If you drink or did was there one specific moment that made you moderate or quit drinking? - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 11:04 AM
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

I pretty much stick with beer at this point. I woke up in my neighborhood garbage bin the last time I drank rum. The smell of rum just triggers bad memories and still does years later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingHearts View Post
I pretty much stick with beer at this point. I woke up in my garbage bin the last time I drank rum. The smell of rum just triggers bad memories and still does years later.
Ever figure out how or why you ended up in a neighborhood dumpster?
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 11:32 AM
‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Ever figure out how or why you ended up in a neighborhood dumpster?
Just remember trying to walk home from the party and I guess that's as much as I remember before I blacked out. Either way it was definitely due to careless drinking. Pretty sure I drank a full bottle of Sailor Jerry's spiced rum myself.

Even though it was my own fault I just stayed away from that stuff because it was like juice to me, just drinking it straight from the bottle and not pacing myself.
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 04:08 AM
SAS Member

i used to have blackouts when i drank.....i found it ridiculous.....id be fully aware up to about 4 pintds and then i would forget everything after that.....i thought it was pointless to drink like that. I eventually gave it up thanks to AA......AA made it so much easier to give up the booze
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 07:47 AM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishkarl View Post
i used to have blackouts when i drank.....i found it ridiculous....
Blackouts are great, it reminds me of being in the womb, just warm, fuzzy &.........wet or slimy <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/headscratch.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2 View Post
Blackouts are great, it reminds me of being in the womb, just warm, fuzzy &.........wet or slimy <a href="http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/images/smilies/headscratch.gif" border="0" alt="" title="" >:-)</a>
They have there good points I would admit as well. Unfortunately some bad experiences for me as well that put me in some bad situations!
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 03:57 AM
😀

There was one night back in 2013 when the guys and I drank a lot and our drinks got varied (rum to beer to tequila to other stuff I canít remember) and that time I was taking my antidepressants. I got so intoxicated and the guys had to drive me home and dragged me to my room which was very embarrassing. Possibly my worst (or in some other perspective, the best) memory on getting too drunk.

That didnít stop me from drinking anymore though.

No, what made me and the guys start moderating our drinking is our age. Going to our late 20s (and early 30s now), with our careers/work schedules and some of them starting to marry is whatís controlling us now.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 04:35 AM
experimental sincerity

With drinking, it wasn't so much a bad experience (and there were plenty of those) as fatigue. I just got fed up with horrible hangovers, talking about stuff instead of doing stuff, repeating myself over and over again and having conversations that don't mean anything and that no one remembers. Plus, blackouts seriously worried me. I felt like I was becoming a bore, a danger to myself and just really, really tired.

With drugs, I had a few rough experiences, last was an MDMA OD a few years ago. I'm very reluctant to 'let go' so I ended up feeling like I was barely holding on to my consciousness, which was scary. I recovered from that but then again overdid hash butter on toast. If I hit cannabis too hard, I start telling people horrible things about them, which terrifies me and I have to self-isolate. These were all my mistakes of bad dosing, but they still left me feeling very 'meh' about drugs.

Leonard Cohen (Bird on a Wire): I have tried in my own way to be free
Mrs Hudson (BBC Sherlock): Sherlock! The mess you've made!
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 09:36 AM
SAS Member

There isn't a particular moment that made me stop drinking. The hangovers just got progressively worse until it wasn't worth it any more.
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 08:54 AM
A Person

My Mood: Worried
Ever since going into my late 20s I don't feel inclined to over drink. I just don't get enjoyment out of being drunk anymore. I don't know why, and I assume it's just an age thing. However, lots of bad things have happened to me when I've been drunk so maybe my subconscious mind is telling me to not overdo it.

post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 07:41 AM
Your local potato farmer

Not a specific moment just the overall fear of being too dependant on it. Alcoholism runs in my family and I grew up with an alcoholic parent. Not a great experience

more issues than vogue
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 07:56 AM
Yoink

Don't let coworkers fill you with alcohol at a strip club when you are getting over a breakup.

