If you could change or stop one event in World History - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English

If you could change or stop one event in World History

If you could change or stop one event in World History from occurring to make the world a better place what would it be?

I would say I would go and stop Hitler from being born or kill him. Would save millions of lives. Wonder how today would be different if their was no World War 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 05:19 PM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
I would prevent the Library of Alexandria from burning. From my understanding, we would be quite a bit more advanced of a society if it had not burned down. This is of course discounting that it would probably result in everyone alive today from existing. So, I'll pretend this is in an alternate universe where it would have no impact on ours.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:26 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
I actually wouldn't have been born if World War 2 didn't happen lol, that's probably a win. In spite of that I don't think I'd stop it, I think I'd stop something sooner @zonebox 's answer is good actually.

There's so many possibilities really... Maybe I'd do something to mess with the progress of the Abrahamic religions development. Like something that would result in promoting apocrypha:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Testament_apocrypha

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_apocrypha

Quote:
”Jesus said to them ‘When you make the two one and when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside and the above like the below and when you make the male and the female one and the same so that the male be not male nor the female female… then you will enter the kingdom.’ ”
Quote:
"This is the first thought, his image; she became the womb of everything, for it is she who is prior to them all, the Mother-Father, the first man (Anthropos), the holy Spirit, the thrice-male, the thrice-powerful, the thrice-named androgynous one, and the eternal aeon among the invisible ones, and the first to come forth."
That would be fun to see.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persephone The Dread View Post
I actually wouldn't have been born if World War 2 didn't happen lol, that's probably a win. In spite of that I don't think I'd stop it, I think I'd stop something sooner
Yep lots of people would not have been born if WW2 never happened. The Baby boom generation would not have existed.

Although if all the people who were killed had lived a lot of them would have had kids as well. So gained child births in one group of people but lost it in another.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:19 AM
SAS Member

I've always had a time travelling fascination with going to Dallas on the day of JFK's murder. I'd stand near the grassy knoll and take a photo of the "2nd shooter", or maybe have a dog, or skunk, attack him before taking the shot.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
I would prevent the Library of Alexandria from burning. From my understanding, we would be quite a bit more advanced of a society if it had not burned down.
Yes imagine all the great works of literature and phlisophy that were lost in the fire of Alexandria. Made me think of what if Johannes Gutenberg had never invented the printing press. If it had never been invented much of that knowledge would have been lost to history because it never would have gotten put down on paper.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:40 AM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I wouldnt change anything. the whole time travel thing is just gonna end badly. I dont think I'd kill anyone. I dont have anything special to offer anyone from any time.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
The cynic in me says that hypothetical wisdom only seems wise until you try it. Reality usually doesn't follow the path you think it will. Or actually, any change you make is not going to lead to a straight path in the direction you aimed for. It's still going to go wherever it wants.

/WYSD
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:12 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
it's funny that people would go back in time to stop atrocities but wont stop future atrocities that they are causing now. in the future you'll have to go back to the past and kill yourself.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 12:33 PM
Greasy prospector

My Mood: Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Wonder how today would be different if their was no World War 2
Less advanced technology, possibly no nukes, no jet engines, no computers, probably more efficient medical techniques developed from treating so many wounded.

The tech probably might have been developed anyway but much slower, nothing speeds up technology advancement better than wanting to kill something more efficiently ... otherwise things stagnate.

And all our yesterdays have lighted fools the way to dusty death
Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,
A poor player that strut's and fret's his hour upon the stage and is heard no more,
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
- Macbeth
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 02:56 PM
bipolar

I'd probably just stop myself from coming off my medication about 8 years ago - I'd still have that 50 grand my father left me.

Other than that I'd have to think about it - which is not something I can manage at the moment.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:02 PM
SAS Member

Work a little bit harder on improving your low self-esteem, you stupid freak.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 02:41 AM
occasionally lesbian NRx

Location: I've come to burn your kingdom down one ****post at a time
Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinmd View Post
Yep lots of people would not have been born if WW2 never happened. The Baby boom generation would not have existed.

Although if all the people who were killed had lived a lot of them would have had kids as well. So gained child births in one group of people but lost it in another.
Yeah that's a good point. I was thinking more directly because one of my grandparents only ended up married to another because she had to move country as a byproduct of the war but yeah the mass cultural thing meant a lot more people were born in the next generation then would have been otherwise.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 08:34 AM
--

History always has ramifications you can never account for. Killing Hitler might result in even more deaths. You have to remember that there were a lot more expansionist states around other than Germany, and that the public resentment existed in spite of Hitler, he just gave a voice to it.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omni-slash View Post
History always has ramifications you can never account for. Killing Hitler might result in even more deaths. You have to remember that there were a lot more expansionist states around other than Germany, and that the public resentment existed in spite of Hitler, he just gave a voice to it.
Very true killing Hitler may not have changed much. Stalin or some other dictator at the time may have just picked up the slack and killed more people. But you never know.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
I'd eliminate any and all forerunners of our species, maybe as far back as the first creatures to crawl out of the Sea onto land. Or perhaps just kill the first basic, unicellular organism so that life would never have gotten going on this planet at all.

Our highly evolved state has always been exceptionally unlikely; that it could happen again some other place and/or time is possible but not plausible. But could you imagine this planet if we weren't here to pollute, mutilate and destroy it? **** Humanity.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 04:47 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Sleepy
One thing. That's not possible.
Other one is that if you change past, it doesn't mean that you'll have better present or future, it might even become only worse because of that...
Watching Steins;Gate really made me think of that...

Even shy people can be sassy sometimes...
I'll put drunk raccoon in my signature as well, because I CAN...
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:05 PM
SAS Member

Language: 英語と日本語
The Big Bang.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:10 PM
Not A Low Calorie Food

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by komorikun View Post
The Big Bang.
What if the big bang was really just a little pop?

/WYSD
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragammon View Post
I'd eliminate any and all forerunners of our species, maybe as far back as the first creatures to crawl out of the Sea onto land. Or perhaps just kill the first basic, unicellular organism so that life would never have gotten going on this planet at all.
Don't sound like you think to highly of the human race! Agree in a lot of ways just look at all the violence and the way we have destroyed the planet. But the human race has done some good things as well so you got to take the good with the bad I guess

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page