If you were dying, would you want you to visit? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

If you were dying, would you want you to visit?

My mother-in-law is dying and I'm not sure if I should go visit her. I mean, we're not close. I've been more of a caregiver than a friend or family member. If I drove all the way to the hospital (which is about 1/2 an hour away), I don't know what I'd say. What do you say to someone who's dying? Sorry you're dying? And I don't know that she would really want me there for more than a few minutes. So I'd drive 1/2 an hour to spend a few minutes with her?

My wife is with her, and her sons will be there later. I really don't know what to do.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:25 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
No I can't stand me at the best of times.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:31 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
nah **** those satellite ppl coming to visit me if i'm dying.

anyway, when my mum was dying i was awkward as ****. i didn't have anything to say so i didn't say anything when i visited her. partly because we were never alone which made it more awkward. we were definitely not close either. also visiting her was a bit of a horror show tbh. idk why assisted suicide isn't a thing for people who are dying.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 02:38 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
also visiting her was a bit of a horror show tbh. idk why assisted suicide isn't a thing for people who are dying.
....I had a similar experience a few years ago with a respected elderly neighbour who I grew up around & he helped me alot, he was always a strong, proud person & it took him 2 months to die in the end losing his strength & dignity & I knew he didn't want it that way, they at least doped him up good on morphine in the end till his heart gave out.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:27 PM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
Does your wife want you there? If visiting would benefit her, then I would go if I were you.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
....I had a similar experience a few years ago with a respected elderly neighbour who I grew up around & he helped me alot, he was always a strong, proud person & it took him 2 months to die in the end losing his strength & dignity & I knew he didn't want it that way, they at least doped him up good on morphine in the end till his heart gave out.
That's how I want to go... doped up on morphine! As long as I was feeling good, I wouldn't want to die. But if I was in pain all the time and barely coherent, naa... Put a bullet in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
Does your wife want you there? If visiting would benefit her, then I would go if I were you.
I thought about that. I'll ask her.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 03:34 PM
'internet nerd'

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Sure I've never met me, might be interesting and if it's not I'll be dead soon anyway I guess.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

"Who are you to change this world?
Silly boy!
No one needs to hear your words.
Let it go."
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:02 PM

Language: sarcasm
Probably not, but in my fantasies yes. Especially the people I hate so I can finally tell them to **** off or what I really think of them haha

--

As for OP, I would visit not for the mother in law's sake but for your wife's sake. The mother in law is dying and it sounds like she doesn't really care about you anyway so it doesn't matter what she thinks but your wife will remember that you didn't visit her mom when she was dying.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:02 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Confused
If it's expected or if you've shared a good relationship, then yeah you should go and give her a gentle hug and tell her thanks for everything you've done for us or something similar, then kind of stand off in the background while her children spend time with her. She may have a few words she wants to share with you. It's respectful and it will probably prevent any sore/hurt feelings with the family later.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 PM
bipolar

Well unfortunately when I'm dying I'll defintely probably already be there. But in that situation it's probably a good idea just to go and make an appearance.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 06:30 PM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
I wouldn't want me to visit, but I wouldn't be given a choice. It's just expected in my family that you show up for things.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:04 PM
SAS Member

If it concerns people i got along well with then why not. For everyone else i can't see there being much point to it. I wouldn't want to be visited by such people or mind really if they didnt show up. Sometimes you might feel obliged to visit someone once and for a brief period out of courtesy...like if it's what your partner wants.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Good questions. I don't have good answers. I don't know that I'd really want to see anyone if I was dying. I also don't know what you're supposed to say to someone who is dying. But it certainly is an awkward and tragic thing to think about when you consider that often happens that the people in question are very close and probably really care for one another.

The closest thing I have really had was when my dog was dying and when I thought my mom might be dying. All I can say is that when it comes to people who have to actually watch someone they love die, I can understand why it sometimes just destroys them. If it isn't someone you care deeply about, it's probably best to ask if they want you there.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 PM
Cooking Chicken

I think if I was dying I would welcome anybody who cared about me and my situation. =l
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:03 PM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceptionalfool View Post
I think if I was dying I would welcome anybody who cared about me and my situation. =l
This is a reasonable thought but in the end, it's the loneliest road. People can be right there but they can't do anything. The knowledge of everything in a situation like that has to suck pretty bad.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Cooking Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
This is a reasonable thought but in the end, it's the loneliest road. People can be right there but they can't do anything. The knowledge of everything in a situation like that has to suck pretty bad.
Well, I assume I would know that I am beyond salvation and I'm leaving the world and I would probably be scared. Anybody who is empathetic or sympathetic would be better than nobody. We would share mortality as a common weakness. A common fate to which we are both averse and empathetic.

i guess therein lies the fear of dying alone.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 11:23 PM
It's not easy being green

Language: Bocce... it's like a second language to me.
It would likely depend on the cause of death, but I suppose not.

If life were easy, it wouldn't be difficult.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:17 AM
SAS Member

your presence may be enough. i don't even think you need to say much. maybe look to what your wife has been saying to her for some guidance, though.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:26 AM
bipolar

The closest thing to that I've experienced is when my father-in-law had just had a stroke. He was lying in a hospital bed sort of hand-cuffed to the side-rail, because he was very distraught and kept trying to climb over it. He couldn't talk anymore - he just was making all these awful noises and looked very upset.

I sat beside him for a while but I was crying so I didn't stay for long - I found it terribly sad. I wasn't even really close to him it was just horrible to see the poor guy reduced to that. He'd always been a strong man and he'd always been decent to me.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:30 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tea111red View Post
your presence may be enough. i don't even think you need to say much. maybe look to what your wife has been saying to her for some guidance, though.
Good post.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page