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 08:40 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Breezy
I was a lush for a good number of years. While my friends would often get drunk I was always the drunkest. I only drank for one reason and for a long time I must have thought that more was better but at a certain point--probably in my late twenties, early thirties I began to see that it was affecting my health and my ability to run and to work. And the hangovers hurt more as I got older. So I've largely moderated alcohol, weed, etc, intake for the past 40 years or so. I had a lot of bad stuff happen because of alcohol but it was never those events that got me to change. I still see the value of alcohol as medicine and I thank alcohol for getting me in the door countless times. Still, it has its limitations and its downfalls. I guess I could call it a sweet deadend.

...you gotta keep the goal in mind, develop tunnel vision to a certain extent. it's hard, and it's not for everyone.

~bad baby

"Daisy, may I ask why you're holding Miss Sybil's biscuit jar?"
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 12:53 PM
SAS Member

I never had any negative experiences when I drank (I very rarely did before). It's just not something I'd want to spend my time and money on, and I don't want to damage my body.
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-16-2020, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbath9 View Post
Don't let coworkers fill you with alcohol at a strip club when you are getting over a breakup.

Sounds like a very good time until whatever went wrong by the end of the night! Care to share the story?
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 05:38 AM
Yoink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Sounds like a very good time until whatever went wrong by the end of the night! Care to share the story?

Ever since, I try to moderate and control my alcohol intake. I hardly ever drink anymore. I used to have a couple of beers at concerts, but no concerts lately.

Actually I prefer smoking marijuana to drinking alcohol. You can smoke half a joint and save the rest for the next day very easily.

I have bottles of Costco (Kirkland) vodka and spiced rum in the kitchen and I'll pour a shot with oj or mango juice maybe once every other month. So those bottles will last me years.

My wife doesn't drink or smoke. But she doesn't want to be the designated driver either. So at concerts I try to taper off beer intake towards the end of the night. Only once, on Tom Petty's last tour, did someone else have to drive us home because I was too drunk (my sister took the wheel, she was completely sober).

And I always thought this would be
the land of milk and honey
Oh but I came to find out that it's
all hate and money
And there's a canopy of greed holding me down.
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-18-2020, 12:17 PM
SAS Member

I've never touched the stuff. Growing up with two alcoholic parents and seeing all of that (still dealing with it every day even now) just never had any desire to drink. Even just smelling beer or wine, it smells awful to me.

Now soda, is my vice I need to deal with. I drink it almost every day, go through times where I cut back on it, but keep going back, because I don't want to drink water all the time. Honestly, I don't even like the taste of it that much. Not drinking it awhile and then going back it just doesn't taste right. I do like how it tastes from a real soda fountain though. I think soda and sugar loaded things are going to turn out to be the cigarettes of this generation unfortunately. Alcohol is almost harmless by comparison.
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy07 View Post

Now soda, is my vice I need to deal with. I drink it almost every day, go through times where I cut back on it, but keep going back, because I don't want to drink water all the time. Honestly, I don't even like the taste of it that much. Not drinking it awhile and then going back it just doesn't taste right. I do like how it tastes from a real soda fountain though. I think soda and sugar loaded things are going to turn out to be the cigarettes of this generation unfortunately. Alcohol is almost harmless by comparison.
Yea soda is not good vice to have either. Just from a health standpoint you may be better off drinking alcohol. But at least with soda you dont run into the legal issues and the issues it causes with your decision making. But soda is not good at all for your health either
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 11:37 AM
SAS Member

Yes, being threatened by 20+ people to beat me up, I quit drinking afterwards because those people had good reason for wanting me dead. I acted like an idiot because I wanted to experience and get comfortable with massive rejection.
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incapaz dseguir mintiendo View Post
Yes, being threatened by 20+ people to beat me up, I quit drinking afterwards because those people had good reason for wanting me dead. I acted like an idiot because I wanted to experience and get comfortable with massive rejection.

Sounds like an interesting story? Care to share? Sounds like you were approaching a bunch of women to get use to rejection and it didnt go well.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page