If you could start a new life in a new city anywhere in the world, where would you chose? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

If you could start a new life in a new city anywhere in the world, where would you chose?

I'm seriously considering it. I feel a bit sad that I haven't done it sooner... I still live in the same city where I was born and I HATE it. I have no friends, my work is from home, I hate this town and I want out.

My options are wide, but I don't have a clue. I am from the U.K. but I'd like to go abroad (I only speak English)

Where would you chose any why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Ok, Elvis impersonator in Las vegas, you can never have too many Elvis's.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:15 PM
SAS Member

Probably a rural desert area in Nevada. Or maybe Colorado. I'd pick up and move tomorrow but I kind of have roots where I am now so it's not so easy.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:21 PM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool user name View Post
I'm seriously considering it. I feel a bit sad that I haven't done it sooner... I still live in the same city where I was born and I HATE it. I have no friends, my work is from home, I hate this town and I want out.

My options are wide, but I don't have a clue. I am from the U.K. but I'd like to go abroad (I only speak English)

If you can earn a reasonable amount working from home you could consider Thailand. Maybe up in the north in Chiang Mai or even Bangkok. I haven't been to Chiang Mai (yet) but Bangkok is a great city - lots of expats already there, good infrastructure, and considerably cheaper than Western countries.

I have no interest in starting over anywhere. I have my family here so I'd never move somewhere else for good. I will spend a lot more time up in Asia as I get older though, as long as my health holds out. It's more fun - there's a feeling of life out in the streets. And your money goes a lot further.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 03:57 PM
👁 👁

Language: None
I'd move 2 miles north, to the small city of 10,000 next to my town. And I'd be able to start a new life there if I wanted to, because nobody knows me anyway.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 04:23 PM
Homicidal Furby 🔪

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I wouldn't probably want to stay in one place. With that in mind 屋久島 would probably be cool temporarily.

横浜市

Quote:
There’s easy access to nature here in Yokohama. There are parks and a beach near to where I live. Tokyo is a wasteland of concrete and despair.
lol.. Easy access to Tokyo though.

Also Prague.

Some ghost town where nobody has moved in yet:

The wretched world we’re living in at present was not an unlucky war of fate; it was an economic and political decision made without consulting the enormous human population that it would most drastically affect. If we would have it otherwise, if we’d prefer a future that we can call home, then we must stop supporting — even passively — this ravenous, insatiable conservative agenda before it devours us with our kids as a dessert. - Alan Moore

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2019, 06:08 PM
a

Language: English, C#. T-SQL
Based on cities that I have been to, a few stand out.

1) Leafy suburb of Seattle. My favourite city.
2) Chitose, Hokkaido (I found Tokyo too much after a while). Sapporo would be an alternative. Disadvantage would be needing to learn the language first.
3) San Francisco - although property prices are insane.

2b
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 02:57 AM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
If I could get a work visa or even better permanent residency, I'd move to Australia in a heartbeat. I think if I already had a visa, I could find a job there.

Melbourne sounds nice. Not as hot as Sydney but good public transit. Living in Australia would be like living abroad light. No need to learn a new language. Similar culture. But still an escape from many of the problems of the US- screwed up medical care system, gun violence, little to no vacation/paid-time-off.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:14 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
If I could get a work visa or even better permanent residency, I'd move to Australia in a heartbeat. I think if I already had a visa, I could find a job there.

Melbourne sounds nice. Not as hot as Sydney but good public transit. Living in Australia would be like living abroad light. No need to learn a new language. Similar culture. But still an escape from many of the problems of the US- screwed up medical care system, gun violence, little to no vacation/paid-time-off.
Melbourne's alright I guess. It does get hot here in summer - up to around 40 Celsius on some days. Not humid like Sydney though.

Getting pretty busy here - close to 5 million and will overtake Sydney as the biggest city within a decade most likely. Supposed to be 2500 new people arriving each week. (and as I like to say - they all seem to get on my bloody tram)

The other things you mention are probably true - especially if you can afford to live in a decent suburb.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:19 AM
a

Language: English, C#. T-SQL
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison View Post
Melbourne's alright I guess. It does get hot here in summer - up to around 40 Celsius on some days. Not humid like Sydney though.

Getting pretty busy here - close to 5 million and will overtake Sydney as the biggest city within a decade most likely. Supposed to be 2500 new people arriving each week. (and as I like to say - they all seem to get on my bloody tram)

The other things you mention are probably true - especially if you can afford to live in a decent suburb.
Have you been to Brisbane? My work colleague loved it when he lived there, says it's way better than Sydney or Melbourne. I've been meaning to travel to Australia for a while. Maybe next year.

2b
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:25 AM
bipolar

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
Have you been to Brisbane? My work colleague loved it when he lived there, says it's way better than Sydney or Melbourne. I've been meaning to travel to Australia for a while. Maybe next year.
Yes I've been there a couple of times mate - but I don't know it at all. Last time was about 6 years ago around the time my father died, he lived for ages up around there. The Sunshine Coast is quite nice, north of Brisbane - lovely beaches without all the nonsense of the Gold Coast.

Not really an area I ever think about much tbh. Sydney and Melbourne are the two cities I know - I grew up in Sydney but have been in Melbourne for 25 years. Perth's a nice city too - quite a few Brits there from memory. Great beaches as well and much quieter than the east coast of Australia.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:22 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
IF-YOU portrays a dangerous humanoid addiction.
as every TV presenter.. necrophiliac, any such paed...

smiling & giggling 100%+++

any upright erect four-limbed creature makes me need run away at speed especially anything wearing a Coat!!!!! Spew! Vomit!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:16 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
New York City. Went to Midtown Manhattan earlier this year and I loved it.

TRE45ON

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool user name View Post

I'm already living that new life and am living abroad.. if you really want to do something, then go for it!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:05 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
There's no such thing as a new life in this body.

/WYSD
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:13 PM
Maladjusted Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
There's no such thing as a new life in this body.
Ditto. As long as I'm trapped in this body, with this mind, there is no "new life".

Now I'm Nothing
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:19 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
Austin Texas
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:47 PM
Time to conduct evil...

Location is just different paintings, you'll never reach another brain.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:16 PM
Barbells and kittens

Rural Tennessee. Lots of job opportunities there. Cost of living not as low as here, but cheap enough home ownership wouldn't be a problem. Nice scenery as well with lots of space, trees, and mountains.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 02:40 PM
Cooked.

My Mood: Worried
Vancouver or Seattle.

Never could learn to drink that blood
And call it wine,
Never could learn to hold you, love,
And call you mine.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page