If you were dying, would you want you to visit? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:47 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
you????

pertinent in which way? visit the dyer? or they come?

to/from where.. whom??? which time envelope? just those 3 basic parameters.

who goes where when? one appended parameter.. death state before, after, pending..?

You can involve a mix of.. who?? them? her? him? where? when? self..??

everyone?? anyone? ..?? one?

band about... drum the tribal beat??? U? U? say it again?? empty, null, meaningless... i suppose music! just trawl about, touching heads in a crowd? make the rhythm U U U !! U or use own finga to point at self??

human addiction obsession

U = human.. all.. one U U2? a person using this word is a zombie: U
use the word U .. not knowing who oneself is or where they are.. or.... ~~~~

keep it up. keep doing it eyes or ears? mind contains only this phrase : "U"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 04:58 AM
Tired

Language: English
Not sure if I would be down by being visited by a fully healthy, probably gloaty (knowing me) clone of me in my final hours.

But with this kind of thing, I reckon the reluctance is probably more avoidance than anything else. Sure, its going to be awkward, but awkwardness isn't actually going to bother anyone else. The person dying isn't going to be lying there thinking "he is awkward, idiot", they will be more "****, I am going to die".

I don't think its going to harm, realistically. And the other people who do go might find it massively disrespectful you didn't go. They might not see an anxious person not going they might see someone who "couldn't even be bothered to come even though x was dying". They might also find solace and comfort with others being there at a difficult time.

So basically, watch out for stealth avoidance. It's a difficult thing, so its probably that.

Definitely go if you can, imo.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 05:13 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceptionalfool View Post
Well, I assume I would know that I am beyond salvation and I'm leaving the world and I would probably be scared. Anybody who is empathetic or sympathetic would be better than nobody. We would share mortality as a common weakness. A common fate to which we are both averse and empathetic.

i guess therein lies the fear of dying alone.
It can be a double-edged sword. When my dad was dying, just one conversation could take a lot out of him. If I got there too late in the day, he would be disoriented and out of it because he'd already used up his energy on earlier visitors, who would often stop by without any warning. Trying to arrange to see him in his last days was pretty tough sometimes, and there were many days when I would stop by just to watch him sleep for a while.

I'm not saying this is everyone's situation (my dad had a lot of friends!), but in my case I found the constant stream of visitors to be burdensome.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

I got out of it. She stated specifically that she wanted her children with her when she goes. Pfewwww.

I always run the risk of getting anxious and saying something inappropriate or acting weird in situations like this. By not going, that risk is eliminated. Some people might criticize me for not going, but they'd probably hate me and want me dead if I went and acted weird.

Loneliness is not about being alone; it's about not feeling connected.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

I went to see my mother-in-law this afternoon and was able to behave like a semi-normal person. I even made her laugh. And I didn't start blubbering until I got out of the room.

The world sucks.

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:54 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
No, I hate when someone pretends to be sorry for me and etc... The same goes for me. I don't like to see others in a very bad condition (not only dying), I can't think of anything to say or to do (as always). I'm useless at these situations as well as in anything else.

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

This is a unique experience for me as I have never known anyone well who was dying. That's one of the advantages of not having friends and family for most of my life, I guess, if there are any advantages.

My mother-in-law is lucid, and she knows she's dying. Her body is failing. She'll probably die within a few hours after they take out the IV tube, which is going to be either tomorrow or Wednesday.

She's already given up. She stopped eating, she doesn't want to watch movies or anything on TV. It's the finality of it is what gets me. Once they disconnect life support, it's the end of her life. There are no do-overs.

I can see why people believe in an afterlife. There's no comfort in thinking that once you die, there's nothing.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:17 PM
pirate

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maslow View Post
This is a unique experience for me as I have never known anyone well who was dying. That's one of the advantages of not having friends and family for most of my life, I guess, if there are any advantages.

My mother-in-law is lucid, and she knows she's dying. Her body is failing. She'll probably die within a few hours after they take out the IV tube, which is going to be either tomorrow or Wednesday.

She's already given up. She stopped eating, she doesn't want to watch movies or anything on TV. It's the finality of it is what gets me. Once they disconnect life support, it's the end of her life. There are no do-overs.

I can see why people believe in an afterlife. There's no comfort in thinking that once you die, there's nothing.

i find it pretty comforting that its gonna be all over. wouldn't want to have to go through some big afterlife ordeal.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:22 PM
bipolar

Quote:
I went to see my mother-in-law this afternoon and was able to behave like a semi-normal person. I even made her laugh. And I didn't start blubbering until I got out of the room.

The world sucks.
I think it's great that you managed to get there mate, she probably appreciated it - so would your wife I'm sure.

Hope she doesn't have to suffer for long.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:26 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
Quote:

I've only been close to one person as they were dying. It's tough.

My dad wasn't lucid in the last week before he died, after the cancer reached his brain. Even when he was awake, he wasn't there. He could follow basic commands, but he wasn't capable of holding a conversation. I'm glad because it made it easier on him, but it was hard for everyone else to see him that way.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
i find it pretty comforting that its gonna be all over. wouldn't want to have to go through some big afterlife ordeal.
Yeah, I'd probably get anxious talking to St. Peter at the Pearly Gates and say something inappropriate, and then they'd send me to hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
I think it's great that you managed to get there mate, she probably appreciated it - so would your wife I'm sure.

Hope she doesn't have to suffer for long.
I'm glad I went. I would have regretted not going for the rest of my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
I've only been close to one person as they were dying. It's tough.

My dad wasn't lucid in the last week before he died, after the cancer reached his brain. Even when he was awake, he wasn't there. He could follow basic commands, but he wasn't capable of holding a conversation. I'm glad because it made it easier on him, but it was hard for everyone else to see him that way.
It must have been tough seeing your father in that state. My mother-in-law is all doped up on morphine, so she's probably not in any pain.

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:54 AM
I'm SFC01

My Mood: Happy
My Dad died a few weeks back from mesothelioma (on my birthday too the git), although heavily sedated, he was still awake although completely delirious.

I wanted to be there with him when he went but I had to watch him struggle for breath for a while whilst he was still awake with eyes bulging, I wish I hadn't seen that to be honest.

Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page