now here, too much competition and not much out there for sale really.

Underneath the cold November sky, I wait for you... As the pages of my life roll by, I wait for you... I'm so desperate just to see your face, meet me in this broken place...

Be a little brave for a little bit of time.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 09:29 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Brooding
$140,000 for a house??! Holy crap. Even if you need to put in $30k worth of repairs, definitely buy it! That is dirt cheap. How many bedrooms and bathrooms does it have?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 01:33 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
Yeah, $140,000 is super duper cheap.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page